Are overland / adventure trailers considered RV's?

• HTML tutorial

NFTJ03!

Rank 0

Contributor I

FL, USA
Hey all,

I'm in the process of building my adventure trailer and my plan is to have a RTT mounted on it. Most of our camping is done in national forests ion dispersed areas, but I am planning a trip this fall that would take me through some national parks. In looking at these sites, they have tent only and RV / tent sites. I'm not a fan of camping next to RV's, but with a 4x6 trailer with RTT attached, will they consider it an RV and not let me have a drive up tent site?

Thanks

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Hey all,

I'm in the process of building my adventure trailer and my plan is to have a RTT mounted on it. Most of our camping is done in national forests ion dispersed areas, but I am planning a trip this fall that would take me through some national parks. In looking at these sites, they have tent only and RV / tent sites. I'm not a fan of camping next to RV's, but with a 4x6 trailer with RTT attached, will they consider it an RV and not let me have a drive up tent site?

Thanks
Depends on the camp ground... some if not most will make you pay an RV fee... while a few more primitive camp grounds won’t make you pay for an RV spot...

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Yes, it depends on the campground. Some tents only sites are carry in. Other tent only sites are doable for an RTT. And some, aren't tent friendly at all as they are just pull throughs on asphalt, for RVs. Which NPs are you talking about? We've been to a lot of em.

NFTJ03!

Rank 0

Contributor I

FL, USA
I'm planning a trip up to Red River Gorge but I was planning on staying a few days at Smoky Mountains NP. Looking at the individual camp sites, they have car accessible tent sites (Elkmont Campground) and RV sites. I don't mind paying an RV fee, but I'm not too thrilled about being next to a 35' RV.

We are also planning a trip to Big Bend NP but as I read it, they allow dispersed camping there.

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

Call ahead with your question. I'd think that most places would see it as a tent since you can drop it off and walk away in a tent sized spot, not a pull through RV spot. Explain it is not a trailer than can be lived in, only when the tent is deployed.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
20 years ago we camped at SMNP and as I recall, the tent sites would accommodate an RTT. But, call ahead. When it’s not busy season the rangers will give you all kinds of phone time conversation. Big Bend NP does have dispersed camping. Be aware that the campsites are very dispersed, in that you are easily a couple of hours, if not more from any services. You are isolated. Some of the sites, actually most of them worth visiting require a high clearance 4wd vehicle with low range. What is it you are driving? We’ll be headed there early May after a Moab region visit. BBNP & BBR state park is one of our favorite regions. Get yourself a National Geographic Map of BB before heading there. Nat Geo maps are invaluable

Last edited:
Reactions: NFTJ03!

NFTJ03!

Rank 0

Contributor I

FL, USA
20 years ago we camped at SMNP and as I recall, the tent sites would accommodate an RTT. But, call ahead. When it’s not busy season the rangers will give you all kinds of phone time conversation. Big Bend NP does have dispersed camping. Be aware that the campsites are very dispersed, in that you are easily a couple of hours, if not more from any services. You are isolated. Some of the sites, actually most of them worth visiting require a high clearance 4wd vehicle with low range. What is it you are driving? We’ll be headed there early May after a Moab region visit. BBNP & BBR state park is one of our favorite regions. Get yourself a National Geographic Map of BB before heading there. Nat Geo maps are invaluable
Thanks! I have a TJ and a 4Runner. The 4Runner is also 4x4 but it is my DD so it is stock except for BFG KO2 tires.

NFTJ03!

Rank 0

Contributor I

FL, USA
You’d be amazed at where the stock 4 runner can go.
Absolutely! Just like my TJ. I wheeled it stock for a few years and then settled on an appropriate lift / tire size for the wheeling I was going to do. Originally I wanted the trailer to tow behind my TJ, but the older I get, the less appealing long trips in the TJ sound LOL. Right now, for longer, out of state trips, I'm planning on taking the 4Runner.

Reactions: MOAK

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
We sold our 04 rubicon TJ 8 years ago for that same reason, it was great for short trips, but comfortable after being in in for 4 -6 weeks out and about? Not really, it was beating the hell out of us.
Same
500+ mile trips were wearing me out. Not to mention the lack of cargo area. By myself it wasn't too bad cargo wise but, myself, wife, son and his friend on a week off-road trip, it was cramped.

Most of my camping with the RTT on my M-100 was remote. The few times in a camp ground they considered it a trailer. I ended up with a spot that was sized for 3 vehicles or 1 vehicle and small trailer. If I recall correctly, most of the campgrounds I've stayed at in the national forest, you got it by vehicle size. EX: 20ft, 30ft...... The M-100 (towed by TJ or cruiser) ended up in a space size I would have reserved for my Dually with a 11.5 lance camper towing my TJ.

Reactions: MOAK