Anyone running 285/70 R17's on a 4th gen 4runner with a 2" lift?

• HTML tutorial

NW Adventure & Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Poulsbo, Washington, United States
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Hart
Member #

Service Branch
Army - Former
I'm getting ready to upgrade my tires and I know the 285's will fit ok if you have a 3" lift. But has anyone done this with just a 2"? Is there plenty of clearance? I have been planning on running 255?75 R17's, but am curious about the 285's. I am still running stock size.
Thanks!

Sidetrekked Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Possum Kingdom Lake, Texas
First Name
David and Dayna
Last Name
Coston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5NXU GMRS:WROE726
Service Branch
USMC
I wonder about this on my 2017 Tacoma. Some people say absolutely yes while others say oh no it won't work at all. Ugh so frustrating. Good luck.

Zach’s Yota

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler I

Rochester, MN
Member #

I have 285s on my 4th gen with 2-2.25” front lift. I’m running the falken wildpeak at3w. 33x11.5” tire. I have aftermarket rims, 17x8 -12 offset I believe. I do not rub the frame, I have about 1/2” to 1/4” till I rub the body mount when stuffed. I removed front mudflaps, did fender liner mod, and beat the back of front fenders in just a small amount (1”) or so till it lined up with body mount. No more rub at all.

Fender liner mod, and a heat gun will eliminate the rub from what I’ve discovered, so long as wheel offset is appropriate. And I guess I got lucky with it not rubbing the frame, as I’ve heard some people do rub the frame. I’ll post some pics.

JoshMTN4R

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Monroe, WA
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Martin
Member #

I'm about to have the same size put on my 5th gen with a 2.5" - 3.0" inch lift, the shop that's helping me recommended a body mount chop to fit the tires properly with my -10 offset wheels. I think a body mount chop is pretty common when fitting larger tires, hope this helps a little.