Beavers Bend/Broken Bow, Oklahoma

• HTML tutorial

The GrooGrux King

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Dallas, TX 75218
Member #

With this cooler weather down south, the wife and I are heading into the Broken Bow/Beavers Bend area of Oklahoma.

Last weekend, I spent some time going through and reorganizing our gear and working through the checklist. We ordered a new tent this year, to try and get away from the large cumbersome Coleman Montana that we were using. Having a large tent has its pros and cons, but unfortunately for us, weight and space is takes priority. After repacking everything, I was able to condense our things into three of our Plano Sportsman containers (kitchen, sleeping, dry goods). By leaving the Colman tent behind, I lightened the load by 35lbs.

As far as the trip itself goes, I’ve spent little time in this section of the Ouachita National Forest, but was able to use simple 3D mapping to acquire a general route, with three or four water crossings. The total mileage of unpaved travel is approximately 110 miles. That’s if the track I have saved has no closures and isn’t marked as private property. Either way, there are miles and miles of backroads that should take us through a scenic adventure in the woods.

Is anyone familiar with the with area or planning on being around throughout the weekend?

IMG_5154.jpgIMG_5155.jpgIMG_5165.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

ShriverSauce

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Argyle Tx
Member #

Looking forward to you scouting the area and reporting back. We are looking at the K-trail in November, but I have read the trail is closed so alternatives would be great. Have a good trip.

mcdarter92

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Northwest Oklahoma City, OK
Member #

Subscribing to see how your trip goes! I was just down there a couple weeks ago, granted I didn't go off road while I was there but it was my first time being in the south eastern part of the state. It was absolutely beautiful.

The GrooGrux King

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Dallas, TX 75218
Member #

Okay, so we had to cut our trip short. Instead of staying Friday through Sunday afternoon, we headed back to Dallas Saturday evening as I has checked the radar and we had 75% thunderstorms in the forecast for the evening/early morning. So, taking into consideration of the trails we were on, only having one rig and being just over 3 hours back to the house, we called it and decided to make the trek back to Dallas. With that being said, we are definitely going back up there within the next few weeks. I haven't uploaded the photos or video that was taken with the DSLR yet, but I can at least share the pics I was able to take with my phone.

Overall, this route was awesome. Trails were fairly easy, but I do however, like to take the most difficult line I can at times LOL. We only came to one blocked off trail throughout the entire track, which is due to logging taking place in the area.

Approximately 8 miles into the trailhead off highway 3, entering in at the southwestern section of the Ouachita National Forest.
IMG_5168.JPG IMG_5169.JPG

Glover River Crossing
IMG_5170.JPG IMG_5172.JPG

Friday nigh's base camp. I spent a little too much time wheeling through the forest that we ended up being a little rushed to find a spot, but I spotted a fire ring about 30 mins before dark.
IMG_5194.JPG
IMG_5182.JPG

There is always time for s'mores!
IMG_5188.JPG

Saturday morning, we packed up and headed northeast to get a little hiking in before it got hot on the Lakeview Lodge Trail. This was a pretty well traveled trail. We passed 8-10 people throughout the 4 mile hike.
IMG_0036.JPG
IMG_5207.JPG

After the hike... I was a little parched, so we took a trail back to highway 259 and stopped in to checkout the Beavers Bend Brewery. Pretty cool spot with a large patio area that is four-legged-friend friendly. Only downside is that being in Oklahoma, the brews are only 4%... including their IPAs and stouts. It was at the brewery when we looked at the radar to see what the clouds above us had planned, to find out we had a 75$ chance of thunderstorms throughout the night and early morning.
IMG_5199.JPG

After making a plan with the rain ahead of us, we decided to go ahead a get some more exploring in before having to head back south to Dallas. This was on the way up Holly Mountain Trail. I believe we were about an hour into the trail when we started to be able to see a view.
IMG_0035.JPG
IMG_0043.JPG
IMG_0058.JPG
IMG_0034.JPG

At the top of trail, approximately 715 feet of elevation, overlooking the northwestern mountain fork of Broken Bow Lake.
IMG_5205.JPG

#DoItForTheGram
IMG_5200.JPG

Where base camp will be in a few weeks!
IMG_0039.JPG
IMG_0048.JPG
IMG_0056.JPG

I will be sure to share more photos once I pull them off the DSLR and card.

Attachments

ShriverSauce

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Argyle Tx
Member #

Looks like a great time. We are going to have to keep this route at hand for an upcoming trip. We are still planning the k-trail in a couple of weeks, but the status is still a wild card. We may be following your path if ours is closed. Thanks for sharing.

The GrooGrux King

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Dallas, TX 75218
Member #

Looks like a great time. We are going to have to keep this route at hand for an upcoming trip. We are still planning the k-trail in a couple of weeks, but the status is still a wild card. We may be following your path if ours is closed. Thanks for sharing.
Let me know when you guys are going. We are headed back the weekend before Thanksgiving.

DCFISK

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

LANTANA, TX
Member #

Is there any way you could send me a more detailed map of your trip? Headed up that way with Shriversauce and his family this weekend, and we are having route issues for our trip a little further north. Would be nice to have a sure thing in our pocket in case we run into trouble.
Thanks,
Dcfisk

With this cooler weather down south, the wife and I are heading into the Broken Bow/Beavers Bend area of Oklahoma.

Last weekend, I spent some time going through and reorganizing our gear and working through the checklist. We ordered a new tent this year, to try and get away from the large cumbersome Coleman Montana that we were using. Having a large tent has its pros and cons, but unfortunately for us, weight and space is takes priority. After repacking everything, I was able to condense our things into three of our Plano Sportsman containers (kitchen, sleeping, dry goods). By leaving the Colman tent behind, I lightened the load by 35lbs.

As far as the trip itself goes, I’ve spent little time in this section of the Ouachita National Forest, but was able to use simple 3D mapping to acquire a general route, with three or four water crossings. The total mileage of unpaved travel is approximately 110 miles. That’s if the track I have saved has no closures and isn’t marked as private property. Either way, there are miles and miles of backroads that should take us through a scenic adventure in the woods.

Is anyone familiar with the with area or planning on being around throughout the weekend?

View attachment 36888View attachment 36889View attachment 36890

week

up

The GrooGrux King

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Dallas, TX 75218
Member #

Is there any way you could send me a more detailed map of your trip? Headed up that way with Shriversauce and his family this weekend, and we are having route issues for our trip a little further north. Would be nice to have a sure thing in our pocket in case we run into trouble.
Thanks,
Dcfisk
Here you go -

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Where base camp will be in a few weeks!
View attachment 37649
Had already scouted this spot after being in the area the same weekend. Planning a weekend trip up Holly Mount probably fall of next year, after I get my Jeep finished. Is there room up there for a couple vehicles and 4 tents? We will be getting off highway 3 at the same spot you did.

Did you go all the way to the end of Holly Mt Trail? it appears there is a house or building there, was just curious what it was.

Last edited:
Reactions: The GrooGrux King

The GrooGrux King

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Dallas, TX 75218
Member #

Had already scouted this spot after being in the area the same weekend. Planning a weekend trip up Holly Mount probably fall of next year, after I get my Jeep finished. Is there room up there for a couple vehicles and 4 tents? We will be getting off highway 3 at the same spot you did.

Did you go all the way to the end of Holly Mt Trail? it appears there is a house or building there, was just curious what it was.
There is plenty of room for multiple rigs and tents. What you’re seeing on google maps is actually a deck that someone built. I️ wouldn’t walk on it, it’s super sketchy.

Reactions: Prerunner1982

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
Did you run into any private land? Any questionable sections of the trail? I have a stock height WJ (for now) and am looking for trips. I've raced mountain bikes in this area before and it was very scenic! I'd love to go back with my rig.

Reactions: The GrooGrux King

The GrooGrux King

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Dallas, TX 75218
Member #

Did you run into any private land? Any questionable sections of the trail? I have a stock height WJ (for now) and am looking for trips. I've raced mountain bikes in this area before and it was very scenic! I'd love to go back with my rig.
I never came across any private land that wasn't clearly marked if that is what you're asking. There are a few trails that you will see have been marked by a gate or purple paint.

soonersfan

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Oklahoma City, OK
First Name
Phillip
Last Name
McIntosh
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5LTZ
Holler at me if you’re going back in late December and want some company. If it’s not too cold, I might see if any of my kids want to take a camping trip over their Christmas break. We’d be coming from Oklahoma City.