Bears & Fridges

• Hi Guest, you may choose a LIGHT or DARK theme that works best for you with the "Style Chooser" button at the bottom left on this page!
  • HTML tutorial

PeteCole

Rank III
Adventure

Member III

Carmichael, CA, USA
First Name
Peter
Last Name
Cole
Member #

I'm new to overlanding...and building out my rig. But I'm wondering how having a Dometic (or other) fridge is going to do with the potential for bears. Any one have any advice? Stories?

I want to get a fridge, but not sure if I should just plan on keeping in the rear seat of my Dual Cab Tacoma....or if I should build a sliding tray in the bed and leave it outside the truck. I get my roof top tent on Monday and I'm not sure how I feel about food being directly beneath me while my kid and I are asleep out in the cuts.

Am I just trippin or should i be worried? I plan on having bear spray and an air horn...not to mention a firearm or two. But still....I would rather avoid a confrontation with our furry friends if possible.

rgallant

Rank II

Enthusiast II

British Columbia
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gallant
Ham Callsign
VE7REJ
The fridge is not your issue, bear issues basically fall in to 3 types :

1. A dirty messy camp. Bag your garbage, seal all open food in to zip locks inside air tight containers. Keep the garbage up a tree away from camp
  2. Human habituated bears. These guys are almost always at dirty camp sites or places people do not camp bear aware. If you find a dirty camp site in bear country move on, you are likely to have a problem.
  3. Curious bears, they tend to be young cubs or yearlings. No telling when one could show up but generally loud noises move them right along bear bangers or even 2 pots banged together
In nearly 20 years in bear country camp wise I have 3 cases 2 were young bears, 2 cubs who thought my 5 gal red fuel can was the world's biggest salmon berry. I just went back to sleep, their mom had it under control. And the other young one was a nosey yearling, he scared himself off when he knocked a cast iron frying pan off a table it was pretty funny to watch.

Had a grizz amble by when I tent camped, moved into the truck after that, did not sleep well that night he was a big fella. But he was just on his way somewhere,thankfully.