North Georgia waterfalls and hiking (UPDATE)

• HTML tutorial

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
The wife and I camped at Cloudland state park this time last year and really enjoyed it. We are leaving in a couple days to go explore more of north Georgia and the wife is really wanting to see more waterfalls and do some hiking. I ended up getting a pretty good map of north Georgia which shows trails and waterfalls, etc but there seems to be quite a bit and I am asking to see if anyone on here has any input as to some good falls to see or some really good hikes. It looks like we will be around the Blue Ridge area and maybe drop down to Jasper and work more east. Yeah, "winging it" is part of the fun, but it all seems pretty spread out, so hopefully I can get some idea of one of the better areas to concentrate on. Thanks for any input.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
Just got back a few days ago from north Georgia and it was pretty impressive. Our first stop was Cloudland State Park and it had a really nice hike with two waterfalls which were real pretty. While there, I met OB member @Ichibahn who recommended the Helen area, (and showed me a VERY cool lighting set up he had on his rig) so we went there next and set up camp at Vogel State park. Excellent park and some amazing hiking trails with waterfalls all around the area. Helen is a small town that looks like a German village and had some neat shops and authentic German cuisine. We had a great time visiting there. We ended up going northeast to Tallulah Falls gorge where Deliverance was filmed and did a hike down the gorge that had a suspension bridge crossing the water. Really cool. We hit a LOT of hiking trails and even saw a store that is on the Appalachian Trail that had some amazing gear all designed for hiking the AT. We finished off by going to Amicolola State park, as recommended by @Specter, and seeing the 700' waterfall there. North Georgia is a very impressive area with amazing hikes, nice facilities at their state parks and some very friendly folk. 10 days there we just scratched the surface, so another trip there is in the works...

IMG_1493.JPGIMG_1561.JPGIMG_1538.JPGIMG_1520.JPGIMG_1407.JPGIMG_1307.PNG

Last edited:

KarmaSeoul

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Baton Rouge, LA, USA
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
D
Member #

We loved Cloundland state park when we when visited a few years back. Did the two waterfall trails and then I think the eastern rim trail. The western rim was closed at the time. I was just looking into a trip back into the area, so thanks, I'll start looking into these other areas.

Reactions: grubworm

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
We loved Cloundland state park when we when visited a few years back. Did the two waterfall trails and then I think the eastern rim trail. The western rim was closed at the time. I was just looking into a trip back into the area, so thanks, I'll start looking into these other areas.
Cool. we got this map off amazon and it is more helpful than our road atlas. if you have any questions, PM me and i can give you more details about the areas we were in

Last edited:
Reactions: KarmaSeoul

BchBum11511

Rank V
Launch Member

Navigator I

Huntsville, AL, USA
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Thompson
Member #

Just got back a few days ago from north Georgia and it was pretty impressive. Our first stop was Cloudland State Park and it had a really nice hike with two waterfalls which were real pretty. While there, I met OB member @Ichibahn who recommended the Helen area, (and showed me a VERY cool lighting set up he had on his rig) so we went there next and set up camp at Vogel State park. Excellent park and some amazing hiking trails with waterfalls all around the area. Helen is a small town that looks like a German village and had some neat shops and authentic German cuisine. We had a great time visiting there. We ended up going northeast to Tallulah Falls gorge where Deliverance was filmed and did a hike down the gorge that had a suspension bridge crossing the water. Really cool. We hit a LOT of hiking trails and even saw a store that is on the Appalachian Trail that had some amazing gear all designed for hiking the AT. We finished off by going to Amicolola State park, as recommended by @Specter, and seeing the 700' waterfall there. North Georgia is a very impressive area with amazing hikes, nice facilities at their state parks and some very friendly folk. 10 days there we just scratched the surface, so another trip there is in the works...

View attachment 139503View attachment 139502View attachment 139501View attachment 139500View attachment 139499View attachment 139498
Gorgeous pics! This place is on my wife's list to visit. Looks worth it!

Reactions: grubworm

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
@grubworm if you make it out to the pnw you better set aside some time for hiking to waterfalls , we have quite a few to choose from .
nice! the wife loves waterfalls and some of our trips are based on just seeing waterfalls. she can spend a day doing that while i check out your shop :grinning:

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

Look up
silver falls state park