Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Mountain House, CA
First Name
Costa
Last Name
Etlender
Member #

We're back from a shakedown trip for our trailer down to SoCal, turned out great but few improvements identified, move convenient water storage, kitchen system, and shade.
For water, we've been using one 7 gallon reliance tank and different smaller containers for drinking water, the 7 gallon was a pain to move around and use, so I got 2 Wavian 5 gallon jerry cans with spouts on the bottom to mount on both sides of the trailer.
For shade, I got a 2.5M awning, the question is, where do I mount it? Vehicle or trailer?
The benefit of mounting it on the trailer - it doesn't bother me in day-to-day life and always ready to go.
The benefit of mounting on the car - when the trailer is unhooked we can position the car where we want the shade to be, and move it if needed because the trailer location and position is usually less flexible.
But if mounting on car, we can either leave it on and live with it, not ideal, or remove it after every trip.
What's your experience?

IMG_7153.jpgIMG_0797.jpgIMG_7059.jpg

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
For that size awning I’d say trailer. I have an ARB 2500 on my teardrop. If I did one on the tow vehicle, I would want a shorter length.

socal geek guy

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Walker
Member #

I'd say the trailer would be a good place for it. if you think about it, the trailer allows you to have most of all the stuff you take with you on a trip ready to go. if you don't plan on leaving the awning on the car all the time, the trailer makes more sense. the less work you have to do in order to go out on a trip, the less stress you'll and more time you'll have to take care of other things.

one thing i will suggest is along with the awning, either another awning or a free standing shade like an ez up. i've had times where the changing position of the sun during the day has left very little shade at certain points, so the more shade you can get the better. also, if it rains, its nice to extend your covered area so you're not stuck in the tent/car/trailer the whole time. i got lucky almost 2 years ago and found someone selling an rei free standing shade that the legs fold up similar to a tent and it was cheap. i like how the bag is way smaller than an ez up and it's nice to use along with my awning. its also nice that its not that hard to move, so i don't have to keep moving my vehicle or trailer around as the sun moves through the day. this is the rei one i have, but it's discontinued.

Costa

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Mountain House, CA
First Name
Costa
Last Name
Etlender
Member #

Thanks guys, I'm going with the trailer, see how it goes and maybe get a small one for the car or maybe the rear of the trailer.

Reactions: Sparksalot

socal geek guy

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Walker
Member #

at least you can try it out on the trailer and adjust or add depending on your needs. best way i've figured out what works for me is by trying something out even after putting a lot of thought into it. best of luck and let us see what ends up working for you. it's always good to see what people come up with as it helps give others ideas too.

Costa

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Mountain House, CA
First Name
Costa
Last Name
Etlender
Member #

Looks like I'll have to weld on an extension to the trailer rack so the awning clears the RTT, so it will likely stay on the trailer and if we need more shade I'll just get another one.