Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Chino Valley, AZ, USA
First Name
Phil
Last Name
Kostka
Member #

I purchased this truck new in April 2018. It's my daily driver and the family adventure-mobile. I'm in Texas with family in California so trips back and forth are already being planned. Also, I plan on camping and off-roading mainly in Texas. I've got a wife, a 9-month-old boy, and a little dog so interior room was needed.

2018 GMC Canyon
Crew-Cab Short Bed
2.8L Turbo Diesel
All-Terrain Package

Stock:

Now:

Modifications:
Future Plans:
  • Supermodulation #3 Oil Pan and #4 Transfer Case Skid Plates
  • Larger tires
  • real sliders
  • Peak Suspension Explorer Kit

Last edited:

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Nice to see other d max owners actually wanting to take their truck offroad, very few of us out there most are strickly pavement pounders in the city. I dont see too many diesel colorado/canyons around mostly gassers with older folks in 50s driving.

Reactions: kostkafex

kostkafex

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Chino Valley, AZ, USA
First Name
Phil
Last Name
Kostka
Member #

Ordered 589Fab shock skids and a Fumoto oil drain valve over the Black Friday/Cyber Monday sales. Will be painting & installing the skids, as well as the drain valve soon. Gotta pull off an oil change in early December as we're taking the truck to California (~2800 miles round trip) over Christmas break to visit all the family. Hoping I can get away for some day trip offroading as my in-laws are near Holy Jim/Ortega Hwy in Orange County...

Reactions: dj_mccomas

kostkafex

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Chino Valley, AZ, USA
First Name
Phil
Last Name
Kostka
Member #

589Fab rear shock skids installed. Pretty easy as far as installation goes. I jacked up each side of the truck (just the body, not the rear axle) to allow for more room to maneuver. Just make sure you go in with sharp drill bits! The metal is thick.

Completed the oil change and Fumoto F107SX oil drain valve. They make it pretty easy on these trucks. I have the superskidz plate so that added a step or two.

J-P

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler II

Montreal, QC, Canada
First Name
Jp
Last Name
Jerome
Member #

589Fab rear shock skids installed. Pretty easy as far as installation goes. I jacked up each side of the truck (just the body, not the rear axle) to allow for more room to maneuver. Just make sure you go in with sharp drill bits! The metal is thick.

Completed the oil change and Fumoto F107SX oil drain valve. They make it pretty easy on these trucks. I have the superskidz plate so that added a step or two.

Hi what are you expecting from our drain, just curious. I have the same rig
Thanks

J-P

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler II

Montreal, QC, Canada
First Name
Jp
Last Name
Jerome
Member #

not sure what you are asking, the oil drain is great, makes for a no-mess oil change under the truck.
sorry if I wasnt clear, its my first diesel truck so very unfamiliar with what is done on those engines, i was surprised to see the oil filter is facing up in the front! No actually i thought what you installed was like a catch can as on many jeeps and it had a specific mechanical purpose. I didnt think about the mess! thanks!

kostkafex

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Chino Valley, AZ, USA
First Name
Phil
Last Name
Kostka
Member #

sorry if I wasnt clear, its my first diesel truck so very unfamiliar with what is done on those engines, i was surprised to see the oil filter is facing up in the front! No actually i thought what you installed was like a catch can as on many jeeps and it had a specific mechanical purpose. I didnt think about the mess! thanks!
oh ok, no problem. yes, oil filter up top like a lot of european vehicles. what i installed was a drain valve in place of the drain bolt on the bottom of the oil pan. it allows me to connect a small hose to a bucket/pan/etc to make the oil change pretty clean. diesel oil is a lot dirtier than gas oil!

Reactions: J-P

J-P

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler II

Montreal, QC, Canada
First Name
Jp
Last Name
Jerome
Member #

A valve!? wow would not have thought of that, no worries about leaks?
The whole tube makes a lot of sense! great idea!

kostkafex

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Chino Valley, AZ, USA
First Name
Phil
Last Name
Kostka
Member #

A valve!? wow would not have thought of that, no worries about leaks?
The whole tube makes a lot of sense! great idea!
Yeah, its a really cool piece, Japanese made. The valve has a spring and positive detent so it takes some effort to open, and has a locking clip for extra security. The one for the Canyon is the F107SX. More details on Fumoto's website.

Reactions: J-P

J-P

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler II

Montreal, QC, Canada
First Name
Jp
Last Name
Jerome
Member #

I purchased this truck new in April 2018. It's my daily driver and the family adventure-mobile. I'm in Texas with family in California so trips back and forth are already being planned. Also, I plan on camping and off-roading mainly in Texas. I've got a wife, a 9-month-old boy, and a little dog so interior room was needed.

2018 GMC Canyon
Crew-Cab Short Bed
2.8L Turbo Diesel
All-Terrain Package

Stock:

Now:

Modifications:
Future Plans:
  • Supermodulation #3 Oil Pan and #4 Transfer Case Skid Plates
  • 589Fab rear shock skids
  • Bedslide
  • Icon Suspension
  • Baja Designs Squadron Lights mounted in OEM Fog Light location
Last November i got a 2016 SLE All Terrain with tow package, its a capable truck for the size, i live in Quebec so winters are tough, it starts no problem by -30F, really impressed by it. we will see this summer how it handles dirt and tight trails
48275513_10213372221320902_3023062157773242368_o.jpg
I put on 275/70 R17 KO2's and leveling kit, next up a winch

kostkafex

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Chino Valley, AZ, USA
First Name
Phil
Last Name
Kostka
Member #

Did some exploring at Northwest OHV Park at Bridgeport, TX this Sunday. The place was empty and very dry. Got a little mud and a little flex.

Video of the mud pits

Did a lot of dragging and scraping, the superskidz and 589 shock skids do their jobs very well. The exhaust is now square-tip and the bumper steps are a little banged up. Needs actual sliders and more height, but what else is new?

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Did some exploring at Northwest OHV Park at Bridgeport, TX this Sunday. The place was empty and very dry. Got a little mud and a little flex.

Video of the mud pits

Did a lot of dragging and scraping, the superskidz and 589 shock skids do their jobs very well. The exhaust is now square-tip and the bumper steps are a little banged up. Needs actual sliders and more height, but what else is new?
I did the same at that park the exhaust is aluminum and was easy to bend i ripped my license plate holder and now the plate is held onto the center bumper via rivnuts. If you didnt notice that place is built for side by sides and 4 wheelers lots of hills even jeeps have too long a wheelbase to get over without high centering.

kostkafex

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Chino Valley, AZ, USA
First Name
Phil
Last Name
Kostka
Member #

I did the same at that park the exhaust is aluminum and was easy to bend i ripped my license plate holder and now the plate is held onto the center bumper via rivnuts. If you didnt notice that place is built for side by sides and 4 wheelers lots of hills even jeeps have too long a wheelbase to get over without high centering.
Ehhh I felt like every trail we tried had enough clearance for the rigs. Some belly scraping but the canyon isn't exactly a short jeep wheelbase vehicle. Full video of the day:

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Ehhh I felt like every trail we tried had enough clearance for the rigs. Some belly scraping but the canyon isn't exactly a short jeep wheelbase vehicle. Full video of the day:
From your video and track at the top you only did the access roads and a few level 1 trails there is whole other half of the park missing.
downloadfile-38.jpg

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Go to the very south of the park boundry thats where some really nasty mud is. Take the trail right behind the pavillion in the middle and you will high center and possibly slide off a cliff getting off and back out i almost did unti a jeep helped pull me from the rear which is why my exhaust got flattened. Just on the other side of this pavillion this was after we got out and were assesing any damage.
20190420_150141.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: RoarinRow

kostkafex

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Chino Valley, AZ, USA
First Name
Phil
Last Name
Kostka
Member #

ok, so the crazy trails are crazy. shocking. we did easy and moderate trails based on the vehicles that showed up. my canyon is at stock height, for example. i really dont know what you're trying to prove on my thread.

kostkafex

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Chino Valley, AZ, USA
First Name
Phil
Last Name
Kostka
Member #

Since my last update (over a year ago, dang), haven't done anything to the truck, but the family and I relocated to Chino Valley, AZ. We're up at elevation near Prescott with a TON more to explore, which we've been doing a lot of since getting here a few months ago:

New favorite road sign
PXL_20201213_183048586.jpg

Did an all-dirt trip from Chino Valley to Jerome to visit their excellent Ghost Town, which is a must-visit if you're into old machinery and trucks.
PXL_20201024_182246067.jpgPXL_20201024_202546144.jpgPXL_20201024_194805052.jpg

Explored a little of the road to Crown King and found some entertaining things on the trail, and a small amount of snow!
PXL_20201205_172524782.jpgPXL_20201205_175337361.jpg

Noticed that FourWheeler's Overland Adventure was literally at the Safeway down the street, cribbed from their notes, and visited the Perkinsville Verde River bridge for the money shot on the bridge. This dirt road starts ~5 minutes from my house so that has been very entertaining.
PXL_20201213_182107012.MP.jpgPXL_20201213_175445409.jpgPXL_20201213_180509093.jpg

Since we're now much closer to family in CA, that gives us more time to explore out there. Over the holiday break, we got up to Palomar Mountain after it snowed, using the Nate Harrison Grade dirt road to the top. Much better than fighting tourists on the paved roads! There was about 6-8" of snow in places, the Falken Wildpeak AT3W's and diesel torque made easy work. Just us and the Jeeps!
PXL_20201229_211640537.jpg

Most recently, we've taken to exploring the road to Camp Wood, after reading about it from Arizona Highways. We found some great disbursed campsites and free-range cattle. Looking forward to heading up Forest Road 95 to get into some rumored water crossings. The forecast says snow is possible in the next few weeks so I'm excited about that.
PXL_20210118_233644302.jpg