Bed mount spare tire?

• HTML tutorial
O

OtterJohn667

Considering moving the spare for my Tundra to the bed rather than underneath. Running OEM sizing, so it's not huge. But I've had situations in the past where I've been belly-down in mud and thought "if I need the spare, I'm outta luck." I'd rather not use a hitch mount, as to not obscure my parking sensors and camera (the Tundra is also my daily driver).

Thinking about something like this: Flat Bed Mount Tire Carrier
Or even just laying it in the bed; I have a heavy-duty bed mat, so slippage shouldn't be an issue.

Thoughts?

Note: please move this thread if it'd be better placed elsewhere; couldn't find a good board where this would fit besides here.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
As long as you dont need the room it takes up, why not. I do recommend you dont just lay it in the back. Ive seen too many things bounced out of the back of vehicles in my time.

Reactions: OtterJohn667

Countryboy20241

Rank IV

Member II

Taylorsville, IN, USA
First Name
Russell
Last Name
Woodhouse
Member #

Considering moving the spare for my Tundra to the bed rather than underneath. Running OEM sizing, so it's not huge. But I've had situations in the past where I've been belly-down in mud and thought "if I need the spare, I'm outta luck." I'd rather not use a hitch mount, as to not obscure my parking sensors and camera (the Tundra is also my daily driver).

Thinking about something like this: Flat Bed Mount Tire Carrier
Or even just laying it in the bed; I have a heavy-duty bed mat, so slippage shouldn't be an issue.

Thoughts?

Note: please move this thread if it'd be better placed elsewhere; couldn't find a good board where this would fit besides here.
I use a 589 Fab spare tire mount with tie down to put it in my Diesel ZR2 and it keeps it standing to limit the amount of room it takes up. Works great.