August 2019 MN-WY/MT/ID

• HTML tutorial

toxicity_27

US MidWest Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Member II

Minnesota
Member #

So in August of 2019 my wife and I are planning to take 17 days off and leave from the Twin Cities in Minnesota and head out West. She's never been farther West than Black Hills, SD and I haven't been farther west in 15+ years. We plan to move out there in 10 years or so and I want to introduce her to the area and help her understand why "The mountains are calling and I must go."

We will be leaving on Saturday the 17th and coming back September 2nd (Labor Day). My wife is a little adverse to no facilities, so I would like some more modern campgrounds sprinkled in so she can have the niceties (a shower wouldn't be bad either!). I want to hit Grand Teton NP as well as Yellowstone NP. What I'm looking for are other suggestions on places to visit, must do trails, hikes, sites to see etc. We'll be taking my 2015 Jeep JKURHR and staying in a tent. I know there are some places that don't allow tent camping, I'll need to look into this more. I'm open to any and all suggestions.

Anything else I should know before planning this? I appreciate all the input.

The Ocular Engineer

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First: I'm not going to be able to give you any in the way of "where to go". However, it sounds like you will need all the "creature comfort" issues nailed down to smooth the way to the West. I am by no means an experienced voice, but I am willing to be a sounding board for you.

What rig are you planning to make the trip in?

toxicity_27

Launch Member

Member II

Minnesota
Member #

We'll be taking my 2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, and staying in a tent. I talked to her the other day about portable toilets and such. She wasn't against the idea, but I know she'd like a couple of modern campgrounds along the way for a shower and such.

toxicity_27

Launch Member

Member II

Minnesota
Member #

This is what I have planned so far. Still need to do research and present it to the wife.

Day 1: Home>Badlands National Park (7H 30 min, 487 mi)
Day 2: Badlands National Park>Custer State Park>Deadwood>Devils Tower>Ten Sleep (7H 15 min, 414 mi)
OR
Badlands National Park>Deadwood>Devils Tower>Grand Teton National Park (9H 45 min, 605 mi)
Day 3: Ten Sleep>Grand Tetons National Park (4H 5 min, 242 mi)
OR
Explore Grand Tetons National Park
Day 4: Explore Grand Tetons National Park
Day 5: Explore Grand Tetons National Park
Day 6: Grand Tetons National Park>Yellowstone National Park (1H, 30 mi)
Day 7: Explore Yellowstone National Park
Day 8: Explore Yellowstone National Park
Day 9: Explore Yellowstone National Park
Day 10: Yellowstone National Park>Red Lodge via Beartooth Hwy (4H, 149 mi)

Any thoughts to change or add? Not sure which route to go yet, and none of these times include stops, sightseeing, etc.