DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

Altoona, Pennsylvania, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
This will be the trip planning for a extended trip with overnight stays and daily exploring that will be an attempt to off pavement travel from the begining of one to the end of the other.

Looks like it is possible according to the maps I have. Will need to get some tires in the mud to see for sure.

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
Just a heads up but the MABDR connects the two.
Glad you said that, because that is my next question.

I see on the map some of the roads and drivable trails overlay with it (thinking it was MABDR). I was not aware that it was a drivable trail, but then when I recalled MABDR it was set up for dual sport motorcycles.

Then after seeing the roads connecting with it, I was curious if cars/trucks were allowed.

Then as I had went back to the map it is listed as Mid State Trail. And then thought, well maybe I got the 2 confused.

So then the confusion/frustration set in. And thus set up my next question

Is the Mid State Trail and MABDR one in the same?

Do they allow travel with a car/truck/suv?

And then if so...this got a lot more interesting.

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Glad you said that, because that is my next question.

I see on the map some of the roads and drivable trails overlay with it (thinking it was MABDR). I was not aware that it was a drivable trail, but then when I recalled MABDR it was set up for dual sport motorcycles.

Then after seeing the roads connecting with it, I was curious if cars/trucks were allowed.

Then as I had went back to the map it is listed as Mid State Trail. And then thought, well maybe I got the 2 confused.

So then the confusion/frustration set in. And thus set up my next question

Is the Mid State Trail and MABDR one in the same?

Do they allow travel with a car/truck/suv?

And then if so...this got a lot more interesting.
Mid State Trail is hiking and the Mid Atlantic Backroad Discovery Route (MABDR) is traversable by car/truck/suv.

Reactions: DBAR and DevilDodge

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
Thank you. My confusion was knowing just a little about each.

But, as I look at the map, I see my confusion was warrented.

I am assuming the Mid State Trail runs along/with some roads. As they overlay each other in many spots.

And I realize the map I am referring to may not have the MABDR listed.

Time to step back and wait til I have the actual paper maps in front of me...the phone is just too small lol

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Thank you. My confusion was knowing just a little about each.

But, as I look at the map, I see my confusion was warrented.

I am assuming the Mid State Trail runs along/with some roads. As they overlay each other in many spots.

And I realize the map I am referring to may not have the MABDR listed.

Time to step back and wait til I have the actual paper maps in front of me...the phone is just too small lol
Haha. Here you go.

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
So, the MABDR is definitely the most straightforward way to get there. And I am extremely disappointed in myself for not noticing that this was accessible to 4x4 vehicles.

Now I have another trail to explore. Glad to see this is fairly new, so I didn't miss it for long.

Now, just to get the chance to get down to it.

Think this might be a kill 3 birds with one stone scenerio.

I can get into Rothrock and into Bald Eagle all while checking out MABDR.

Dustinfromohio

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Wooster, OH, USA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Parsons
So, the MABDR is definitely the most straightforward way to get there. And I am extremely disappointed in myself for not noticing that this was accessible to 4x4 vehicles.

Now I have another trail to explore. Glad to see this is fairly new, so I didn't miss it for long.

Now, just to get the chance to get down to it.

Think this might be a kill 3 birds with one stone scenerio.

I can get into Rothrock and into Bald Eagle all while checking out MABDR.
When are we going?? Lol. Seriously though, I’m up for a weekend messing around trying out possible routes

Reactions: DevilDodge

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Thank you again @Wawa Skittletits.

Have you done any exploring on this?
No problem! I've been wanting to drive the whole thing since they released it but my experience with it has been limited to Pennsylvania. I have other routes I like in Virginia/West Virginia and plenty of additional routes on the hit list.

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
Looks like for me I will start at Mcalvys Fort and then head towards Rothrock. When I enter there, i will make the decision to explore or continue to Bald Eagle.

The main objective of the first trip is to orient my maps and check out entrances/exits. I would also like to get a personal opinion of each campsite. There are only 8 in Rothrock...but they are spread out. The ones in Bald Eagle are closer together overall but spread out as well.

Was hoping the ice would melt off or get a fresh. 2 inches of snow...but looks like I will not be making a trip this weekend.

Starting to plan the 3 routes...

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Looks like for me I will start at Mcalvys Fort and then head towards Rothrock. When I enter there, i will make the decision to explore or continue to Bald Eagle.

The main objective of the first trip is to orient my maps and check out entrances/exits. I would also like to get a personal opinion of each campsite. There are only 8 in Rothrock...but they are spread out. The ones in Bald Eagle are closer together overall but spread out as well.

Was hoping the ice would melt off or get a fresh. 2 inches of snow...but looks like I will not be making a trip this weekend.

Starting to plan the 3 routes...
With this latest cold snap it’s going to be getting to the point where I caution people driving the more challenging trails in BESF. There’s a lot of water holes and every time someone drives through them and breaks up the ice it freezes thicker and more jagged. Time after time. That jagged ice has the potential to do a number in the undercarriage so just be careful and take things slow.

Reactions: DevilDodge

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
Started my build thread aswell

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
So, trying to figure which thread to use the most and decided maybe this one since it incorporates both of my planned destinations.

I gave the link to my build thread and the other 2 threads are in this section (Bald Eagle in a ram or 2 and Rothrock in a ram or 2)

As stated in them we geocache and orienteer. And as luck would have it there is opportunity for both on this trip.

So, plenty to do...anxious for the fun to begin.

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
Fuel. Gas. Guess it is time to consider.

I have a 32 gallon tank on the truck. I avg about 11 MPG on my current weekend excursions and would guess I would be near that on this trip. So...planning on 290 miles to be the oh crap mileage.

Looks like fuel stops are pretty numerous...but I haven't really put pen to paper on it.

I am guessing fuel won't be an issue as I should be able to do round trip on a tank.

I will carry 5 gallon gas just for easing the mind.

So that will be part 2 of planning. Gas, how long it will stay in the tank and where I can get more.

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
I plan to do the 3 case setup for food, supplies, and gear.

I have an 8 foot bed so lots of room...I just want it to be easy and not a chore (like all the crap we take when we trailer camp).

Gonna gather a list and fill them up.

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
Next, shelter. Gonna start with the tents we have. They will work fine and be enough.

Eventually just want a sleeping area in the truck and minimal setup for camp. Just want this to be easy and simple.

On to the thinktank. Got some daydreaming to do.