Are cannon-style stubby dual band antennas pretty worthless?

• HTML tutorial

46&2

Rank 0

Contributor I

Northern Virginia
First Name
Miles
Last Name
I am trying to figure out how to set up my jeep for ham - want to balance stealth with range, but I cannot imagine these small options have any range outside of urban areas.

Anyone have first hand experience with these?

Reactions: Sparksalot

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
You're not going to get good performance out of VHF frequencies but UHF it should perform acceptably in a good location with a good ground plane. A quarter wave UHF antenna is about 6 or 7 inches. A half wave is about double that. You can probably make it resonant on VHF but you're going to be compromising performance.

46&2

Rank 0

Contributor I

Northern Virginia
First Name
Miles
Last Name
that's the other issue is finding a good ground plane with no metal roof.. a bumper would probably not be enough, right?

I am leaning toward a 1/2 wave, but afraid tucking between the spare and rear window would impede too much of the signal

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
that's the other issue is finding a good ground plane with no metal roof.. a bumper would probably not be enough, right?

I am leaning toward a 1/2 wave, but afraid tucking between the spare and rear window would impede too much of the signal
Ah wasn't paying attention didn't realize you were in a Wrangler. It'll be better than a short stubby with no ground plane. The 1/2 wave doesn't need a ground plane like a 1/4 wave does. It still benefits from it but it's not as necessary. I've seen plenty of little "stands" for lack of a better word that come off of the spare tire mount and stick up over the spare tire closer to the roof edge. Wouldn't' be difficult to cut a small plate that would act as a ground plane for a 1/4 wave or stubby antenna.

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
I am trying to figure out how to set up my jeep for ham - want to balance stealth with range, but I cannot imagine these small options have any range outside of urban areas.

Anyone have first hand experience with these?
I run one. I have all of mine as short or low profile in the city. going out into the wilderness, I change all three into something larger to get maximum punch. I use NMO mounts to make it easy.

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force

the glass and rubber won’t impede your signal anymore than the fiberglass roof.

Reactions: 46&2

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Antennas don't take up much space. The stubby can be tossed in the center console or glove box. the longer ones can be stored on the floor between the seat base and rocker panel.

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
Antennas don't take up much space. The stubby can be tossed in the center console or glove box. the longer ones can be stored on the floor between the seat base and rocker panel.
That’s essentially what I do with mine.

Reactions: Downs

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Arizona Rocky Road makes a mount that elevates the antenna base above the tire, would be high enough to work well with either antenna.

Last edited:
Reactions: Downs

TheBronze

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Montebello, CA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Washburn
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6GBW
Service Branch
US Army
I have mine mounted on the cowling right in front of the passenger side. I've used a Diamond B-10NMO antenna that is only 12" tall and it works pretty good on both VHF and UHF. Best of all it's very inconspicuous.

Reactions: Sparksalot

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
I have mine mounted on the cowling right in front of the passenger side. I've used a Diamond B-10NMO antenna that is only 12" tall and it works pretty good on both VHF and UHF. Best of all it's very inconspicuous.
I had one of those for a few years. Loved it. Unfortunately, the spring behind the center contact button broke and the antenna was useless afterwards.