Anyone use their CPAP on the trail?

• Hi Guest, you may choose a LIGHT or DARK theme that works best for you with the "Style Chooser" button at the bottom left on this page!

Sid

Rank I

Contributor II

Prince Frederick, MD
Member #

Hey guys, just curious who else uses their CPAP machine while overlanding and how you have it setup. I was thinking about an inverter to my Jeep battery (single system) but I obviously don't want to drain my battery. Another thought was a Honda suitcase, but honestly, not my favorite idea. How do you power yours?

Basha813

Rank I

Traveler I

Lakeland, FL 33809
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Darnell
Member #

Hey guys, just curious who else uses their CPAP machine while overlanding and how you have it setup. I was thinking about an inverter to my Jeep battery (single system) but I obviously don't want to drain my battery. Another thought was a Honda suitcase, but honestly, not my favorite idea. How do you power yours?
Good Morning. While I use an offroad teardrop, it has a deep cell battery and 1500 watt inverter. I've gone 3 days with my CPAP and I have severe sleep apnea. I also have a 100w solar panel to recharge during the day.

Reactions: T.Shack and Sid

old_man

Rank V

Contributor III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham Callsign
WØNUT
I run a cpap as well. Mine will run off of 12v (without the humidifier). Back in the day I would run a line from my Jeep battery to my tent, but with the teardrop, I actually dedicated one to the trailer and it is wired directly into the 12v deep cycle. Running from 12v is a lot more efficient than 120v. I have never even come close to running down my battery.

I camp a lot at 10k+ altitude and it really helps waking up refreshed.

A note: Where I live there is a non-profit that specializes in reselling cleaned/refurbished used medical equipment. I pick up an almost brand new cpap for less than $50. I actually have 3. One for home, one for my trailer and one for my apartment in DC where I work on contract for months on end. That way I don't have to lug one through baggage check.

OH, I forgot #4. I run one with about a 30 ft hose that feeds clean air in my welding helmet. It keeps me from sweating so much and fogging up the glass as well as sucking up those fumes. I also run it into a sandblasting helmet from time to time. I have seriously thought about modifying one of my paint respirators for painting cars.

Last edited:
Reactions: T.Shack and Sid

Sid

Rank I

Contributor II

Prince Frederick, MD
Member #

I run a cpap as well. Mine will run off of 12v (without the humidifier). Back in the day I would run a line from my Jeep battery to my tent, but with the teardrop, I actually dedicated one to the trailer and it is wired directly into the 12v deep cycle. Running from 12v is a lot more efficient than 120v. I have never even come close to running down my battery.

I camp a lot at 10k+ altitude and it really helps waking up refreshed.

A note: Where I live there is a non-profit that specializes in reselling cleaned/refurbished used medical equipment. I pick up an almost brand new cpap for less than $50. I actually have 3. One for home, one for my trailer and one for my apartment in DC where I work on contract for months on end. That way I don't have to lug one through baggage check.

OH, I forgot #4. I run one with about a 30 ft hose that feeds clean air in my welding helmet. It keeps me from sweating so much and fogging up the glass as well as sucking up those fumes. I also run it into a sandblasting helmet from time to time. I have seriously thought about modifying one of my paint respirators for painting cars.

Awesome! Some good ideas here. I'll give it a go and see if it runs down my battery thru and inverter then. I'll just bring a battery booster just in case lol.

Sid

Rank I

Contributor II

Prince Frederick, MD
Member #

Good Morning. While I use an offroad teardrop, it has a deep cell battery and 1500 watt inverter. I've gone 3 days with my CPAP and I have severe sleep apnea. I also have a 100w solar panel to recharge during the day.

Nice man! Do you have a link for the solar setup and for the inverter you're running?

Sid

Rank I

Contributor II

Prince Frederick, MD
Member #

Rick Schlepphorst

Rank V
Supporter

Traveler III

Roanoke, Texas, USA
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Schlepphorst
Member #

Ham Callsign
KI5GMW
I took the humidifier off my CPAP and got a lightly used Goal Zero Yeti 150 off of Ebay. I also picked up a cable to run the CPAP off the 12 volt plug on the GZ and don't use the AC adapter. If I unplug the CPAP during the day so it doesn't pull ANY juice out of the Yeti150 I can get 3 or 4 solid nights out of it depending on temps. I just got a 50W solar panel to charge it during the day, so I could probably stay out until my food runs out now! :tonguewink: There are a few Youtube vids showing the setup.

Reactions: Seth Vernon

Tallen79

Rank I

Traveler I

St. Marys Ohio
Member #

Ham Callsign
KE8KTR
Check out my post where I show my build of a power supply. Search for DIY 12V Power Supply with schematic.