• Thread starter expeditionnorth
  • Start date
  • HTML tutorial
E

expeditionnorth

Back Country Navigator Review

I decided to test out this program using the GPS built into my Samsung tab2

Surprisingly it works !

I really like the app & need to select some other map options to see if the detail improves

Reactions: Kelly

Carnivore

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Blue Quill, Edmonton, AB, Canada
First Name
JPD
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Service Branch
Infantry vet. 88-03
I've been using this for about 4 years. Especially in northern Alberta where there minimal cell service. Sadly there's limited map options up here in Canada .

Nice thing with BCN, even if you don't have a mapset downloaded, you can still keep a track going for the trip back out.

ArmyofMike

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

fresno, ca
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YFE
I like this app, but for the life of me, I can't figure it out. The mapping and the offline NEVER seems to work for me. It is more the user interface seems confusing-too many buttons, only icons not names and just feels conviluded.
Perhaps I need to sit down and watch some Youtube videos on it again. Always appears a good app, but just hasn't been useful for me.

YMMV

Reactions: expeditionnorth

Carnivore

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
JPD
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Service Branch
Infantry vet. 88-03
I like this app, but for the life of me, I can't figure it out. The mapping and the offline NEVER seems to work for me. It is more the user interface seems confusing-too many buttons, only icons not names and just feels conviluded.
Perhaps I need to sit down and watch some Youtube videos on it again. Always appears a good app, but just hasn't been useful for me.

YMMV
There's definitely a learning curve. I muddled through it years ago when we used to go geocaching. Although, as time went on and more features were added it seemed we used it less.

Google also changed how android accessed the SD card and map storage was eating up space on the phone instead. I know there are other apps that are similar, but I haven't spent too much time looking into those.

Youtube videos are good and they have really good customer service though. I'd say it's still worth it. You're not wrong though, it can seem convoluted.

Reactions: expeditionnorth

ArmyofMike

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

fresno, ca
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YFE
Spent some time last night messing with the BC App and seem to be getting the hang of it a bit better. I was trying to use a map from another app I downloaded called "Offroad Atlas" that has very detailed maps that will work with BC. The major issue I was having in using both apps together was that with Offroad Atlas, I needed to download every section of map I would be using, or the map wouldn't show correctly in BCN. If I use the downloadable maps from BCN, then the app is much smoother and easier to use.

Which BCN downloadable Map are most of you using? What is the name/topo info you downloaded.

I also got a new Galaxy S7 yesterday and OMG it is much faster than my old S3! Good times.

Thanks all

Carnivore

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
JPD
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Service Branch
Infantry vet. 88-03
I use Canada Toporama maps on BCN myself. I found the NR Canada Topographic didn't look right and the info is super dated. Occasionally I'll use Open Cycle as well if I'm in or around towns.

Only issues I have are there isn't a night mode so the screen is still too bright. If I turn the brightness down to comfortable levels, detail can't be seen well. Only other minor gripe, no turn by turn. But I have other apps for that.

Glad you stuck with it. It's a decent app overall.

ArmyofMike

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

fresno, ca
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YFE
I am finding as I drove back from lunch the Cal Topo map that comes with BCN is VERY outdated. I was pretty much driving in fields 90% of the time as I followed it back to work (I work in Ag, out in the country) and many of the roads I was on, that are several years old were not on the map.....I may need to pay to upgrade.