Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
Went with the single motor compressor- the biggest tires I’ll be running are 33’s. It might be a little slower but for the cost savings over the twin right now, I’ll gladly wait another minute!
AW man, you took the battery tray. Now where does the fridge get power?

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Went with the single motor compressor- the biggest tires I’ll be running are 33’s. It might be a little slower but for the cost savings over the twin right now, I’ll gladly wait another minute!
Looks like the CKMA12?

It's a terrific air compressor. I've had one in my trailer going on four years, and at first wanted to get the twin for faster air-up times. "Nah," I thought, "I'll use this one, then upgrade later if I really need it and sell this or put it in my van."

Then found that even with as much as I use mine for six tires, and for helping others air up, I haven't once minded the time it takes. Certainly not worth the extra $600 smackeroos, at least in my case. If you're in a convoy or group with others and folks are waiting on you, maybe, though I rarely am. When I'm out camping and adventuring, I'm rarely in a rush for anything, much less worrying about time it takes to air up. Those pesos are better spent--again, in my case--on staying out longer and adventuring more.

I did find that I needed more air hose to stretch from the trailer to the front tires of my van (20' long) when hitched up, or when helping others air up, so got an additional 18' ARB hose to connect to my existing 18' one. I may switch the CKMA12 to the van at some point for when I'm not hauling the trailer and don't want to dig out my old Viair 90P I keep as backup.

A note on hoses, for those wanting to switch to, or add, a longer one. The ARB hose is a high-heat pressure hose which, in my understanding, is far better and longer lasting for the ARB compressors than a lighter-weight one may be.

I've also found over time that I reach for my simple TeraFlex Deflator instead of the other more expensive deflators I have from ARB and Boulder Tools. Comes apart into four deflators. I've used it enough I can set one van tire to deflate, go to the next and set it too, all the way around, and by the time I get back to the first, it's down where I want it. This little thing is always right there on the console or my key-ring and I don't go looking for the others. It's just as quick for me as it would be to hunker at each tire with the other deflators. There is one from Boulder Tools with four deflators you can preset to desired pressure and walk away. I have it, too, though still go for the TeraFlex because of it's simplicity and that it is one piece when stored.

terraflex_5933-700.jpegterraflex_5934-700.jpg

Good luck with you compressor; hope it does what you want.

Reactions: RAMXPLR

RAMXPLR

Rank V

Explorer I

Carlsbad, San Diego County, California, United States
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Lochow
Member #

Looks like the CKMA12?

It's a terrific air compressor. I've had one in my trailer going on four years, and at first wanted to get the twin for faster air-up times. "Nah," I thought, "I'll use this one, then upgrade later if I really need it and sell this or put it in my van."

Then found that even with as much as I use mine for six tires, and for helping others air up, I haven't once minded the time it takes. Certainly not worth the extra $600 smackeroos, at least in my case. If you're in a convoy or group with others and folks are waiting on you, maybe, though I rarely am. When I'm out camping and adventuring, I'm rarely in a rush for anything, much less worrying about time it takes to air up. Those pesos are better spent--again, in my case--on staying out longer and adventuring more.

I did find that I needed more air hose to stretch from the trailer to the front tires of my van (20' long) when hitched up, or when helping others air up, so got an additional 18' ARB hose to connect to my existing 18' one. I may switch the CKMA12 to the van at some point for when I'm not hauling the trailer and don't want to dig out my old Viair 90P I keep as backup.

A note on hoses, for those wanting to switch to, or add, a longer one. The ARB hose is a high-heat pressure hose which, in my understanding, is far better and longer lasting for the ARB compressors than a lighter-weight one may be.

I've also found over time that I reach for my simple TeraFlex Deflator instead of the other more expensive deflators I have from ARB and Boulder Tools. Comes apart into four deflators. I've used it enough I can set one van tire to deflate, go to the next and set it too, all the way around, and by the time I get back to the first, it's down where I want it. This little thing is always right there on the console or my key-ring and I don't go looking for the others. It's just as quick for me as it would be to hunker at each tire with the other deflators. There is one from Boulder Tools with four deflators you can preset to desired pressure and walk away. I have it, too, though still go for the TeraFlex because of it's simplicity and that it is one piece when stored.

View attachment 194294View attachment 194295

Good luck with you compressor; hope it does what you want.
Thanks. That’s a cool deflator tool you have there!
I deflated and aired up my tires in nothing flat yesterday, just to practice and try out the new gear. Worked great. If it lasts- I’ll be happy.

Reactions: Road

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I deflated and aired up my tires in nothing flat yesterday, just to practice and try out the new gear. Worked great. If it lasts- I’ll be happy.
You're welcome, and yeah, I'm finding that the longer I have gear and go out on longer and longer adventures, it's often the simplest, easiest, and most conveniently-at-hand gear that gets used most.

You should get a good long life out of your ARB compressor. Send in the warranty stuff just in case.

Good luck out there, and hope you have a blast!

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Have also the ARB CKMA 12 on board since some years now. It supplies the air locker and two air supplies (left and right side of the cabin). I am running 255/85 16, which is about 33s. For me, this compressor is absolutely sufficient for overlanding purposes. I have fitted a 9.5 liter or 2.5 gallon air pressure tank in addition. However, I only use it when I really need a lot of air, e.g. in the rally biwack when servicing at race events or supllying air for more than one rig.

From a photo I can't judge your installation situation exactly. But often there is a fair amount of dirt getting under the hood. Maybe it's a good idea to think about a kind of protection for the compressor?

Reactions: RAMXPLR and Road

RAMXPLR

Rank V

Explorer I

First Name
Gary
Last Name
Lochow
Member #

You're welcome, and yeah, I'm finding that the longer I have gear and go out on longer and longer adventures, it's often the simplest, easiest, and most conveniently-at-hand gear that gets used most.

You should get a good long life out of your ARB compressor. Send in the warranty stuff just in case.

Good luck out there, and hope you have a blast!
Thanks, you too!

RAMXPLR

Rank V

Explorer I

First Name
Gary
Last Name
Lochow
Member #

AW man, you took the battery tray. Now where does the fridge get power?
Easy to undo if I choose to go dual battery route, however, living in earthquake and fire country, I like the idea of a Jackery solar battery for dual use in house and truck. (Plus, I have the space in a big truck)

Reactions: Sparksalot

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Have also the ARB CKMA 12 on board since some years now. It supplies the air locker and two air supplies (left and right side of the cabin). I am running 255/85 16, which is about 33s. For me, this compressor is absolutely sufficient for overlanding purposes. I have fitted a 9.5 liter or 2.5 gallon air pressure tank in addition. However, I only use it when I really need a lot of air, e.g. in the rally biwack when servicing at race events or supllying air for more than one rig.

From a photo I can't judge your installation situation exactly. But often there is a fair amount of dirt getting under the hood. Maybe it's a good idea to think about a kind of protection for the compressor?
What's the most efficient way to add a tank to a CKMA12?

It then always pressurizes the tank first, then you run the hose from the tank, I'll assume. Would a 9.5 liter tank be enough to run an air tool like a light nail gun?

Last edited:

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
What's the most efficient way to add a tank to a CMAK12?

It then always pressurizes the tank first, then you run the hose from the tank, I'll assume. Would a 9.5 liter tank be enough to run an air tool like a light nail gun?
I run the hose from the compressor to an air supply near the compressor and another hose to the other side of the rig where it feeds the other air supply and the air pressure tank. I fitted a valve in between to shut of the other side with the tank because otherweise - as you pointed out already - the compressor will fill pressurize whole tank first. I wanted to make sure that I have anough pressure in the system in only seconds after switching on the compressor to activate the lockers. And I do not use the tank so often. It´s all custmized to my needs. But you could also get original ARB stuff such as an air tank and so on.

Never tried air tools til now with the onboard system.

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I run the hose from the compressor to an air supply near the compressor and another hose to the other side of the rig where it feeds the other air supply and the air pressure tank. I fitted a valve in between to shut of the other side with the tank because otherweise - as you pointed out already - the compressor will fill pressurize whole tank first. I wanted to make sure that I have anough pressure in the system in only seconds after switching on the compressor to activate the lockers. And I do not use the tank so often. It´s all custmized to my needs. But you could also get original ARB stuff such as an air tank and so on.

Never tried air tools til now with the onboard system.
Oh cool, makes sense to have each side separate, especially with the tank on one side, and so to be able to have air for lockers on demand.

I'll look into what's possible if I move my CKMA12 to the van, and into what amount of pressure is needed in a tank, and how large, to run various air tools.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Edit: quick search (which I should've done before asking ;) shows a need for "an air compressor with 4 to 5 CFM @90 PSI to run a 1/2 inch impact wrench. I would also recommend you to get a 20-gallon capacity compressor to avoid delay between tasks" and that for nail guns and most other air tools one would need more than a CKMA12 and a 9.5 liter tank.

Last edited:

RAMXPLR

Rank V

Explorer I

First Name
Gary
Last Name
Lochow
Member #

It’s all the way back against the firewall behind the radiator overflow. I don’t want it inside the rig if I font have to -we’ll see how it goes.

Reactions: El-Dracho

RAMXPLR

Rank V

Explorer I

First Name
Gary
Last Name
Lochow
Member #

It’s all the way back against the firewall behind the radiator overflow. I don’t want it inside the rig if I font have to -we’ll see how it goes.
If I DONT have to.