Oakland CA
First Name
Stephen
Last Name
Williams
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6QBJ
I see Front Runner offers short and tall brackets to mount roof top tents. The tall allows clearance for adding other gear like awnings, shovels, etc on the side per FR website.

I have a line on a used regular Roofnest Falcon, and I am trying to figure the best way to mount it. I have asked both Roofnest and Front Runner for their thoughts, but have not heard back as yet.

I thought I would ask the community if anyone has put these two bits of gear together, and if they had any advice they could share. I think I need to go take some precise measurements of mounting points and see how they line up. It does not look like an easy thing to put together.

But I DO want to add an awning of some sort, just not a 270. I like the idea of an annex as a place to escape mosquito's etc while cooking and generally soaking it all up.

I also think I want to mount solar on top of the tent.

This is my first exposure to overlanding and it seems this thing is becoming a multistory project - truck, with lift, with rack, with tent, with solar. Pretty soon I won't need an awning, for the shade at least. OK, it's all going on a 4Runner, not a Sprinter, but still.

GordyP

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Half Moon Bay, CA, USA
First Name
Gordon
Last Name
Pomp
I got the tall mounting brackets but not for a tent. I found that they serve multiple uses. I mount my road shower with them. They are 1+” above the top of the side rails of the FR rack and 2+” total height. The only thing I would say about this because I wanted that tent is that it gets pretty tall when you start stacking it up.

Prepared Overland

Rank III

Member III

Kingman, AZ, USA
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Wegscheid
Member #

So came here with the exact same question , just installed my slimline 2 and the roof nest falcon is on its way .. what option did you land on Sir?

SWLands

Rank IV
Investor

Pathfinder III

Oakland CA
First Name
Stephen
Last Name
Williams
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6QBJ
I use the short brackets. If I did it again I would use 6 points of attachment - with 4 it bounces around a bit. It is a squeeze getting hands and tools in there, but I got it done. And it works.

Prepared Overland

Rank III

Member III

Kingman, AZ, USA
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Wegscheid
Member #

Very good , will definitely go with 6. You were happy with the spacing for awning? I’ve a 270 on the way and still need to figure out a maxtrax mounting option.

SWLands

Rank IV
Investor

Pathfinder III

Oakland CA
First Name
Stephen
Last Name
Williams
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6QBJ
I don't have an awning installed - I want something off the back. I had Shaffers Offroad look at installing an ARB awning and they were going to fabricate some mounts to make it work. I am still learning how I like to use it.

Prepared Overland

Rank III

Member III

Kingman, AZ, USA
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Wegscheid
Member #

Nice ! I bought the roofnest brackets that kick the awning out past the struts .. Still waiting on the awning so we shall see. Will shoot you a photo if it all comes together how I want. I Appreciated the feedback Sir.