Rank IV

Enthusiast I

Edmond, OK, USA
First Name
Colby
Last Name
Sheperd
Member #

Ok everyone, I have a trip next week with my college roommates, Leaving Oklahoma April 21st and coming back the 26th.. i know its not the longest teip but itll be a nice getaway. We are planning on going to Arizona, possibly sedona Area. Does anyone have any cool spots that they know of that has some fishing, hiking, and preferably a free site? Planning on staying at one spot for a couple nights then going to another for a couple before heading back to home. Also any rules and regulations that differ from oklahoma that I might need to know about before heading that way. Dont plan on doing any wheeling so easier roads would be nice since taking a full size tahoe and a small trailer.

Thanks,

Colby Sheperd #26538

Attachments

oneleglance

Rank V

Contributor II

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
LANCE
Last Name
BLAIR
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE7NKP
Look more on the Eastern side of Az like Northeast of Payson for fishing/forest/free camping.
WIllow Springs lake, Blue Ridge Res and areas like that.
Sedona you have little fishing and the forest north is a bit of a drive.

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Hello Colby, welcome from Navina, Oklahoma.

You are in the Southwest Region. Check out the Southwest Region sub-forum for local information and involvement opportunities.

Here is the link to the forum calendar and Meet-Up event page: Overland Bound Meetups.
Or to check out what other members are planning go here: Overland Trip Planning.

I am one of the SW Region Member Reps so if you have any questions let me know. @freak4life is another SW Region Member rep based in AZ.
If you are on Facebook feel free to join us there as well, Overland Bound – Southwest.

Good luck and safe travels.

SoonerStateOverland

Rank IV

Enthusiast I

Edmond, OK, USA
First Name
Colby
Last Name
Sheperd
Member #

Look more on the Eastern side of Az like Northeast of Payson for fishing/forest/free camping.
WIllow Springs lake, Blue Ridge Res and areas like that.
Sedona you have little fishing and the forest north is a bit of a drive.[/QUOTE

Ok cool. Thank you very much. Thatll cut a couple hours off of driving. Fishing wasn't top priority but it is definitely a plus. Im gonna try loading up everything without the trailer amd see if I can make it work, so we might be able to check out some more secluded areas.. Seems like I've accumulated way too many things lately. Thanks again for the feedback

SoonerStateOverland

Rank IV

Enthusiast I

Edmond, OK, USA
First Name
Colby
Last Name
Sheperd
Member #

Hello Colby, welcome from Navina, Oklahoma.

You are in the Southwest Region. Check out the Southwest Region sub-forum for local information and involvement opportunities.

Here is the link to the forum calendar and Meet-Up event page: Overland Bound Meetups.
Or to check out what other members are planning go here: Overland Trip Planning.

I am one of the SW Region Member Reps so if you have any questions let me know. @freak4life is another SW Region Member rep based in AZ.
If you are on Facebook feel free to join us there as well, Overland Bound – Southwest.

Good luck and safe travels.[/QUOTe

Will do, new to this app. So I figured I was discussing this in the wrong forum.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
sedona is definitely one of my go-to spots out west. we went right before covid and i've seen where some of the hikes and cool areas to see are either closed or require reservations now, so definitely check places before going. there are some hikes where you can walk the entire thing or take a jeep trail for part of it, so that is nice that you can drive some trails and then actually hike as well. one is the vultee arch where you can park and walk the whole thing or drive on a rough road a ways to another parking area and then hike to the devil's bridge, which is a pretty good hike. i just bought my tundra and it was stock and i bottomed out a lot on the jeep trail and quickly had to turn around and go park with all the other low clearance vehicles, so some of the trails there are a bit rough. there are also the pink jeep tours there, so there are several jeep trails around there that arent too bad if you want a little off road. not sure how far you want to drive, but the superstition mountains are a couple hours south of sedona and there are some trails and hikes out there that are pretty cool. we also found a campground that was right on a lake (canyon lake) up in the mountains and that was a great place to ovenight and very scenic. you can google and see if there are any offraod trails around canyon lake...that whole area was pretty cool.

apache trail is also pretty interesting

Last edited:
Reactions: SoonerStateOverland

Mustang03

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Green Valley, AZ
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Lavender
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE5ATG
Service Branch
U.S. Marine Corps
Ok everyone, I have a trip next week with my college roommates, Leaving Oklahoma April 21st and coming back the 26th.. i know its not the longest teip but itll be a nice getaway. We are planning on going to Arizona, possibly sedona Area. Does anyone have any cool spots that they know of that has some fishing, hiking, and preferably a free site? Planning on staying at one spot for a couple nights then going to another for a couple before heading back to home. Also any rules and regulations that differ from oklahoma that I might need to know about before heading that way. Dont plan on doing any wheeling so easier roads would be nice since taking a full size tahoe and a small trailer.

Thanks,

Colby Sheperd #26538
There is free boondocking west of Sedona. Take Loy Butte Rd. north from SR 89A. It is about 5 - 1/2 miles west from the outskirts of town. You should have no issues with a small trailer, it's a well-maintained road. Look for clearings right off the road. We last stayed a couple days at a spot at lat 34.861273N lon -111.909739. Check it out on Google Earth. Agree with the posters above about fishing. Not much around there. If you want hiking, consider going further west on 89A through the old mining town of Jerome and up Mingus Mountain. There are decent forest service campgrounds up there. With the temperatures going up, you'd do well to go to higher elevations!

SoonerStateOverland

Rank IV

Enthusiast I

Edmond, OK, USA
First Name
Colby
Last Name
Sheperd
Member #

Thanks a lot for all that useful information out. This trip will be more about chilling around the campfire with some old friends and telling stories. Jeep trails really aren't on the list to do, hiking will be small trails of any after my hip and back surgeries. More or less this will be a trip that helps me plan a big overlanding trip with my jeep and a couple other overlanders. But fishing will definitely be too priority. So thinking we will be exploring big lake, hawley lake and that whole area. Hoping to stay im sedona 1 or 2 night to just bc ive been dying to see that area after watching so many cool videos from there

SoonerStateOverland

Rank IV

Enthusiast I

Edmond, OK, USA
First Name
Colby
Last Name
Sheperd
Member #

Thanks,

Colby Sheperd #26538
There is free boondocking west of Sedona. Take Loy Butte Rd. north from SR 89A. It is about 5 - 1/2 miles west from the outskirts of town. You should have no issues with a small trailer, it's a well-maintained road. Look for clearings right off the road. We last stayed a couple days at a spot at lat 34.861273N lon -111.909739. Check it out on Google Earth. Agree with the posters above about fishing. Not much around there. If you want hiking, consider going further west on 89A through the old mining town of Jerome and up Mingus Mountain. There are decent forest service campgrounds up there. With the temperatures going up, you'd do well to go to higher elevations!
Really appreciate the gps coordinates. That will be all I need along with gaia subscription. And I look forward to some warmer temps. Over the cold here in Oklahoma.

Mustang03

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Green Valley, AZ
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Lavender
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE5ATG
Service Branch
U.S. Marine Corps
Really appreciate the gps coordinates. That will be all I need along with gaia subscription. And I look forward to some warmer temps. Over the cold here in Oklahoma.
Then let me tempt you further... Our old camper (on it's last trip) at the coordinates I gave you. Enjoy!

Attachments

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
Williams (Just west of Flagstaff) is a great town, touristy but fun, free wifi, good food, and free dispersed camping nearby: Arizona RV Camping - Williams
Flagstaff and south: Flagstaff Free Dispersed Camping Spots | Southwest Microadventures

If going south of Flag, you must go to Mogollon Rim: Forest Road 300

Jim

GreenLine74

Rank VI
Investor

Steward I

Tombstone, AZ, USA
First Name
Tony
Last Name
Townsend
Member #

Thanks,

Colby Sheperd #26538
Haven’t been to that area as a camper or over lander. But as a traveler who has been to this area staying in hotels, very nice area. I’m new to overlanding and plan on returning to this area soon. Please post your experience from this trip. Enjoy.

SoonerStateOverland

Rank IV

Enthusiast I

Edmond, OK, USA
First Name
Colby
Last Name
Sheperd
Member #

Ok everyone made it back from the trip and I couldn't have been more pleased here's some pics from the trip. Decided on not taking the trailer and turned out to be a good decision

Attachments

Reactions: Mustang03