Anyone running wheel spacers on Trailer?

• HTML tutorial

OutdoorTxs

Rank IV

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Sol
Member #

Ive got a Braxton Creek Bushwacker teardrop trailer. Mine is one of the earlier builds, and there is very minimal gap between the tire and body inside the fenders. It was recommended that I run wheel spacers to increase the gap a bit.
There is alot on spacers online, from both sides of the fence, but most of what Ive round are referring to running them on a vehicle, not a trailer.
Does anyone run them on their trailer? Any issues?

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Before buying spacers, check out the cost of a new axle. On mine spacers were $100, a new axle was $210. I went the new axle and now run the same wheels all around.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Do you ever need to re - torque the lugs?
The norm for spacers is to install them on clean hubs (no debris) torque them as you would a wheel, install wheel and drive around for 50 miles or so, then pull wheel off and re-torque spacers and wheels. Should be good for a long time. Go to Craigslist and google Tucson az wheel spacers. I just bought 4 for $100 with free shipping, 2 should be $50. Best solid steel spacers I've ever seen.

Last edited:
Reactions: OutdoorTxs

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

I have 2" spacers on 2 of my single axle trailers. I use Jeep wheels to match my tow vehicles and the reason I use spacers is that the diameter of the center hole of the wheels is too small to clear the axle hubs. The spacers also give me the back spacing I need for the wheels to clear the trailer body.

I've been doing this for about 8 and 2 years and have had no problems. I torque the spacers to 100 lb. and also use blue Loctite (not sure it's really needed) for the spacers, not the wheels. The wheels are also torqued to 100 lbs. I remove the wheels and spacers to clean, inspect, reinstall, etc. every spring when I repack the bearings.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Been running spacers on my trailer for over 10 years. I pull the wheels each winter and check the torque out of habit, as they have never loosened up a bit. I’ll keep checking though.
Just like everything else on a truck, it either loosens or rust in place. :-)

Okieflyr

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Philadelphia
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Barnes
I’ve got about 7000 miles on my spacers without issues. Running Timbren 2200 lb axle with 3500# spindles so I feel there is a little more head room on the spindle load. After final tightening, I used a marker on the lugnuts and studs to put a reference mark for an indicator of movement when being inspected.

Last edited:
Reactions: PCO6