battery operated camp fan

• HTML tutorial

Scout

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Jamestown,NY
Member #

Who uses what? I sleep in the bed of my truck along with my wife and hopefully 2 dogs..My topper canvas is black and I have a piece of insulation board on top.. Mainly so rain water doesn't pool. I have 2 smaller 5" fans but they don't really push the air.. I know that battery operated fans don't have 1000 cfm of air movement, but what do you all use, if anything?? I want to be a little more comfortable sleeping and if the dogs and wife are a little cooler, I think we'll all sleep better.. What do ya have??

Enthusiast III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Huelsman
We have one of the caframo sirocco II that powers off a 12v supply that I have mounted with clips in the rtt that I would highly recommend to anyone and I just picked up the dewalt jobsite fan that runs on their battery for the dogs. Its a pretty nice fan and picked it up last weekend on sale.

DeltaBravo

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Sun City, TX
First Name
Dennis
Last Name
B
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG1N
I just added the Ryobi fan to my collection. That gives me a drill, a circular saw, a saber saw, a flashlight. With two batteries and the charger, I should be good for most stuff. The fan is two-speed and reasonably quiet on high, almost silent on low. Supposed to last for several hours on a single charge, but I can't confirm that yet. HTH

Dennis

Reactions: Scout and SubeeBen

glade8r

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Franklinton, NC, USA
First Name
Jamie
Last Name
Wells
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4UFU
I run 2 Autocraft AC845's 12 volt fans with a Goal Zero 150. They use little power and move a good bit of air. Happy with them and they are cheap.

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
I use my goal zero yeti 400 and a fantastic fan. Fans just plain use a ton of power so you will either get poor performance or poor battery life. I use the goal zero for led lights and phone/camera charging as well so it’s multi use. In my truck I use this on low or medium if it’s really hot. The hi setting is like a hurricane. I also use this in my 12’ shift pod and it just plain works great. I wish there were some 12v fans that used brushless motors so they were more efficient.

39F05F9D-E4FF-45AC-A57A-19D552F8500E.png

Reactions: Kent R

Enthusiast III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Huelsman
I use my goal zero yeti 400 and a fantastic fan. Fans just plain use a ton of power so you will either get poor performance or poor battery life. I use the goal zero for led lights and phone/camera charging as well so it’s multi use. In my truck I use this on low or medium if it’s really hot. The hi setting is like a hurricane. I also use this in my 12’ shift pod and it just plain works great. I wish there were some 12v fans that used brushless motors so they were more efficient.

View attachment 105307
How do you figure? Here are the specs of my fan I mentioned above:

12 Volts: High .34 Amps, Medium .25, Low .14
High: 140 cfm; Medium: 115 cfm; Low: 90 cfm

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
I looked at that fan before buying and it didn’t put out enough cfm nor a wide enough air pattern.

Enthusiast III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Huelsman
I looked at that fan before buying and it didn’t put out enough cfm nor a wide enough air pattern.
Interesting. I used it last weekend while taking a midday nap, as I need a fan and it was 3’ up from the bed and maybe 5’ from my face, whereas my wife doesnt. I even had it mounted in my truck for the dogs during our road trip.

SubeeBen

Rank V

Advocate I

Alpine, CA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Jacques
Member #

Love my ryobi fan & moves a lot of on on high serving also has low as well. Uses 18v cordless batteries & if you go for the big battery packs they last 6 to 8 hours on high & significantly longer on low.

Reactions: Scout

Scout

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Jamestown,NY
Member #

I have the Ryobi tool kits, both older version and newer.. That means I have a few different batteries.. For those of you using the Ryobi, do you think it pushes a lot of air to cool my wife and I along with a 55 and a 75 lb dog in a 6.5' truck bed? I'm mainly concerned with keep them cooler. My bed topper has 4 vented windows for a cross breeze. But I'd like the additional fan breeze if the night air is still.. ALSO, when I posted battery operated, I meant other than 12v battery.. I don't want to hook up to the truck battery, yet..

DeltaBravo

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Sun City, TX
First Name
Dennis
Last Name
B
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG1N
Scout,

If you've got a lot of Ryobi batteries, just buy a couple of the fans - one for the wife, one for the dogs - and be happy! I'm sure they'll run long enough to keep everyone cool until the night temps drop.

Dennis

Reactions: Scout

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran

Scout

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Jamestown,NY
Member #

I did buy one of the Ryobi fans.. for $40 how couldn't I ?!! Glad I did too. I'm thinking I may not even need to use it on high.. I'll find out soon enough.. I may throw all the bedding in the back and sleep in it the this weekend. Just to see how stuffy it'll get before needing the fan..Another good thing is that with this fan I can keep a nice breeze flowing under the 270* awning.. If/when I decide to add walls either screened or solid panels, It'll just add to the comfort level.. Thanks everybody..