Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lawrenceville, GA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Martin
Member #

Wondering how folks out there with ARB awnings have mounted them to a Yakima LoadWarrior. I went with the ARB over the Yakima as I don't want the awning "inside" the basket, I want to keep all the basket space usable if I want it. I've seen the L-brackets and u-bults for mounting to round bars, and was thinking maybe a 90 degree, flat L bracket might do the trick in allowing me to mount it immediately alongside my basket (see my rudimentary drawing below...red represents top bar of basket, black is flat L bracket, blue represents awning). I'm not past eventually ordering the Fourtreks mounts, but hoping to not have to spend that if I don't have to (even though I'm sure they're worth it). Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated (as would a link to where this is already discussed, if I'm missed it).

Attachments

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
You already know I use Fourtreks for everything mounted around and along the top of my Load Warrior. Super strong and very versatile since you can attach things to both sides of the clamp. I fully understand the reservations about the price though.

5C11E23C-508F-4CCD-95CA-B327A81FEDD2.jpeg 8FC3F2A9-EC64-42CB-B969-2E1637BB1ACD.jpeg

martin_j001

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lawrenceville, GA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Martin
Member #

You already know I use Fourtreks for everything mounted around and along the top of my Load Warrior. Super strong and very versatile since you can attach things to both sides of the clamp. I fully understand the reservations about the price though.

View attachment 63381 View attachment 63382
Yeah, I may end up with those no matter what. But, as my awning arrives tomorrow, and I may try to use it Thursday, I’ve got a desire to come up with something quickly, for the time being at least.

TheGreatWhiteBuffalo

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Livermore, CA, USA
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Gini
Member #

If you wanna do a little bit of DIY, I used four or five pipe straps that I lined with felt padding, then bent them to line up with the ARB awning mount rails. I also lined the places where the awning might rub on the rack. The picture is off my Subaru (which I no longer have) but it held up really well, I had it on there for ~1.5 years and no issues.

IMG_5668.JPG

IMG_9513.JPGIMG_9515.JPG

Mike G

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

San Jose, CA
Member #

Here’s my old set up with a 6.5’ awning. Worked just as good. I did cut the awning L brackets on this one.
IMG_1033.JPG

martin_j001

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lawrenceville, GA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Martin
Member #

I like seeing the good pics of the DIY ones, makes it much easier for others when they look for this info.

I ended up with the Fourtreks mounts, and have been very pleased with them. They are about the cleanest, most out of the way mounting solution I've seen for this setup. I also like that it puts the awning at the top of the basket. While it's only a couple inches difference than some other mounts, it's nice to have it up as high as possible.

gonzoy5

Rank V
Launch Member

Builder I

Miami, Fl
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Gonzalez
Member #

Another vote for Fourtreks. Really clean. I used them for my Smittybuilt awning.