Arkansas High Water Mark Trail - July 27 to 30. Interested?

• HTML tutorial

TXFoster

Rank 0

Traveler I

dfw
Started off wanting to do the K-Trail but after talking w/ the OK Wildlife officer that's off until I can find a hunting lease to rent for a weekend.
So next item on the list is the High Water Mark Trail in Arkansas. I'm still researching the routes (there appears to be several different trails through the area).
My off-road & overlanding experience amounts to: I've hopped a curb once and I've driven on a dirt road once.
I'd really like to do this trail with a group that has been there before and knows what they'e doing.

Any interest in helping me make this happen?
Or is there a group going some time bewteen now and the first week of August?

1st week of august is important b/c my wife is a teacher and that is when school starts. So doing a long weekend bewteen now and then is easy. After school starts it gets difficult.

BTW - I'm located in DFW.

Reactions: Beer Hounds

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

What did the wildlife officer say about the k trail? There arent any gates or purple paint on trees around east or west entrance. Ive never had any problem in oklahoma off-roading, its where my wife and i go since texas is no longer off-road friendly.

Laud

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Southeast Arlington TX
First Name
Laud
Last Name
Maroney
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
-KG5QHC-
Service Branch
Air Force and Army
What did the wildlife officer say about the k trail? There arent any gates or purple paint on trees around east or west entrance. Ive never had any problem in oklahoma off-roading, its where my wife and i go since texas is no longer off-road friendly.
Everything NOT in the boundaries of the National Forest is private. Purple paint is more of a TX thing. OK does not require marking of Private property. The west section of the K Trail has been off limits for a couple of years now. This is talked about in the Downloadable File section of K Trail.

Reactions: Prerunner1982

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Dang that means weve been tresspassing without even knowing it, no one has ever said anything about tresspassing whenever we drive by someone on the trails they just wave and smile, guess ill have to find some other place to play. That really sucks since the western half of the k trail is less than 2 hrs from my house. Oh well not the first time ive been kicked in the nuts.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Come to think of it im just gonna keep running the trails until a law enforcement officer tells me i can't, since there is no where but big bend and the prarie dog fork of red river to offroad for free in texas and the pay to play off-road parks we have are terrible filled with people getting in the way. Also Most of our parks are geared toward mudding or motocross. Ive gotten my fill of mud this year harvesting the cotton in my fields in the south sulphur river flood plain.

Laud

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Southeast Arlington TX
First Name
Laud
Last Name
Maroney
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
-KG5QHC-
Service Branch
Air Force and Army
I understand the frustration. I have shared over a thousand miles of backroads in TX.
With OK, it only takes one owner/leasee, to call and it can cost $1500. Dont be alarmed if so.

Last edited:

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

From the tulsa law journal

Ranchers and farmers face constant problems resulting from
unauthorized hunting and fishing upon their lands. This of course
is unlawful in the absence of consent from the owner or the occu-
pier of the land.' However, the law provides that no consent is
required where the land is unoccupied unless a conspicuous notice
is posted upon the land by the owner or his agent. Prosecutions
for alleged violation of the statute can be commenced only by
written complaint filed in the proper court by the owner or occu-
pier of the land or upon written complaint to an authorized game
ranger. Upon conviction for violation of the statute the offender
will be guilty of a misdemeanor and punished accordingly.

Under Oklahoma law every person who commits a trespass
through acts such as cutting down timber upon the lands of
another; driving or riding through a cultivated hedge row, tree
row, grove of ornamental trees or orchard of fruit trees growing
upon the land of another; carrying away wood or timber which
has been previously cut down; or maliciously severing anything
produced from or attached to the land is guilty of a misde-
meanor. This is a trespass statute under which a conviction may
be obtained if it is shown that the defendant has committed a
willful trespass by engaging in one of the acts enumerated by the
statute. Malice toward the owner of the property affected is not
'an element of the offense defined by the statute.6'
A statutory section62 provides that it shall be a felony for any
person to wantonly or wilfully remove, for commercial purposes,
without the consent of the owner, any stone from the land; to
injure cultivated timber growing on the land; or to wantonly or
wilfully let down any fence which encloses such cultivated timber
upon the land of another. Conviction for violation of the pro-
visions of this statute carries with it not only criminal penaltie?

I cant find anything about land owners being able to shut down acces to the navigable trails or forrest roads. I know there have been a few squatters try and build cabins on k trail and theyve gotten agressive with offroaders but the state owns that land.

jdeane7

Rank 0

Traveler I

I understand the frustration. I have shared over a thousand miles of backroads in TX.
With OK, it only takes one owner/leasee, to call and it can cost $1500. Dont be alarmed if so.
Hi Laud,

A friend and I, both based in Houston, are looking to get out on our first trip over Easter weekend. We've been eyeing the High Water Mark Trail (which is how we found you on this thread) and we'd be interested to know if you have some other trails you'd recommend in Texas that we could do instead. I drive a lifted Land Rover Discovery with body armor, and my friend has a '17 Raptor. We're a little concerned about the size of his truck on the HWM trail, which is why we're now thinking about looking for other options.

Do you have something that would be good for us, that you would recommend?

Thanks!

Laud

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Southeast Arlington TX
First Name
Laud
Last Name
Maroney
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
-KG5QHC-
Service Branch
Air Force and Army
Hi Laud,

A friend and I, both based in Houston, are looking to get out on our first trip over Easter weekend. We've been eyeing the High Water Mark Trail (which is how we found you on this thread) and we'd be interested to know if you have some other trails you'd recommend in Texas that we could do instead. I drive a lifted Land Rover Discovery with body armor, and my friend has a '17 Raptor. We're a little concerned about the size of his truck on the HWM trail, which is why we're now thinking about looking for other options.

Do you have something that would be good for us, that you would recommend?

Thanks!
I shared a few miles over in the downloadable section..enjoy!