Oakland, Bergen County, New Jersey, United States
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH
Hi guys! As of this weekend I have completed the Appalachian Byway from GPS 40.82876, -75.98301 in central PA eastbound through the entire NJ and NY sections.

There is zero dirt on this route. It is scenic, but it is the same as using the “avoid highways” option in google maps. This is the only route I have ever paid for and it’s also the only one I’ve ever been disappointed with.

I would NOT recommend this to anyone who wants to get really remote and use 4WD.

I WOULD recommend this to anyone who might be trying to do a scenic road trip not requiring 4WD.

PA camp sites are free but require a reservation. They are divided into 2 categories:
“primitive”- where you carry your tent etc to the camp site from your car/truck
And
“Motorized” - where you can park on your campsite. If you have an RTT this is for you.

We camped just outside of Milford PA the first night at a site called O26 Fire Tower. It’s perfect for an RTT as there is no flat space at this spot. We noticed all the other sites there were very flat but not very private. O26 is very private, that was pretty cool.

Then we camped at the Port Clinton tract of Weiser. As the name implies it is in Port Clinton PA. We booked PC1 thinking it was a “motorized” site. The Port Clinton sites are perhaps a bit unique for PA sites because they aren’t exactly primitive or motorized. There are bars preventing you from driving close to the fire pit and table. But the parking spot is large and flat and we could set up camp there if we wanted. The rain was very real during our trip and a camp fire wasn’t gonna happen.
Initially I was unhappy about the Port Clinton sites because it wasn’t what I expected but in hindsight it was pretty cool.
Just thought I would share

Dusther210

Rank VI

Influencer I

First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH
Okay, thank you! Yellow pine is also one of them. You pasted it on your way in. View attachment 204594
Oh, in that case it would probably be one of the flat, open spots right along the road. I don’t remember seeing that site specifically but it seemed like every spot there except mine was flat and right next to the road. Next time I go I will probably stay at site O24 or 25. Please let me know how Yellow Pine is

Last edited:

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

I wasn't pushing for too deep in being I have no clue what they look like. Just wanted something along the way. Coming back is a different story since I'll be running much of the MABDR. I believe I'll once again being running up through the PA State Forest system. I'm still planning this out and will pick a couple sites/areas ahead of time, yet try to book as we approach the area on the return.

Safe Travels!

Reactions: Dusther210

Dusther210

Rank VI

Influencer I

First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH
I wasn't pushing for too deep in being I have no clue what they look like. Just wanted something along the way. Coming back is a different story since I'll be running much of the MABDR. I believe I'll once again being running up through the PA State Forest system. I'm still planning this out and will pick a couple sites/areas ahead of time, yet try to book as we approach the area on the return.

Safe Travels!
Cherry Springs doesn’t look too far from the top of MABDR. It’s on our list of places to go next year, thought I’d mention that as a camp site idea for you.

With the PA state forest sites booking 2 days in a row is a good idea if you like to sleep in. That 11am check out time was the hardest part of our trip

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

The way back we'll be checking online for spots. Figure we'll need one as we cross into PA and just before we leave PA. I'm thinking I may jump off MABDR and switch to NEBDR about mid state. Haven't really worked through this part yet. I'd like to return home using 'some' of the NEBDR, thinking I may straight line it a bit. Tat's too far down the road to anticipate.. LOL

Reactions: Dusther210

Dusther210

Rank VI

Influencer I

First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH
The way back we'll be checking online for spots. Figure we'll need one as we cross into PA and just before we leave PA. I'm thinking I may jump off MABDR and switch to NEBDR about mid state. Haven't really worked through this part yet. I'd like to return home using 'some' of the NEBDR, thinking I may straight line it a bit. Tat's too far down the road to anticipate.. LOL

Can’t go wrong with either MABDR or NEBDR, it’s gonna be a pretty epic trip when both are involved