Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Salem, IN
First Name
Stephen
Last Name
Williams
Member #

My wife and I are heading to the Tennessee Mountains in April. The camp site we are staying at does not have bear proof boxes to put your food in. Soooooo, anyone have any dry box manufacturers they recommend or home builds they suggest? The boxes will be kept in my military trailer in the open. I have two RTIC coolers that I will keep the cold items in.

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

Personally, I hang my food items when in bear country. I would get in touch with the park office and ask them what they recommend. They will know pretty well what works for that area. Apart from that, you can buy bear canisters from outdoor/camping stores in various sizes. Depending on where you are going it would be a good idea to not have the food in your car. My friends door was pried open by a hungry black bear at a state park once. He had a hard time explaining that one to the insurance company. Parks, especially, have a bear or two who are regulars and often know where to locate the food, that is why I recommend getting in touch with the park/forest rangers for the area. For back country, like I said, I prefer hanging. And if I have a cooler, I stash it under the vehicle away from my tent.

Reactions: WillyGoat

WillyGoat

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Salem, IN
First Name
Stephen
Last Name
Williams
Member #

Just a quick update. I have been doing some research on the topic and have found out a few things: The National Parks have really good information on what is allowed (Thanks Chris Jones). From there I researched a number of approved manufacturers and ran across Zarges Aluminum Cases. They are not the cheapest in the world but their product line is amazing. https://www.zargescases.com/ I have ordered Model 40678 https://www.zargescases.com/products/shipping-storage/shipping-storage-standard-cases/k470/ The dimensions seem good for typical food storage and if I need more storage they can be stacked securely. Between my RTIC coolers and this box I think I have found a good combination of storage. Thanks Chis for sending me in a good direction.

Reactions: Ironhide Fx4