Rank V

Advocate III

Delaware
First Name
Don
Last Name
Siegrist
Member #

Wondering if anyone out there is running a Haven Tent - LayFlat hammock tent. Or any other hammock tent for that matter. If so, I would love your overall opinion of the tent, pros/cons, etc. Seriously considering the Haven to try to stay lite and minimalist (no RTT) - at least for now. Thanks!!

Www.haventents.com

Reactions: FishinCrzy

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
Had not heard of Haven before. I have had Hennessey Hammock(s) for a long time and like them. Like Haven, it is designed to lay flat...more or less. Getting diagonal is the way the Hennessey achieves this and it packs very small. My biggest problem is that it is so comfortable I have a hard time falling to sleep if you can believe that. Getting inside with a mummy bag and a mattress is a little problematic and hope you don't have to get up and pee much during the night. It just takes a day or two to get used to it. Then, I have a hard time getting up in the morning it's so comfortable Now, I pack it as a backup to my RTT or if I ever decide to backpack in somewhere. To me, anything beats sleeping on the ground. I can do it if there is a good mattress underneath, but a hammock is so comfortable. I have slept through several huge thunderstorms in it and was mostly dry except when high winds blew a little rain under the fly. Storms so bad I started wondering what would happen if lightening struck the tree I was using!

Reactions: TacoD

TacoD

Rank V

Advocate III

Delaware
First Name
Don
Last Name
Siegrist
Member #

Had not heard of Haven before. I have had Hennessey Hammock(s) for a long time and like them. Like Haven, it is designed to lay flat...more or less. Getting diagonal is the way the Hennessey achieves this and it packs very small. My biggest problem is that it is so comfortable I have a hard time falling to sleep if you can believe that. Getting inside with a mummy bag and a mattress is a little problematic and hope you don't have to get up and pee much during the night. It just takes a day or two to get used to it. Then, I have a hard time getting up in the morning it's so comfortable Now, I pack it as a backup to my RTT or if I ever decide to backpack in somewhere. To me, anything beats sleeping on the ground. I can do it if there is a good mattress underneath, but a hammock is so comfortable. I have slept through several huge thunderstorms in it and was mostly dry except when high winds blew a little rain under the fly. Storms so bad I started wondering what would happen if lightening struck the tree I was using!
Thanks for the response! The hammock tents seem to get great reviews and most people talk a lot about the comfort. I have a Teton tent, mattress and cot combo now. Overall relatively comfortable but you still need to work a bit to get it level, the rain fly would be a lot to put on in the middle of a rainstorm and you don’t want to put it on just in case as it cuts off all ventilation and the cot and mattress take up a LOT of space. I really like how small and lite the (Haven) hammock tents packs down. I am very early in my rig build (still a relatively stock ‘21 Taco OR) and I may look at RTT down the road but thinking maybe for now $300-$400 in a nice hammock tent setup and investing more $s into suspension, etc at this early point.

Reactions: FishinCrzy

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
Thanks for the response! The hammock tents seem to get great reviews and most people talk a lot about the comfort. I have a Teton tent, mattress and cot combo now. Overall relatively comfortable but you still need to work a bit to get it level, the rain fly would be a lot to put on in the middle of a rainstorm and you don’t want to put it on just in case as it cuts off all ventilation and the cot and mattress take up a LOT of space. I really like how small and lite the (Haven) hammock tents packs down. I am very early in my rig build (still a relatively stock ‘21 Taco OR) and I may look at RTT down the road but thinking maybe for now $300-$400 in a nice hammock tent setup and investing more $s into suspension, etc at this early point.
RTT is a big expenditure and should be carefully considered. They are not for everyone. There are so many options these days depending on what your goal is. My theory is to have options/backups on the trail and be flexible. Good luck with your build. Do your research before spending your money!

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

Very interesting. As far as hammock tents go, assuming it's good quality, this one is probably tops. I haven't seen anyone using a hammock tent in my part of the world, so I haven't had a chance to ask anyone first hand about them. They seem to be uber comfy, by the look of them.

The big drawback I see is that as a rule they require two stout trees within a certain range of distance from each other. I've camped in several places and can think of several more where this would absolutely be a no-go, because there would be nothing to secure it to. In some situations you could maybe string it between the roof racks of two vehicles, if you can convince your buddy to let you use his, but even that isn't always possible.

Reactions: TacoD