Arkansas "helped" Build not Bought

• HTML tutorial

theBROFESSOR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Conway, Arkansas
Member #

One of the best things about Overland Bound is the people that you meet on here. In the past year+ some of the best friends I have in this life I have met on here and subsequently have traveled all over with. In that period of time we have tried many methods of what we do and have swapped stuff around, sold what we had and bought new things to try. Every time we go out the list changes.

All of us are older and really wanted to shy away from the RTT scene as getting up in the night multiple times and climbing up and down a ladder is not safe for us. So we went the way of the Oztent. Since that time, one of the guys @Jube swapped out his axle on his old army trailer and gave me his original old axle as a start to my trailer build.

Now I am a School Resource Officer at a large school and with that comes a few perks. One being the best work schedule (we are off when school is out) and the others include resources such as auto mechanics class, welding class, etc. So I approached the welding class and asked them to help me build, not my dream trailer, but the trailer that I believe would perfectly suit our style and way of traveling with the gear we have. It is not the most beautiful thing to some, but to me for now it is becoming perfection.

Reactions: BlueLineOverland

theBROFESSOR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Conway, Arkansas
Member #

IMG_3491.JPG
trying to go as light as possible with building everything out of steel, we went with a mesh floor in the bottom. I carry most of my gear in Pelican Cases so an open top is perfect for me. The axle is on and the springs along with the floor
IMG_3489.JPG
Tongue is one and they came up with an actual good way to use the parking brake that was on the axle. Crazy how it works after 70 years.
IMG_3490.JPG

Starting to come together. Great start to what I think will be an awesome trailer.
IMG_3492.JPG
They came up with a hidden table on the back that will be up under the rear end. It slides out for use on the back where I told them I wanted a kitchen area.

theBROFESSOR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Conway, Arkansas
Member #

Another poster here said the expanded sheet metal rubbed holes in his plastic cases, so he bought a rubber stall mat from a farm store. I think that cured his issues.

James
Yeah I plan to get a rubber mat. Spotted a nice one at Tractor Supply the other day that should fit perfectly. Plus I love rubber. Keeps rattling and noises down.

theBROFESSOR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Conway, Arkansas
Member #

One thing I definitely wanted on this trailer was for the rear of the trailer to be my kitchen area. So they are making me a swingout door with a fold down table. I have asked for one on the other side as well. This should be very nice since I love to cook and be camp chef.
IMG_3666.JPG IMG_3908.JPG IMG_3910.JPG

SLPNBG

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mechanicsville, Va
Member #

You should/ I would have the outer table swing up. You'd have two separate working surfaces from one side of the tailgate.

theBROFESSOR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Conway, Arkansas
Member #

A few times the wife and i have been out camping and have ran out of propane for heat/cooking and several other times we have been very close. Having an FJ Cruiser we don't have a ton of room and when we adopted out Bulldog the usable space got even smaller. We carried a 5lb propane bottle for a long time and then we just decided on trips for more than 1-2 nights we definitely need more. So on this trailer I had then put me a holder for 2 20lb bottles. May be a little overkill but in my book, if you really go out and do a week-10 days at a time and your heat, cooking, lights etc are all ran off propane you can't have too much.

BlueLineOverland

Local Expert, Arkansas USA

Experimenter II

Ozark Arkansas
First Name
Mason
Last Name
Berry
Member #

A few times the wife and i have been out camping and have ran out of propane for heat/cooking and several other times we have been very close. Having an FJ Cruiser we don't have a ton of room and when we adopted out Bulldog the usable space got even smaller. We carried a 5lb propane bottle for a long time and then we just decided on trips for more than 1-2 nights we definitely need more. So on this trailer I had then put me a holder for 2 20lb bottles. May be a little overkill but in my book, if you really go out and do a week-10 days at a time and your heat, cooking, lights etc are all ran off propane you can't have too much.
View attachment 88424

Now this is AWESOME!!!!!!

Reactions: theBROFESSOR