Austin (and surrounding area) Overlanding...

• HTML tutorial

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

Welp... How do I put this politely.... It's not California... We have very, VERY little public land in Texas. You are pretty limited to dirt roads (that are not very rough at all) and the land on either side is private. There are a couple spots that are fun. But if you want to hit some good stuff like what you have out west, its about a 9 hour drive to Big Bend NP or 9 hours up to NM border.

Reactions: Luis Merlo

Raul B

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kyle, Hays County, Texas, United States
First Name
Raul
Last Name
Banuelos
Member #

Welp... How do I put this politely.... It's not California... We have very, VERY little public land in Texas. You are pretty limited to dirt roads (that are not very rough at all) and the land on either side is private. There are a couple spots that are fun. But if you want to hit some good stuff like what you have out west, its about a 9 hour drive to Big Bend NP or 9 hours up to NM border.
Ugh... not what I wanted to hear lol... Now I get that there are really no trails but are there any places offering up camping spots?

My other question is what kind of people are actually looking for a place to camp or wheel locally? I may be totally up to buying some land and creating a spot for people to wheel and camp....

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

We have a couple pay for the day locations for wheeling. Camping is plentiful but only when its too hot to camp. You will need to make your reservations months in advance, in most cases. There are plenty of wheelers around here. And they all find some small spots to hang and drive. But its nothing like the west or northeast as far as public land access goes.