Base camp shelter: standalone vs vehicle mounted?

• HTML tutorial

Ben Cleveland

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Nashville, TN, USA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Cleveland
Member #

So we have a bit of a problem. Our fam wants/needs some sort of shelter structure. Primarily for shade (because TX is hot and sunny), possibly cooking, and being able to hang out while sheltered from rain and wind. No real need to sleep in this shelter. We have a RTT for that.

So which is better? Pros and cons of each? I’ve been wanting a vehicle mounted awning for a long time, love them and the simplicity of setup. But our roof rack is only getting more loaded down. And the clam style pop up shelters are cheap, have amazing reviews, and arguably just as easy to set up.

Sooooo which did you choose and why? Go!

vegasjeepguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gravette, AR, USA
Member #

I am an awning fan and am contemplating asking one to my trailer. But I will always have a pop up canopy because of the flexibility it affords. I can imagine a few scenarios where I would want the flexibility of where to place the pop up due to terrain, weather and foot traffic flow. And in my book, you can never have too much shelter.

3E46E2E2-4EBF-4A42-ADB8-E630AD5FEEDD.jpeg

ohiowrangler

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Newark, Oh
First Name
Ron
Last Name
Darling
Member #

I don't like having my vehicle tied to the ground. I use a separate tent and a tent attached to the rear of the trailer. A pop up canopy doesn't take up much space and is very handy when more shelter is needed. Ron

systemdelete

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Nashville, TN
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Rumbaugh
Member #

I have a vehicle mounted 270 degree awning for quick temporary setups, but I still prefer my MSR Parawing for shade at a basecamp, especially in windy conditions. If pitched correctly for certain sites, you can either channel a breeze through the tarp to cool you, or rotate it 90 degrees and send the breeze over the tarp. It's a fantastic design MSR purchased from Moss outfitters when they got out of the tent business a while back. My father has a Moss that's going on 20 years old now and still kicking, and my MSR is nearing a decade.

Reactions: Jason Jackson

sabjku

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Alexandria, VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Beh
Member #

This is the primary reason I went the trailer route. I have my RTT and Foxwing on the trailer, can stage that, and then have my vehicle to be mobile, especially when I’m in a new area that I’d like to scope out more.

With that said, I love having the ARB awning on my Jeep-can stop anywhere, any time, and instant shelter.

Reactions: Nomadik Nova

Ben Cleveland

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Nashville, TN, USA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Cleveland
Member #

The trailer route is what we’re planning longer term. Partially for ease of coming and going from a base camp, partially for ease of heading out of town and being able to keep everything pre-packed.

Honestly y’all are convincing me that since we’re choosing only one of the awning options now, freestanding is probably better. We’re looking at the clam tent setup, only $300ish for the entire thing plus wall panels. And it’s got excellent reviews.

Something else I’m realizing is that it doesn’t make sense for me to bolt MORE camping gear to my roof rack when the camping gear that’s already up there is driving me crazy. I love the roof top tent but not on my 4runner. I think we’re going to go with the clam shelter and add a mounted awning whenever we get a trailer and more complete base camp setup.

MLGrace

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

LAKESIDE AZ
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Grace
Member #

Service Branch
Army Veteran
C0920112-EBB4-4C83-96E7-98850BF362C0.jpeg 46A2A55B-07EA-4196-BE66-F25446E0AA60.jpeg
So we started off with the sunshade with sides set up next to the trailer. And we still take it. Then we added the ARB awning and zip in room. Love it.

The awning is super fast to set up. Ties securely to the ground. Is easy to adjust for rain and wind. It is light and can be set up by one person.

Horse Soldier

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Louisville Ky
First Name
B
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Take a look at the roadhouse tarp by slumberjack. Retail is 119.00 but I pick up 3 for 80.00 on Amazon during a sale. It works great on my tj and any where else I use it.

Berkshires

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Berkshire, MA, USA
First Name
K
Last Name
L
Member #

If it were mainly shelter from the sun, some rain and a place to cook, I like the simplicity and conviencnce of an awning . On the other hand, if bugs are an issue, then a free-standing clamshell design with screens is the way to go - we have the clam corporation quick set-up shelter which is great.

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

i love my simple cheap quick shade, it's a little bulky but very versatile and if something happens to it I'm not out much money. I use it at home if I'm stuck outside working on a car project , out camping its great for setting right next to the fire and staying dry and getting the heat from the fire to stay warm , put a tarp on the side facing the wind and everything stays dry . and it takes a whole 2-3 minutes to put up .