Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Collinsville, Illinois, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
W
Member #

I'm looking for recommendations or suggestions on a new kitchen table for a base camp setup. Going to be used for prep, cooking and cleaning. Currently using one of those plastic folding Rubbermaid style which isn't bad but I want something more sturdy along the lines of https://www.frontrunneroutfitters.c...ess-steel-prep-table-with-foldaway-basin.html but hopefully more affordable. One with a basin would be great but doesn't have to have one. Any suggestions store bought or homemade would be awesome, thanks.

oneleglance

Rank V

Contributor II

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
LANCE
Last Name
BLAIR
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE7NKP
I love my original Front Runner stainless table, it has been on 3 rigs and worked amazingly well from cooking to field parts repair.
I have not used the newer design but if mine ever dies I will go to a cabinet shop and have them bend me some stainless and have a buddy weld some aluminum tubing for the frame and legs.

Reactions: TacoDia

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
I'm looking for recommendations or suggestions on a new kitchen table for a base camp setup. Going to be used for prep, cooking and cleaning. Currently using one of those plastic folding Rubbermaid style which isn't bad but I want something more sturdy along the lines of https://www.frontrunneroutfitters.c...ess-steel-prep-table-with-foldaway-basin.html but hopefully more affordable. One with a basin would be great but doesn't have to have one. Any suggestions store bought or homemade would be awesome, thanks.
I would search Amazon.

JimBill

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

San Benito County, CA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Madison
Member #

Which Coleman model is that?
Coleman Pack-Away Deluxe Portable Kitchen, but a little older model than what is offered now. Search amazon, it is there and also a few others. The Camco stuff might get you the quality you are after, but I have no complaints on the Coleman.

Reactions: MiamiC70

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
This may be too simple for you but I just use 3/4 plywood cut to fit my bed and a couple folding saw horses.
Fits everything, height adjustable.
KISS (keep it simple stupid) Just an expression but I find it works for me on almost everything I do, especially when just starting out. Utube videos have given me a lot of insight over the years. Many people start out doing something one way and later change as they see the need or acquire more experience.
It takes practice to become thrifty, if thrift is important. It is to me with my limited funds.

Reactions: M Rose

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
KISS (keep it simple stupid) Just an expression but I find it works for me on almost everything I do, especially when just starting out. Utube videos have given me a lot of insight over the years. Many people start out doing something one way and later change as they see the need or acquire more experience.
It takes practice to become thrifty, if thrift is important. It is to me with my limited funds.
Most of my gear comes from yard sales and thrift stores with the occasional want add purchase, seldom do I go to the store for adventure gear

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Most of my gear comes from yard sales and thrift stores with the occasional want add purchase, seldom do I go to the store for adventure gear
It really helps to shop the shopper pages. I bought a great set of short (30") filing cab (wood) drawers from Habitat Restore sales yard for 10 $ that I plan to use for my kitchen.
The drawers are rated at 200# per drawer. Where I get picky is with shelter and sleeping gear. Creature comfort stuff !

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I
It really helps to shop the shopper pages. I bought a great set of short (30") filing cab (wood) drawers from Habitat Restore sales yard for 10 $ that I plan to use for my kitchen.
The drawers are rated at 200# per drawer. Where I get picky is with shelter and sleeping gear. Creature comfort stuff !
should mention sleeping bags, and a few must have right now items I do buy new, but I search for the best deals both locally and on the net

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I

should mention sleeping bags, and a few must have right now items I do buy new, but I search for the best deals both locally and on the net
I'm looking for a good used T4 Gazelle tent right now and a wide sleeping cot (32"). I have a bad back and weigh 250# so I need a comfortable bed. Back of the LRD2 is okay for a few nights with the help of a quality roll up memory foam mattress, after that I need a decent bed !

Getting back on OP, I noticed Northern Tool had a 36"x36" Plastic folding table on liquidation sale this week for $38, normally $65 ! Also quality 20" jumper cables for $29 normally $60. You cant buy the cable and make them yourself for that kind of money. Also for guys needing heavy ga. cable for solar set ups is an excellent buy.

Reactions: TacoDia

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I have this one and love it. 30" x 48" Stainless Steel Commercial Folding Work Table Undershelf It's not as pretty as it once was. It's 5 years old and is great, the extra shelf underneath is great for storing washbins and such.
That IS a delux table. I checked the site to see how much it weighs and they had no info. Since it is fairly large, where do you store it for your trips ? Can your better half handle it okay without help since it is fairly heavy I assume.

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I have a truck with a shell, it goes on the driver side lined up with the tire well. The shelf and long stuff go behind it.The weight is about the same as most, the lower section is separate. It is a great table. My better half passed about 4 years ago, I always set up camp so it wasn't a issue. When we went someplace all she ever had to do was pack her bags and put them by the door. She pitched in, I never asked her to help with anything. I was just happy she'd go dry camp for 2 week unsupported.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I have a truck with a shell, it goes on the driver side lined up with the tire well. The shelf and long stuff go behind it.The weight is about the same as most, the lower section is separate. It is a great table. My better half passed about 4 years ago, I always set up camp so it wasn't a issue. When we went someplace all she ever had to do was pack her bags and put them by the door. She pitched in, I never asked her to help with anything. I was just happy she'd go dry camp for 2 week unsupported.
Sorry to hear about you loss Mike, it's a big change in one's life. I lost mine 8 years ago after 59 years of marriage. Haven't got use to it yet. I considered a pick up rig but my knees are not suited to crawling around on them. At least with my LRD2 I can get to things from a side doors and the back door is a swing out without a tail gate. I have seen here in the forums some mighty nice pick up rigs and set up's.

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

Jim, I wish I had words for your loss. I don't think losing a spouse is something you get over or used to. I don't miss my wife any less than than the day she passed. I miss her less often most days.
We chose the rigs that work best for us, the reason I love a thing is the reason you hate it, and visa versa.
As long as we get out and do is all that matters. I spent 2 weeks helping set up a whale watching camp in the middle of Baja. one of the high lights of my life. Being able to see whales within 30 seconds of looking out and able to hear them breath when the air is still is beyond description. The boat trip where you interact are incredible. Here is the facebook page with videos of the boat trips.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Jim, I wish I had words for your loss. I don't think losing a spouse is something you get over or used to. I don't miss my wife any less than than the day she passed. I miss her less often most days.
We chose the rigs that work best for us, the reason I love a thing is the reason you hate it, and visa versa.
As long as we get out and do is all that matters. I spent 2 weeks helping set up a whale watching camp in the middle of Baja. one of the high lights of my life. Being able to see whales within 30 seconds of looking out and able to hear them breath when the air is still is beyond description. The boat trip where you interact are incredible. Here is the facebook page with videos of the boat trips.
All's well Mike. They should ban the killing of whales all over the world IMHO. We dont need any more Moby Dicks ! We dont need anything from this mammal.