Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Egan
Last Name
Burgess
Member #

I have read that Bald Mountain is open in the winter. I checked the website and it does say that it is open, however it has not been updated since 12/5. With the storms we have had recently I would be suprised if it is open, but I would like to know? Has anyone ran it in the winter?

Capture.PNG

Reactions: CSTrooper

shoredreamer

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Santa Cruz
First Name
Chris
Last Name
RRU
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6AZV
I'm curious as well. Want to head out that way on Sunday. Have a feeling it's pretty buried up there tho.

bacon_taste

Rank I

Contributor III

It's closed. Went to yosemite yesterday and Miami creek is open, but good luck getting in without 33s or bigger, horrible ruts. 2 weeks ago I was going to scout bald mountain, and dinkey creek road was closed.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using OB Talk mobile app

Egan

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Egan
Last Name
Burgess
Member #

It's closed. Went to yosemite yesterday and Miami creek is open, but good luck getting in without 33s or bigger, horrible ruts. 2 weeks ago I was going to scout bald mountain, and dinkey creek road was closed.

Thats whay I figured, I wonder if the road will get plowed or if it is closed until spring.

bacon_taste

Rank I

Contributor III

From what I've read, it's closed to all but local residents. Afaik that means spring atleast. It sucks, because Tioga pass being closed either cuts off areas or adds tons of travel time on highways if I want to do anything northeast of fresno

Egan

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Egan
Last Name
Burgess
Member #

From what I've read, it's closed to all but local residents. Afaik that means spring atleast. It sucks, because Tioga pass being closed either cuts off areas or adds tons of travel time on highways if I want to do anything northeast of fresno

Where are you? There are some ares in Stanislaus National Forest open.

Egan

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Egan
Last Name
Burgess
Member #

Coulterville to Curry Villiage via Trumbull Peak and Foresta, checkout this post. There are a bunch trails, fire roads and forest service routes that are generally open. You can find them on google maps and/or Google Earth, use the .kml files as reference.

LukeD

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Atascadero, Ca (Central Coast)
Member #

This is strange, every year a Jeep XJ group does Bald Mountain in the snow, must be because of the extra heavy snow pack this year.

RockRanger

Rank 0

Contributor II

Dinkey Creek Road washed out between Shaver and Rock Creek road a few weeks back. It supposedly is open to locals but closed to everyone else. That is why the trail is listed as open but people say it is closed as you can't access it the typical way. You can get around the wash out area by going past Bretz Mill campground in Blue canyon and you come out where Rock Creek Road and Dinky Creek road meet. There have been people going in and out of Bald Mountain this way sense the wash out. It will add a significant amount of time to get to the tower. No idea on how much snow is up there as I haven't been yet this year.

Reactions: KC2BUN

Zargon

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Reviving this thread here, I am making an impromptu trip up to sierra national forest, and was wondering if anyone has information regarding if bald mountain trail is open.

Reactions: 94Cruiser