Launch Member

Traveler II

Carlsbad, CA, USA
First Name
user
Last Name
name
Member #

I have seen posts about Washington Route anyone do the other routes? Experiences, Pictures, advice?
WABDR
AZBDR
COBDR
ORBDR
there are a few others but I am mostly interested in the routes closer to CA. Also if you ride MC I can go that route also.

Thanks

Terry Pickens

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Evansville, WY, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Pickens
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTV
I so want to do all these routes plus the new ones coming out in New Mexico. Wis they would hurry up and put the ow together for CALI

Reactions: 1derer

shoredreamer

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Santa Cruz
First Name
Chris
Last Name
RRU
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6AZV
There are a couple that I know of in California. One thru Mendocino and one thru the Sierras from hwy 80 heading north. Having one thru the length of the state would be cool. Full dirt from Oregon to Mexico. Might be possible if you dig in to some maps and research for a while to link up roads and forests...

Terry Pickens

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Evansville, WY, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Pickens
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTV
Yes I have information on some of the shorter ones, but the Backcountry Discovery Routes from north to south would be great to follow. Guess I might have to explore and come up with my own tying existing routes together until they come up with one..

1derer

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Carlsbad, CA, USA
First Name
user
Last Name
name
Member #

There are a couple that I know of in California. One thru Mendocino and one thru the Sierras from hwy 80 heading north. Having one thru the length of the state would be cool. Full dirt from Oregon to Mexico. Might be possible if you dig in to some maps and research for a while to link up roads and forests...
That is gong to be very difficult and even more so as CA gains more control over Federal Lands (Public Land) Already Mendo and Tahoe areas are getting difficult to travel any real distance. My experience you need to be East of Sierra (tahoe area) Still need to explore Modoc County suposed to be great.

Reactions: Terry Pickens

Terry Pickens

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Evansville, WY, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Pickens
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTV
That is gong to be very difficult and even more so as CA gains more control over Federal Lands (Public Land) Already Mendo and Tahoe areas are getting difficult to travel any real distance. My experience you need to be East of Sierra (tahoe area) Still need to explore Modoc County suposed to be great.
I have some older routes from my MC days that are for large adventure bikes, I will try those first. Oh I realize this will be hard and as I map it and then travel I will probably hit a lot of closed areas but that will just be part of the adventure. I will also have alternate routes so that if I hit a closed area I can check out another way. I feel this route might end up on several smaller paved roads to get around areas, but I will stick with the smallest least traveled I can find. Wold enjoy sharing information to put one together.

1derer

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Carlsbad, CA, USA
First Name
user
Last Name
name
Member #

I have some older routes from my MC days that are for large adventure bikes, I will try those first. Oh I realize this will be hard and as I map it and then travel I will probably hit a lot of closed areas but that will just be part of the adventure. I will also have alternate routes so that if I hit a closed area I can check out another way. I feel this route might end up on several smaller paved roads to get around areas, but I will stick with the smallest least traveled I can find. Wold enjoy sharing information to put one together.
I also have a bike done some riding around Willits area (KTM 950 Enduro) I have thought the same can cover a lot more ground and get around obstacles. But personally do not cross any gates POSTED closed (National Forest or other Law agency) Depending on time of year exploring in the Fort Bragg area can get sketchy.

1derer

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Carlsbad, CA, USA
First Name
user
Last Name
name
Member #

I had a friend that went around a Posted Closed gate and when approached by Forest ranger didn't realize they are LEOs so he wasn't exactly humble. After being sat down for a talk and a misdemeanor he was released I think simply due to lack of interest of the ranger to confiscate his bike. Mandatory court appearance he needed to hire a lawyer to attend for him since it was a long way from home he got it plead down to a citation.

Terry Pickens

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Evansville, WY, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Pickens
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTV
OK gang here is the information I gathered from other websites on California. Will also try to have eastern and western Sierras routes. These are gathered mostly from motorcycle sites so I do not know how accessible they will be to 4x4's. But I am going to give these a shot in my Outback when I get her lifted in April but mostly as day or weekend trips. Will start a thread of the adventure and if anyone would like the GPS files just message me. Can ot wait to explore. I will be starting in the south at Campo first and work north as I can. Trying to tie this into the Oregon Backcountry Discovery Trial up north, that is why ending in Ashland.Screen Shot 2017-02-22 at 9.55.44 AM.png Screen Shot 2017-02-22 at 9.55.57 AM.png