Battery powered tools

• HTML tutorial

armourbl

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Phoenix, AZ
Member #

I'm contemplating getting a few battery powered tools. First items on my list are cordless impact and maybe a chainsaw. I'm wondering what other similar items people carry and what brand you like to standardize on for compatibility of batteries.

ben

KRGibbs

Rank V
Launch Member

Contributor III

Belmont, CA
Member #

I use the milwakee cordless tools. I like the massive amount of tools compact size, fast charging, solid power. I generally carry an angle grinder, sawz all, ratchet, impact driver/drill hand vacuum and a rotary tool. That has pretty much covered all of my needs. There are 2 form factors for batteries for those tools so I bring 4 total batteries, 2 of them are tiny though, and a charging dock.

If you bring a chainsaw, bring a gas powered chainsaw.

armourbl

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Phoenix, AZ
Member #

Thanks for the response. I'm not trying to perform heavy duties with a battery powered chainsaw. Saw a video recently where a guy used one for some basic trail maintenance and then for some firewood gathering. Seemed really nice and convenient, especially if the battery form factor matches other tools.

Still researching, so I'll definitely consider a gas one instead.

ben

Lost-Again

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Texas
First Name
Lost
Last Name
Again
Member #

Go brushless. Can't beat Makita. But pricey. Cry once. Well.... You'll cry again when you want to purchase additional batteries.

Reactions: 64Trvlr

tritonl

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Lukasz
Last Name
Mikula
Member #

Ridgid works very well and they have a lifetime battery warranty which I think is worth it by it self.

phxdsrtrat

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Glendale, AZ
First Name
Curtiss
Last Name
S
Member #

I didn't want to spend a fortune on power tools I was going to leave in my rig. I did want a common battery and a 12 volt charger. I went with Ryobi. I have a drill, tire inflator and chain saw which all use the same battery that I can charge from a 12 volt outlet. They all work very well and didn't break the bank.

-Curtiss

Reactions: Desert Runner

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

Have the Ryobi 40v chainsaw and a few other 40v and 18v power tools and all except the weedeater get the job done. The chainsaw will work well enough for basic trail clearing on a short trip but extended trips like the Expedition Overland McKenzie Trail episodes will require a gas unit. :)

All chainsaws are more efficient with a sharp chain but it is critical for electric chainsaws. You'll waste a lot of battery power if you chain is worn or dull so keep it sharp! Ohh and buy a chainsaw case no matter what the power source because they all leak bar oil.

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
I have a 1/2 drill, 1/2 impact and compressor from Greenworks at Amazon. 24V lithium batteries hold charge in storage for over a year. I think I'll get the chain saw next. They have a lot of stuff in 40V now. I think the 40V stuff would be even better than my 24V. You can operate these tools a long time on a single charge.

ohiowrangler

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Newark, Oh
First Name
Ron
Last Name
Darling
Member #

So, I was camping with my 4x4 group, on a very wet weekend. We were all trying to start fire to knock off the morning chill, then Ernie broke out an interesting tool. He brought a battery operated leaf blower(Milwaukee), needless to say in 5 minutes the fire was going nicely. Wet wood wasn't an issue. Always be mindful of your area, limitations and bans. Ron

Corbet

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Durango, CO
First Name
Corbet
Last Name
Hoover
Member #

I have a Stihl msa 200 battery saw. It’s fantasitc for basic trail maintenance. Had it on a 4 day trip this spring and it handled that on a single charge. As a tool for just in case we encounter a blocked trail it’s great. If you know your going to find many obstacles then it’s better to have a gas saw.

I own plenty of other cordless tools but don’t bring any of them when wheeling/overlanding.

Reactions: In Itinere

m_lars

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Heber City, Utah
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Larson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7ATX
I’m a dewalt guy, they’ve served me well for 20 some years. I’ve switched to 20v a few years ago. I love their 20v/60v flexvolt system, the 60v stuff truly has the power of corded, but I can use the battery in 20v tools. Most of what I’ve got is construction related and doesn’t go in the trail, except my 1/2” brushless impact. I’m contemplating the 60v chainsaw for simplicity. I know I won’t use it much and 2 cycles can be finicky if they sit, especially if you use the wrong fuel. It’s interesting to me how the preferred brand seems to change regionally, dewalt was about the only brand I saw in use in MN. In UT it seems to be Milwaukee.

utspoolup

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Member III

Murray Utah
Member #

Im also a dewalt fan. Nothing wrong with milwakee, but with discounts the Dewalt is a GREAT deal cheaper, and they serve me well. I have everything upgraded to the flex volt battery. The 20V and 60V can both use the flexvolt battery. The 20V battery only works on 20V or 18V with an adpater that makes the tool more awkward than a one legged midget in a butt kicking contest.

I use the 20V fans in the tent, 1/2 inpact, angle grinder (master key when the world ends), compact reci saw (better and just as useful as the chain saw, really a fan of them), have the 12V adapter and built some rope llights for the tents etc. That about all I would take on the trail.

For the home I have pretty much everything else including the 60V weed eater and 20V hedge trimmer. The lawn mower sucks ass, went 80V greenworks with the 80V leaf blower and snow thrower. All electric at my place and I like it.

Also the Dewalt charge station takes 4 20V batteries and make AC with a modified sine wave, great for running fridge, motors, etc during power outages or JIC. I use the goal zero yeti for the TVs/ pellet grill/ etc.

Enthusiast II

Hartford, SD
Most of my cordless is snap-on from my mechanic days. I have some newer Milwaukee cordless ratchet that is pretty darn handy. My Snap-on 3/8 and 1/2 inch impact are about 12 years old. 7 of those where everyday use in the shop. So they took a severe beating. I just last week had to have some of my batteries rebuilt. If I was looking today I'd take a serious look at Milwaukee brush-less. Good power for the money. I can honestly say I've never regretted spending the money on better quality tools or parts.

Reactions: T.Shack

Sauerkraut088

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Wequetequock
First Name
Wesley
Last Name
Wollschlager
Member #

I use craftsman 19.2 volt tools. They work great for me. I bring 1/2 impact gun, reciprocating saw, angle grinder with cut off and grinder wheels, and drill. I carry these, 3 spare batteries, drill bits, self drilling screws, and some bailing wire for trail repairs. I came this into a rubber made tote box. I carry a basic set of tools as well and other quick repair items. .

SgtMac

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Tucson, AZ 85747, USA
First Name
Jon
Last Name
McGuire
Member #

Service Branch
USAF Ret.
I have the Dewalt 60v Chainsaw, and assorted 20v tools. The chainsaw has been great for cutting up downed trees for firewood, or clearing a path. The only downside to it is it leaks bar&chain oil when bouncing around in a case in the back of the truck, but I put some shop towels under it.

Reactions: RichieFromBoston

utspoolup

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Member III

Murray Utah
Member #

Try a recip saw with bosch edge 12 pruning blades. Almost as great as a chainsaw, way safer, no lube required, longer battery life, 1/3 the price, and blades are just $4 each. I picked up a Dewalt XR brushless compact recip. Dam thing is amazing and takes up less room in the too bag. Check the amazon reviews, many people use them for trail maintenance, firewood gathering, etc. Works awesome.

Reactions: SgtMac

T.Shack

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Red Bluff Ca.
Member #

I have had Makita 18 volt stuff for years I keep the 1/2" impact on the truck. The take a drill, Sawzall, 1/4" impact on trips.

GabrielSyler

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Chatswood NSW, Australia
Member #

Impact driver ( for tent pegs), chain saw, lamp and a 12v charger. If I have space I'll leave the blower and angle grinder in the vehicle. I've found an angle grinder is always useful.

Vlad

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Portland, OR
First Name
Volodymyr
Last Name
Vasylenko
Member #

Like lots of ppl here, I use DeWALT just because it’s “Toyota” in tools when it comes to reliability. Also it’s a brand new vehicle I’m driving so I wouldn’t like to drive with anything gas powered inside simply because of the smell that will accumulate. It happened I already had 3 60v sets (grinder, sawzall, skillsaw) but when I go in the trail I only get sawzall and 2 extra batteries from other kits. Planning to purchase 60v chain saw to use it instead of sawzall but it works for now. 3 batteries is enough for a lot of work + it’s usually charging while driving.

Last edited: