Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I know a bunch of photographers the only guys shooting film are the guys shooting 120mm or bigger. It’s hard to beat a well shot 4x5 if you want to go big. Having said that they all are scanning them and using photoshop to doll them up.

Reactions: old_man

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

I bought my last film Nikon in 2004...... and I'd still be shooting with it if the Kadak had survived the digital transformation.

love the stars in this old song

Reactions: Sparksalot

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
Since Kodachrome’s demise, no. No other film was comparable, and I don’t particularly want to go back to prints.

Reactions: Billiebob

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
What I never liked about Fuji was the color rendition. I’ve never seen a grassy mountpain slope above tree line that looks like a golf course green. But Fuji sees it that way.

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
I know a bunch of photographers the only guys shooting film are the guys shooting 120mm or bigger. It’s hard to beat a well shot 4x5 if you want to go big. Having said that they all are scanning them and using photoshop to doll them up.
Ask them where they are getting them scanned. Quality is hard to find.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

There is a quality about film you just cannot duplicate digitally and looking at old slides, prints which have been scanned and posted online brings back a certain nostalgic warmth rarely experienced in our digital world.

Someone posted a bunch of slides from the 1970s recently and they were marvelous.

haha... found it... love these photographs...

ALSO, note what he did this overland trip in.......

MCLELLAN_DSC_0219c.jpg

Glad he took the Celica and not the Monza

Last edited:

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
What I never liked about Fuji was the color rendition. I’ve never seen a grassy mountpain slope above tree line that looks like a golf course green. But Fuji sees it that way.
I find that with canon the images are flat and lifeless. with fuji they are full of depth. My friend is a fuji X-Photographer and his images are outstanding.

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Wow. I hadn't thought about FILM film for more than 10 years. I have an old Canon AE1 and a couple of Nikon N2020. Great cameras for thier times. I bought them used in the 1990's. And I used them well into 2010 or so.

I used to use 400 speed Fujifilm.

While I do enjoy the tactile book or photograph, I have embraced the idea of cloud storage for digital and cell phone photos. I'm not often trying to get a specific effect, but I sure hate it when my cell phone camera cant capture light or color correctly.

By the way, as of the initial COVID lockdowns, a local high school was offering a photography class complete with film and thier own darkroom made out of an old supply closet. So, the art will live on

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

I have zero trust in anything digital. Apple TV, I could watch the movie fot $5, or I could buy it for $20. I bought 1 movie and 5 years later, it is gone, no recourse. Everything digital is only a marketing plan. You never own anything, it'll disappear without notice, might as well leave the front door unlocked. I'll be doing another run of printing this week to get that permanrnt hardcopy record for my grandkids.

Reactions: Sparksalot

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

I have zero trust in anything digital. Apple TV, I could watch the movie fot $5, or I could buy it for $20. I bought 1 movie and 5 years later, it is gone, no recourse. Everything digital is only a marketing plan. You never own anything, it'll disappear without notice, might as well leave the front door unlocked. I'll be doing another run of printing this week to get that permanrnt hardcopy record for my grandkids.
Ii did learn that lesson with Amazon Prime Music a couple years back and was pissed.

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
Funny thing is, where I live, my doors are never locked. I use digital everything. I don't buy many movies, I have since my son receives google play cards for christmas so we buy them for him. We pay for netflix, a little app called canada tv (gives us 12 canadian tv channels), and stack tv on prime. We do not have a home phone or cable we saved over 100 dollars a month cutting the cords, and still have all the channels we watched with our 150 dollar cable package.

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

Ask them where they are getting them scanned. Quality is hard to find.
They scan them themself, they are using mostly Epson. I do know a guy that still has a Screen PMT scanner that he wet mounts.

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
When I was a professional, I used Ektrachrome 100 for my 120/220 roll and 4x5 and 8x10 sheets IIRC. I only used Kodachrome for 35mm way back when. When Kodak started dicking with their professional films, I tried their VR??? but ended up switching over to Fujichrome professional for the 120 stuff. I did a mainly scenic. I then had an interneg made up to 4x5 for printing in our own lab. I did not like the transparency to paper from CibaChrome. The smallest prints we made inhouse were 16x20 and went up to 40x60. Did a fair amount of Duratrans for backlit displays. My 120 stuff was mainly shot with a RB67 and my 4x5 with a Toyo Field and Schneider lenses. I love shooting with a leaf shutter.

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
They scan them themself, they are using mostly Epson. I do know a guy that still has a Screen PMT scanner that he wet mounts.
I have a good Epson flatbed scanner but I am not satisfied with the results. I have several banker's boxes full of stuff I would like to high-res scan.

Most of what I print is in the 30x40 range so resolution and fidelity is of prime importance.