Awnings and RTT's on the trails..

• HTML tutorial

Scout

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Jamestown,NY
Member #

Not really sure where I wanted to put this question..For those of you that have RTT's and awnings/batwings, etc.. When you're out on the trails,in the woods,deserts,fields, or at events like MAOF, etc and you've found the near perfect spot to set up for the 1st night of a few to follow, how do you "save" your spot in hopes to come back the same area after you've been out exploring for a day..You fold up your tents and store the awnings and pretty much take everything with you..but you REALLY like the area. Is it kinda like move your feet, take your seat?

Jeepjk16

Rank V
Launch Member

Contributor I

Panhandle FL, USA
Member #

That's actually a really good question. I myself am new at this and plan to do the same with my family. I'll wait for others to respond to this and hopefully they'll have some great insight.

Reactions: Scout

Scout

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Jamestown,NY
Member #

This is the reason I got a trailer. I want a base camp. View attachment 90107

The trailer for me is still a few years off. I want one for the Scout when its done and I'm nowhere near that point..

I am real close to ordering an Overland Pros Wraptor 2000.. This is why I ask. If I find that perfect spot while out for a weekend, I may want to come back to it after being out riding, exploring for a day..

Reactions: Jeepjk16

Roam Bearded

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Ogden, Utah 84403, United States
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Cramer
Member #

I've seen spots claimed with a cheap tent, sometimes for a few days (usually before a holiday weekend) without any issues. Yes they could just wad it up and claim the spot as there own but I think the majority of people out there has enough respect.

Scout

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Jamestown,NY
Member #

I've seen spots claimed with a cheap tent, sometimes for a few days (usually before a holiday weekend) without any issues. Yes they could just wad it up and claim the spot as there own but I think the majority of people out there has enough respect.
Those are sweet set ups.. However, you leave the trailers, etc..I like the game camera option. Didn't think of that..

That is an option too. I've considered having our ez up canopy along with us..A smallish tent could work too.

DangerWolf

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Washington
First Name
Mark
Last Name
DeWolf
Member #

Overland Pros Wraptor 2000 . sorry. hahaha.
I would hold off on Overland Pros products, I ordered my Wraptor 2500 early January it arrived fairly quickly. Once I installed it I realized I was missing one pole that goes from the awning to the ground. Notified Overland Pro’s of the missing part and I did not receive a reply, waited a little bit and notified them again and received a short reply ‘what’s your address?’ Which to be fair I hadn’t put my address in my first correspondence so I replied with my address and order number. No response and no pole shows up, I contact them again by email and I left a phone message about three weeks later. Finally get a response from two different people, the reply to my email was I’m out of the office till March 15th. The reply to my phone call was a little more pleasant and told me he would check with his partner and maybe could take one out one of his units he had in stock. Now I don’t know be I think the person I called/texted must have called his partner because next thing I get is an email saying they have to wait for the supplier to ship them a pole. My response was ok I’m in no rush as long as my pole is on it’s way. This conversation was in the end of February, it’ now the first of April and they have not responded to a request for an update today. Three-four months to ship me a part that was missing from my initial order is not good customer service. I would love to tell you the product is great but I haven’t been able to use it(but it does look very well made). I don’t know but I don’t think Overland Pros are not ‘PROS’ at all I think it’s a couple guys running a side business out of their garage or something and can’t support their products. Maybe you’ll have better luck but I wouldn’t give them my money again!

Oh and to reply to your original question, my setup is on a trailer so I leave my tent setup figure a thief will think it’s not worth the hassle to pick it up before they steal it. LOL But on my last trip I meet a guy that just puts out safety cones he buys at (Lowe’s?) or somewhere like that, his reasoning was if someone picked them up he wasn’t out to much money. I thought it sounded like a good idea but I don’t know how well it works in practice.

Corbet

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Durango, CO
First Name
Corbet
Last Name
Hoover
Member #

I leave chairs behind to “hold” a spot and generally someone in the group has a ground tent. But in all honestly it’s pretty rare that I camp in the same spot night after night. The RTT makes moving around so easy. Or if a base camp is the plan I bring the pop-up camper.

Mattyspies3

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Seattle, WA, USA
Member #

That is an option too. I've considered having our ez up canopy along with us..A smallish tent could work too.
I feel like the more remote the more comfortable I should be leaving camp set up for the the day, but usually pack everything but my cheap camping chairs. I would love the trailer set up down the road, but I am no where close right now. Game camera was a great call.

Scout

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Jamestown,NY
Member #

I would hold off on Overland Pros products, I ordered my Wraptor 2500 early January it arrived fairly quickly. Once I installed it I realized I was missing one pole that goes from the awning to the ground. Notified Overland Pro’s of the missing part and I did not receive a reply, waited a little bit and notified them again and received a short reply ‘what’s your address?’ Which to be fair I hadn’t put my address in my first correspondence so I replied with my address and order number. No response and no pole shows up, I contact them again by email and I left a phone message about three weeks later. Finally get a response from two different people, the reply to my email was I’m out of the office till March 15th. The reply to my phone call was a little more pleasant and told me he would check with his partner and maybe could take one out one of his units he had in stock. Now I don’t know be I think the person I called/texted must have called his partner because next thing I get is an email saying they have to wait for the supplier to ship them a pole. My response was ok I’m in no rush as long as my pole is on it’s way. This conversation was in the end of February, it’ now the first of April and they have not responded to a request for an update today. Three-four months to ship me a part that was missing from my initial order is not good customer service. I would love to tell you the product is great but I haven’t been able to use it(but it does look very well made). I don’t know but I don’t think Overland Pros are not ‘PROS’ at all I think it’s a couple guys running a side business out of their garage or something and can’t support their products. Maybe you’ll have better luck but I wouldn’t give them my money again!

Oh and to reply to your original question, my setup is on a trailer so I leave my tent setup figure a thief will think it’s not worth the hassle to pick it up before they steal it. LOL But on my last trip I meet a guy that just puts out safety cones he buys at (Lowe’s?) or somewhere like that, his reasoning was if someone picked them up he wasn’t out to much money. I thought it sounded like a good idea but I don’t know how well it works in practice.

I'm sorry to hear about your dealings with them..Hopefully you get your pole soon and it'll be fine. I ordered a 2500.. It has already shipped.. I'm supposed to receive it by this coming Friday..So says the tracking #.. I guess I'll keep my fingers crossed..I like that cone idea..