Backcountry discovery routes

• HTML tutorial

Jkk

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Georgia
Hey y’all,
Curious if any of you have attempted/completed any of the BDR routes on their website. The descriptions mention that generally speaking a full-size 4x4 can make it depending on road conditions, wondering if anyone out there has actually done them in a 4x4 and/or Full size truck. Thanks!

noah.wass

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Vancouver, WA, USA
First Name
Noah
Last Name
Wass
Member #

I've done the southern section of the WABDR. I think that it would be really cool if this community could rally together to help complete the trails listed on Backcountry Discovery Routes (ridebdr.com). There are 11 states with routes either completed or in development and the mid-Atlantic route that is being worked on. I think it would be cool to map out routes for the other states that are missing.

Anyone know someone connected to BDR? They're based in Seattle. Would be neat to connect members here with people doing the work of mapping the routes.

Laud

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Southeast Arlington TX
First Name
Laud
Last Name
Maroney
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
-KG5QHC-
Service Branch
Air Force and Army
I have built a Traverse for Texas. I have always considered the BDR to be more for the dual sports, as that is where they originated. Yes, it is getting popular to run as much as possible in a vehicle. I am hoping to post my route soon and ask BDR if they are interesed.
Side note, I know a couple of rigs that just finished the TAT and completed the WABDR, ORBDR and the IDBDR earlier this year.

Jkk

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Georgia
I have built a Traverse for Texas. I have always considered the BDR to be more for the dual sports, as that is where they originated. Yes, it is getting popular to run as much as possible in a vehicle. I am hoping to post my route soon and ask BDR if they are interesed.
Side note, I know a couple of rigs that just finished the TAT and completed the WABDR, ORBDR and the IDBDR earlier this year.
Well I’m darn excited! Staying tuned over here

Reactions: Laud

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

A group of us tried to do a run this last summer on the WABDR. I was having trouble with my health so had to back out. Jim Lee, his Wife and his Daughter, in Two different vehicles, ended up going by them selves. I want to try and do the WA. Route this 2019, but earlier in the summer because of the heat and fires here in the West lately. If all goes as planned, hoping to do the ORBDR also. Hope to get a group of Overland Bound Members to give these routes a try with me! I know that Michael is getting a great list of routes all over the world from Members here. I hope we can keep adding to the information on trails and routes that Michael has started! See you out there! Vance.

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

Keep me in mind and let’s try and get a group ready that wants to do the routes. Make it an early summer trip! Vance.

Reactions: Jedi

Chetta58

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Walla walla wa
First Name
Butch
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Service Branch
Navy
I’ve done both the WABDR and the Oregon BDR. The Oregon should be fine but there are parts of the Washington that a full sized pickup would be doing some winching and will get pin striped for sure. It’s a fairly small section by Lake Chelan and is by passable. In Oregon we found a lot of the ‘Official’ maps useless due to roads close etc from wild fires and had a very frustrating time so make sure ur maps/info are current as possible. Oregon trip was Summer 17 so it should be better now I’d think. Both were great trip but Wa was my favorite.

wordofbabb

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Snohomish, WA, USA
Member #

I am interested in doing WABDR and ORBDR. We were going to go this past summer but had stuff come up and were not able to go. We are in the middle of planning our trips for the year and these two are definitely on the list. Keep me in mind when this gets more serious in the planning phase.

Reactions: 4wheelspulling

Chetta58

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Walla walla wa
First Name
Butch
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Service Branch
Navy
I’m all for doing WABDR again. I’m retiring in 28 days so just say when! Doing it as a group would be even more fun.

Chetta58

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Walla walla wa
First Name
Butch
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Service Branch
Navy
Not sure what the Ripshaw is but I’m game for about anything. I didn’t bring my trailer on our other trip but I have an small off-road trailer. Is the Ripshaw trailer friendly. It’s a pretty tough little thing.