• HTML tutorial

Trail_pilot

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
Are you spinning the tires off the wheel? I would love beadlocks on my rig but the axles would likely cry lol. I am a fairly aggressive driver and run 6-8 psi max off road with out beadlocks. Also I would rather repair a blow out on the trail than a broken axle. But maybe I am not as hard on the skinny pedal as you are.
What kind of vehicle do you drive and what terrain do you hit?

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
How do Beadlocks break axles? I've run the Walker Evens and the Raceline. Its just a rim that clamps the tire in place. If your referring to tire spinning, it wont matter whether of not you have a bead lock. I cant count the number of broken axles I have seen over the years. Most of those didn't come from tire spin. Big tires, low gearing, too small of axle diameter and fatigue. That's where most happen out here.

A couple of things you need to know about Beadlocks. Most tire shops wont touch them, you must torque the beadlock ring carefully or you chance warping it, they are not legal on the street in some states.
There's quite a number of fake beadlocks out there. some of which you can only tell its fake by carefully looking at it. This means the odds of you being pulled over for them is slim.

The area that I play in, it's a good idea to run them but I have only seen a couple of tires roll off the rims over a few decades. This didnt occur from tire spinning but flex on side hills or rocks running low pressure.

When I bought my Walker Evens bead locks, they were the best game in town. They are way too heavy and that's why I switched to the Raceline. Most of my friends run Raceline or Method now. I run a fake beadlock on my Cruiser, because I like the look and didn't need to spend the extra cash on beadlocks. I found out later that I could have gotten some Method beadlocks for less money than my Fuel rims. Had I known that, I would be running those right now.

Trail_pilot

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
How do Beadlocks break axles? I've run the Walker Evens and the Raceline. Its just a rim that clamps the tire in place. If your referring to tire spinning, it wont matter whether of not you have a bead lock. I cant count the number of broken axles I have seen over the years. Most of those didn't come from tire spin. Big tires, low gearing, too small of axle diameter and fatigue. That's where most happen out here.

A couple of things you need to know about Beadlocks. Most tire shops wont touch them, you must torque the beadlock ring carefully or you chance warping it, they are not legal on the street in some states.
There's quite a number of fake beadlocks out there. some of which you can only tell its fake by carefully looking at it. This means the odds of you being pulled over for them is slim.

The area that I play in, it's a good idea to run them but I have only seen a couple of tires roll off the rims over a few decades. This didnt occur from tire spinning but flex on side hills or rocks running low pressure.
I'm not saying that beadlocks break axles but the added traction mixed with an apparent heavy foot could do the trick. OP hasn't stated what vehicle, or terrain or why they need beadlocks because they are an "aggressive driver".
I 100% agree that usually an breakage is caused by a weak link and not a wheel, but a heavy foot is #1 cause lol. And I agree most tire shops won't even look at them, and they are high maintenance to make sure everything stays torqued. A buddy of mine would have to re-torque his after ( and sometimes during) every trip.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
This may be more Pirate 4x4 than OB.
Naw
10 years ago, yes. Today most of the "hardcore" vehicles are set up with want not need. Nothing wrong with setting up your vehicle they way you want it to look. I would run them on a street only vehicle because I have always like the way they look. Don't need anymore but if the price was right, I would have a set now on my Cruiser.

Reactions: LostWoods

LostWoods

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
lastname
Member #

I consider myself one of those who go harder than most around here and while there's no substitute for what beadlocks can do, I don't want them on a daily driver or rig that sees mostly higher speed off road. There's too many trade-offs with weight and ride quality for me to put them on anything that isn't bashing rocks every other weekend.

But as was said above, a bit more info might be good for helping you figure out alternatives... beadlocks aren't really a need unless you do a whole lot of sand driving or are doing some really technical crawling and can't get enough patch out of a normal setup.

tetonshaggy

Rank IV

Traveler III

Mapleton, UT, USA
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Berry
Member #

Are you spinning the tires off the wheel? I would love beadlocks on my rig but the axles would likely cry lol. I am a fairly aggressive driver and run 6-8 psi max off road with out beadlocks. Also I would rather repair a blow out on the trail than a broken axle. But maybe I am not as hard on the skinny pedal as you are.
What kind of vehicle do you drive and what terrain do you hit?
I have an 08 FJ Cruiser. I spun the tire off the wheel cutting sharp turns at high speed in sand. I fixed it no probs but wish I could just drive hard and not worry.

Reactions: Trail_pilot

tetonshaggy

Rank IV

Traveler III

Mapleton, UT, USA
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Berry
Member #

This may be more Pirate 4x4 than OB.
Naw
10 years ago, yes. Today most of the "hardcore" vehicles are set up with want not need. Nothing wrong with setting up your vehicle they way you want it to look. I would run them on a street only vehicle because I have always like the way they look. Don't need anymore but if the price was right, I would have a set now on my Cruiser.
I’m all about performance over look. I want to ride hard and fast when I feel the need for speed