Launch Member

Traveler II

Carlsbad, CA, USA
First Name
user
Last Name
name
Member #

I have plenty of experience with selectable lockers factory and ARB but now that I am building out another rig just for overlanding that I have already spent more $ then I'd like to admit I need to ask the question is an auto locker an option? I figure rear is a good bet what about upfront will I be spending too much time locking and unlocking hubs in tight trails? I have heard auto lockers can cause problems with frozen pavement?

Truck 1988 HJ70 (Consider long wheelbase) 5 spd, manual locking hubs with RV camper on the back. This is NOT a daly driver. I think for almost everything I want it to do auto is fine my question is for those who might have experience with auto lockers in the slick stuff, snow, mud? With this much in... is it really just a case of F* it do it right and install ARBs? I would install an auto locker myself I will not install an ARB myself so there is additional consideration there. (Air compressor already on-board)

IMG_0698.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: aaa247

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

I only have experience with a selectable and a 100% locked rear end.

I will be re-gearing in probably 6-8 months, and have been looking into this a lot as well. I have read pretty often that most autolockers are not great on icy roads. Since this will be my DD and Id like for the wife to be able to safely drive it, I have largely decided against them. I am still, however, somewhat considering a Torsen-style TruTrac diff, since I realistically think they will do everything I need them to do, especially with the ATRAC on my 4runner backing them up. Still, I understand they are not as predictable in slick conditions as an open diff, so the extra $500 for an ARB might be what I have to do.

All that said, I drove my Samurai with a spool rear end through a Midwest winter (i.e. more ice than snow) and didnt have any particular issues. It was definitely easier to get it sideways, but I never once got into a situation where I felt like I didnt have control. If it is not your daily driver, and you are careful on slick surfaces, Id probably say you wont have any issues with it.

Reactions: 1derer

aaa247

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Long Beach, CA
Member #

I have plenty of experience with selectable lockers factory and ARB but now that I am building out another rig just for overlanding that I have already spent more $ then I'd like to admit I need to ask the question is an auto locker an option? I figure rear is a good bet what about upfront will I be spending too much time locking and unlocking hubs in tight trails? I have heard auto lockers can cause problems with frozen pavement?

Truck 1988 HJ70 (Consider long wheelbase) 5 spd, manual locking hubs with RV camper on the back. This is NOT a daly driver. I think for almost everything I want it to do auto is fine my question is for those who might have experience with auto lockers in the slick stuff, snow, mud? With this much in... is it really just a case of F* it do it right and install ARBs? I would install an auto locker myself I will not install an ARB myself so there is additional consideration there. (Air compressor already on-board)

View attachment 16816
Very cool build I like the camper design!

CopperStar

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

1901 West Germann Road, Chandler, AZ, USA
First Name
Taylor
Last Name
Moore
Member #

I would not recommend auto locking differentials. I currently have a Eaton G80 and every time it engages it scares the living daylights out of me. Off road it does it's job but I worry about the sudden stress it puts on the drive line. As for day to day diving, on dry pavement it is a little twitchy and definitely took time to learn how to finesse the truck around a tight turn. On Icy trails an auto locker will be the last thing you want to have. It locks and unlock when "it wants" and wants to kick the rear end out to one side or the other. I would recommend a Torsen-style differential. It is an all mechanical limited slip, and the same as what the US military uses on thier Humvee's. It acts like a limited slip diff on the pavement but when off road and low traction situations it goes between open , limited slip, to almost or completely locked. It is seamless and fluid in its operation and there are no clutch packs to wear out like a conventional LS diff. An Eaton Tru-Trac is an example of a Torsen Diff.

Have you looked at OX locker instead of ARB? I am going to be running an OX (once i get it installed) and it has a lot of shifting options and no complicated install and comes with a snazzy diff cover in the price.

Here is a great video for the differnt options out there:

offroadohio

Rank IV

Advocate II

I run auto lockers in front and rear of my current and many other rigs. No major issues on Highway or trail. I've never figured out what people mean when they talk about the unpredictableness of an auto Locker. If you have horse engagement or it clicks in and out all the time you have a poorly designed one.

In the snow and slick stuff expecially on the street they do take a little more concentration and you got to be a little easier on the gas and let off the gas while making corners other than that they're barely noticeable if they're working properly

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

1derer

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Carlsbad, CA, USA
First Name
user
Last Name
name
Member #

I run auto lockers in front and rear of my current and many other rigs. No major issues on Highway or trail. I've never figured out what people mean when they talk about the unpredictableness of an auto Locker. If you have horse engagement or it clicks in and out all the time you have a poorly designed one.

In the snow and slick stuff expecially on the street they do take a little more concentration and you got to be a little easier on the gas and let off the gas while making corners other than that they're barely noticeable if they're working properly

That's the feedback that I was hoping for but because it is what I want to hear I will also continue to do some research! I'd love to put in 2 auto lockers and call it a day!

offroadohio

Rank IV

Advocate II

I run a full Detroit locker in the rear of my current rig and I don't even think about it, very smooth and quiet.

Up front is just a lunch box locker. It is a lock rite. I can here it ratchet if I'm on the street with my hubs locked in, but never notice it on the trail.

I've heard spartan engage hard. I like aussie and lokka (lokka is basically a knock off of aussie) as far as lunch box lockers go.

Detroit ez locker I had bad luck with years ago.

Selectable is definitely better but unlike what you read from people who had auto lockers 20 years ago, or have never had them they don't cuase many noticeable issues as I've said.

I've had some situations on the trail where I've said wish I could turn the locker off, but not many. Being a long rig I'll bet you notice them alot less even than I do.

Last edited:

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

Where you will have an issue with an auto locker or a Limited slip differential is at higher speeds in snowy / adverse conditions. It is much easier for the back end to become "light" and want to swap ends. And yes, I've been there and done that with limited slip rears. Always felt "floaty" in the winter and one nearly killed me a few times. If you plan no trips on the interstate in snowstorms and live in a part of the country that has no hardpack snow in the winter, I wouldn't worry as much. For a person like me who deals with Minnesota winters, an open diff or selectable locker is the only choice.