Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Herrin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KFØDEX
Besides being expensive, and adding more weight up top, sometimes "next to the rig" is not the best place (view) to hang out. I'm thinking about alternatives to the typical vehicle awning (a place to get out of the sun, and rain).

What do you think of this?...

Screen Shot 2017-05-28 at 11.22.11 AM.png

The dark panel is removable, or you can purchase a second, to have one on each side.
The foot print is 10'x10'. Peak height is 75". Weight is 7 pounds. Packs down to 6"x26".

In addition to having it freestanding, I may also be able to attach two legs to my back bumper, and have it extend out over my rear hatch, similar to this contraption...

tailgator_sunshade_001.jpg

Last edited:

Joey83

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Sandnes, Norway
First Name
Joachim
Last Name
Sandven
Member #

That's a good option @Reconnoiter

I'd like an awning on my car at some point, but that's not really an option as the roofrails are too short at just over 2 feet..

Last edited:
Reactions: Kelly

1derer

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Carlsbad, CA, USA
First Name
user
Last Name
name
Member #

Tim

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Oxford, UK
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Lunn
Member #

Not tried any of those suggested here but can recommend the Front Runner Modular Awning. We've been using ours for a few years now. It can be both attached to the vehicle or free standing.

When it's not in use it lives in the bag.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Kelly

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Member Rep
Launch Member

Traveler III

Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Herrin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KFØDEX
Took delivery today. I like it! Ordered the second side panel (will be here tomorrow). I like that it can be set up anywhere in camp, and easily moved. My favorite part: The wind can take it away without damaging my rig/roof rack, or killing anyone :-)

IMG_7152.JPG

IMG_7153.JPG

UPDATE: My neighbor just walked by and said "I'll lend you some money, if you'd like to go ahead and get the rest of that tent" :-)

Last edited:
Reactions: Tim and DaveD

tbisaacs

Rank III

Advocate I

Renton, WA
Member #

I've been experimenting with a 12' Kelty Noah's Tarp and 2 kelty poles:

I think if I completely collapse the poles and tie it more securely to the truck I can make it more taught (and less likely to pool water)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk