Ask About Gaia GPS!

• HTML tutorial

stevenboise

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Boise, ID, USA
Member #

I'm looking for Western NC and East TN routes if anyone has them.
I don't have any from those states. I have found plenty of tracks/routes on the internet from third party sources (clubs and forums specific to the region(s) I research) and they shared their tracks/routes. By simply clicking on their links and importing them into Gaia, it was breeze to find routes and points of interest.

You can check on the Gaia forum as well and ask over there.

In Gaia, you can search for routes/tracks that others have made public for sharing as well.

Lots of options if no one in this thread has what you are looking for.

stevenboise

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Boise, ID, USA
Member #

Any idea how to add more icons for waypoints? The choice they give is real poor. When we are out and come across a good campsite I place a waypoint. But I want the icon to match the site. Tent for tent only (there is a tent), small teardrop for sites we can take the teardrop, someway to mark campsites that have room for a few campers.

So many useless icons, why is there a beaker? Is that to mark meth labs? Subway icon, Suitcase? How about a mine, ghost town.
In the Gaia forum, there are requests for new features and additional icons is one of the most popular requests. I would highly recommend going there, searching for that specific thread and "voting it up" and offering your recommendations. Gaia probably isn't in OB looking for feedback, but they read everything in their forum.

Todd & Meg

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

In the Gaia forum, there are requests for new features and additional icons is one of the most popular requests. I would highly recommend going there, searching for that specific thread and "voting it up" and offering your recommendations. Gaia probably isn't in OB looking for feedback, but they read everything in their forum.
@1Louder who started this thread works/had worked for Gaia. I was hoping he had some insight.

RoboCop

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Katy, TX
Member #

It seems to me Gaia doesn't fix anything. They just add more stuff.

Edit to question form: Does Gaia fix anything or do they just add stuff?

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
Unless I am at the wrong forums, those are the worst forums I ever seen, what a way to run stuff.....

I for one will not renew, I aint seen anything that I cant have/do on Avenza........They will need to big changes to keep my money.

Jim

Sidetrekked Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Possum Kingdom Lake, Texas
First Name
David and Dayna
Last Name
Coston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5NXU GMRS:WROE726
Service Branch
USMC
I just purchased the premium version a few days ago. I wasn't real happy when I tried to use it this past weekend but hopefully it's just because I'm a new user and haven't figured it out yet. I can see some usefulness for sure though.

stevenboise

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Boise, ID, USA
Member #

It seems to me Gaia doesn't fix anything. They just add more stuff.

Edit to question form: Does Gaia fix anything or do they just add stuff?
Yes, they do. I signed up in January and they have fixed two major issues in that time period. Both having to do with waypoints and uploading and viewing photos. There were very long threads on their forum about those issues when I signed up and both have been fixed.

Reactions: 1Louder and RoboCop

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
@1Louder who started this thread works/had worked for Gaia. I was hoping he had some insight.
Sorry I never responded to this. I think I mentioned in another post that my free time was being taken up again. Currently in a bit of a down period so I am posting like mad on OB and then poof I will probably disappear again for a bit. I did contract work for Gaia for about a year. I learned a lot about the behind the scenes stuff. I had to quit due to time constraints but still keep in touch with them. With that said any requests for features should go direct to Gaia. Any bugs to report or have issues USE the Gaia support site. They have 3-4 people dedicated to support now. More than most apps. No app is perfect. I will say it does take some effort on the users part to learn the app. Whatever app that is. Some folks just won't take the time to read help files. It is what it is.

I think the ability to import geo-referenced PDF maps is going to come to Gaia GPS in 2019 but DO NOT QUOTE ME on this. I know they have improved the search capability of the app and are constantly working on improving it. If you have issues take the time to make them known directly to Gaia GPS. While some of the team tries to read forums like this there are too many to keep up with.

Happy trails... Chris

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
is there a way to take say 10 waypoints that was set with inreach and send them to Gaia after a run?

Jim

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
is there a way to take say 10 waypoints that was set with inreach and send them to Gaia after a run?
I don't use inreach and have only played with Gaia a tiny bit. I use my laptop as a repository for GPS data. I start with trip planning and create tracks/waypoints to use when navigating dusty roads (its a lot easier with a big screen, internet access for different maps, etc.). These are sent to my GPS units with a Windows program and data cable. After I return home I use the same software/cables to pull any new data from the GPS units (tracks/waypoints) and they are added to my repository. If I remember correctly Gaia (at least on my iPad) requires me to send/receive GPS data via email. I have not taken the time to figure out anything better. Looks like the inreach uses a simple USB cable to transfer data. My guess is that you cannot send the data between the two directly but would need an intermediary such as a laptop to facilitate - having them on the laptop is not a bad idea as it provides a backup and allows me to keep everything together - this helps me plan should we decide to visit an area again. On Windows I use ExpertGPS (paid) to plan routes, create waypoints and upload/download data to and from the GPS units. Garmin has software called BaseCamp (or did) that might work for you to do this but in the past I found ExpertGPS to be more full featured (check to see if it supports inreach). When dealing with GPS data saving/retrieving as a GPX file is generally a good way to go - seems pretty universally accepted by different GPS/software packages.

I have my fingers crossed that I will be able to swing a new iPad for my birthday; old one is is barely worth using. Should I be able to swing this I plan on getting to know Gaia a lot better.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR

Jim
If you log into your InReach account via a web browser you can then export them in GPX Format. Then import the GPX file into Gaia.

I haven't seen a way to only select a unique set up waypoints like the above help file references but it wouldn't be difficult to delete unnecessary data. I would import via GaiaGPS.com, review/edit as required, and then sync your device.

If you own a Mac I like the ADZE map app to review files as well. You can view edit and then upload to Gaia or elsewhere.

Last edited:

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
tht works...

What are the blue dots along a trail and a big blue arrow with my name? it will not delete....

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
tht works...

What are the blue dots along a trail and a big blue arrow with my name? it will not delete....
You would have to post up a screenshot. Blue dots are likely mile markers. You can change those in the app settings. Arrow with your name no idea.

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
Here it is, looks like you can send a msg to me or something. They all have a delete but they never do. If you click on them you get the box in second attachment.

Jim

Attachments

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Here it is, looks like you can send a msg to me or something. They all have a delete but they never do. If you click on them you get the box in second attachment.

Jim
Ok, this is the Garmin interface and not Gaia GPS. That I really can't help you with. I don't use it often. You are correct though about messaging. People who know your InReach ID can send you messages via the website. You can also password protect your InReach page. I really can't help you further on that though.