Asleep In a Jeep.... mods and diy projects

• HTML tutorial

vagabondexpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

various
Member #

For my @vagabondexpedition followers, you'll know that I parted ways with my roof top tent late last year. I've gone back to sleeping in the Jeep, so I'll document a few of the challenges and the modifications I'm doing to "make it work".

Follow along, put these tips to use in your own Jeep (or other vehicle) overland build, and share some of your ideas too!

Asleep in a Jeep...
Pictured is somewhere in the Alberta Badlands

ArmyofMike

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

fresno, ca
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YFE
Easy video and window net. Thanks for advice.

Side question, what do you do with you electronics and toiletries in the 15 degree weather? I have had my cell phone screen freeze in my Jeep sleeping in less than 10 degree weather and my contact lens and solution completely froze solid as well. Where do you store them so they don't freeze? Thanks too. AoM

vagabondexpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

various
Member #

Easy video and window net. Thanks for advice.

Side question, what do you do with you electronics and toiletries in the 15 degree weather? I have had my cell phone screen freeze in my Jeep sleeping in less than 10 degree weather and my contact lens and solution completely froze solid as well. Where do you store them so they don't freeze? Thanks too. AoM
I should have said in my video "celcius" for temperature.. 15C is a nice 59F - so definitely no freezing. Now.. I have been out in extreme cold... and yes, there are challenges there with stuff freezing up.

Reactions: ArmyofMike

ArmyofMike

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

fresno, ca
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YFE
@vegabondexpedition ha! Big difference in temp! I sleep in shorts at 59° F!! Haha

I have thought of using a small ice chest and throwing in some hand warmers with my electronics and toiletries...but in California, I wont see those temps for 6mo+ and try it then.

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@ArmyofMike
Sleeping in the bed of my Truck into Nov/Dec and staying out all night in Jan/Feb/Mar I'm no stranger to things freezing up. I taken to contact solution and contacts in case stored in ziploc bag, tucked into interior pocket of down jacket, used as pillow. No problems yet.

Electronics never been a problem. I've had my camera out in temps around 0 Degrees F. Batteries die long before screen freezes. When finished shooting for the night I wipe off the frost, wrap it in another chamois, store in big ziploc bag with large Sicila gel packet to absorb moisture. If going to sleep I'll toss my hand warmers into the another section of the camera bag to keep the temp from bottoming out.

Boort

Reactions: ArmyofMike

vagabondexpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

various
Member #

Here's a cool product I picked up off amazon a few days ago.

It takes the simplicity of window screens a step beyond and adds some rain shelter. Cost isn't a whole lot more than the window screens themselves. No, it's not a DIY project - but with the low cost of this window screen, it may be a good alternative option than a DIY job.

ashleyroscoe

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Whitewater, Wisconsin
Member #

Forgot I had this photo from earlier this year... shows you my cozy little sleeping area. And yes, I get to watch "tv" too. I have a tablet mount on the Synergy basket.

yes, this is my sleeping area
by e j, on Flickr
This is awesome! I love the organization on the roof- really great. Definitely going to try to incorporate your set up into a 2dr jeep, luckily I am short.

Do you have a particular product used for the organization. Or just DIY'ed it?

vagabondexpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

various
Member #

This is awesome! I love the organization on the roof- really great. Definitely going to try to incorporate your set up into a 2dr jeep, luckily I am short.

Do you have a particular product used for the organization. Or just DIY'ed it?
The 'shelf' is the Synergy Baja Rack. An expensive piece of kit, but I found a really great deal back when I got it otherwise would look at either a DIY or lower cost solution today. The roof cargo net is from Dirty Dog - already sized for the rear passenger area so I figured that was a no brainer to use. Now, you may want to look at Blue Ridge Overland - they have a rear passenger mesh that might work a bit better - it's not the large netting, but a finer mesh with a 550 pull cord to keep it tight depending on what you're carrying in the 'attic' space. Otherwise, I use a few 'molle' bags to attach to the synergy rack and rubbermaid totes for the gear.

Reactions: ashleyroscoe

ashleyroscoe

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Whitewater, Wisconsin
Member #

The 'shelf' is the Synergy Baja Rack. An expensive piece of kit, but I found a really great deal back when I got it otherwise would look at either a DIY or lower cost solution today. The roof cargo net is from Dirty Dog - already sized for the rear passenger area so I figured that was a no brainer to use. Now, you may want to look at Blue Ridge Overland - they have a rear passenger mesh that might work a bit better - it's not the large netting, but a finer mesh with a 550 pull cord to keep it tight depending on what you're carrying in the 'attic' space. Otherwise, I use a few 'molle' bags to attach to the synergy rack and rubbermaid totes for the gear.

Thanks-- I will for sure look into some options! Thanks for your swift response-- I appreciate the help.