Anyone running the Smittybilt SRC roof rack?

• HTML tutorial

The JKU Kraken

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I

Ft lauderdale
Member #

Looking into roof racks and don't necessarily want to break the bank. I have a JKU so I have a decent amount of storage. Mainly could be using the roof rack for a RTT and carrying extra fuel and things like that. Does anybody have any experience with this rack on the Jeeps? Yay or nay?

Funmobile

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Yuba City
Member #

I have a SRC on my 2006 TJ. I liked the relatively inexpensive price and decided to give it a try. Finish is/was ok, with a small wear spot from shipping. Fit is/was 9/10, with the installation being greatly aided by a second set of hands. The plastic knobs are pretty useless and mine cracked or popped off, before I finished the install. I am in the process of making some knurled replacements, with heli coil inserts.

The nut, within the knob stayed secure, just the plastic outer assy failed. They seem to be mainly cosmetic anyway.

I couldn't find a matching basket or ladder assembly that I liked, so I built my own, to fit the rack. I can post pics, if you would like. It is reminiscent of an old school Land Rover.

Last edited:

Busurfer

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Los Angeles, CA
Member #

I have the smaller Defender rack for fuel, axe & shovel and other items. If I were going to be using a RTT, I would stay with Gobi, Garvin, Frontrunner, etc. They have high capacities for both static and dynamic loads. Smittybilt's QC for powdercoating and welding would concern me if I had a RTT rig. I've repainted mine twice with bedliner coating and rust after the rain is still an issue.

Last edited:

The Overland Couple

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Irwin, PA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Schmitt
Member #

We went with the Garvin Adventure Rack. It is under $800 and works great for us. We have a 2 door JK and our RTT, awning, hi-lift jack, and shovel mounted on it. We have had it for about a year and it is solid!!! You also don't have to do any drilling for the install. So, if in the future you want to sell your Jeep you don't have to get any holes fixed.

Reactions: Northernlady

Cory1139

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Nashville, Tennessee, United States
First Name
Cory
Last Name
Tidwell
Member #

I have the smaller Defender rack for fuel, axe & shovel and other items. If I were going to be using a RTT, I would stay with Gobi, Garvin, Frontrunner, etc. They have high capacities for both static and dynamic loads. Smittybilt's QC for powdercoating and welding would concern me if I had a RTT rig. I've repainted mine twice with bedliner coating and rust after the rain is still an issue.
Do you use the defender rack ax and shovel mount or did you make your own? I had the defender mount but I couldn't figure the magic trick to install a shovel and ax on it. I sent it back and made a mount out of Quickfists.

Sent from my SM-J727V using OB Talk mobile app

The Overland Couple

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Irwin, PA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Schmitt
Member #

We used the tube mounts from hilift for the jack and made our own mount for the shovel with some U bolts and wing nuts. The adventure and wilderness racks are two completely different racks. You won't be able to use wilderness rack parts on a tube rack like the adventure rack

Attachments

The Overland Couple

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Irwin, PA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Schmitt
Member #

I was referring to the Garvin wilderness and adventure racks... sorry if that last post was confusing