Anyone For Meatless Meals While Tripping?

• HTML tutorial

Ragman

Rank V
Investor

Pathfinder III

Geneva, IL, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gearhart
Member #

UPDATE-It just dawned on me that the entire recipe/ingredients are not visible when watching the video from inside the forum-I put the ingredients at the bottom.

I know there are a few vegetarians on the forums here and while I am not one of them it doesn't mean I don't like to mix it up from time to time. Recently a group posted a challenge to do a meatless cast iron meal so I decided to break out the Lodge dutch oven and whip something up. We landed on 3 Bean Sloppy Joes which take very little time to put together and can be made at camp very easily. I put the video up last week and thought I would share it with as I think it came out pretty dang tasty.

If you are interested you can find it here-I hope you enjoy it!

Recipe- 1/2 Chopped Green Pepper, 1/2 Chopped Medium Onion, 3 Cloves Chopped, Garlic 1 Can (15.5 oz) each drained Red Kidney, Small White and Pink Beans, 1 Can (15 oz) Tomato Sauce, 1/2 C Ketchup, 2 T Cider Vinegar, 2 T Chili Powder, 2 T Brown Sugar, 1 t Ground Cumin, 1/4 t Salt, 1/2 C Sliced Scallions, 1 t Hot Sauce of your choice, Shredded Cheddar Cheese. Serve with Bread and Butter Pickles

Last edited:

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
sounds really tasty...

was wondering if you ever used tomato powder in dishes? i've been using it for a while and i've done a similar bean dish where i already had a lot of juice from canned beans, so instead of using another liquid, tomato paste, i used the dried tomato powder which has a really good concentrated taste...like the tomato paste, but the powder will actually thicken the mixture. i make my own version of ranch style beans using canned pintos and using the tomato powder to make a thicker sauce.

with all the cooking you do, i bet you would like using this if you havent already...

Ragman

Rank V
Investor

Pathfinder III

Geneva, IL, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gearhart
Member #

sounds really tasty...

was wondering if you ever used tomato powder in dishes? i've been using it for a while and i've done a similar bean dish where i already had a lot of juice from canned beans, so instead of using another liquid, tomato paste, i used the dried tomato powder which has a really good concentrated taste...like the tomato paste, but the powder will actually thicken the mixture. i make my own version of ranch style beans using canned pintos and using the tomato powder to make a thicker sauce.

with all the cooking you do, i bet you would like using this if you havent already...

That is a great steer and I actually have tomato powder in the pantry but I have not used it yet. I have been thinking of ways to put it to use especially as I have been looking at ways to avoid a cooler/fridge when traveling in the Jeep.

Reactions: grubworm

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Will be trying it out this week.
Lots of benefits to not eat meat while tripping or any time toilets are crude or hard to find.
I used to run marathons and triathlons and the week before every run was all about diet and roughage.

Ragman

Rank V
Investor

Pathfinder III

Geneva, IL, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gearhart
Member #

A cousin of mine makes a vegan chili that I actually REALLY enjoy.

-TJ
I have been eating more vegetarian type dishes over time and I have been really surprised how a bit of creativity and spices can result in some spectacular dishes.

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

I have been eating more vegetarian type dishes over time and I have been really surprised how a bit of creativity and spices can result in some spectacular dishes.
Yeah, some are just terrible - generally ones that focus on trying to recreate meat textures or flavors, but others are great particularly when the actually complement and highlight the vegan ingredients.

-TJ

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
sounds really tasty...

I just use chili powder.

Reactions: grubworm

AusCorey

Rank III

Enthusiast I

South Australia, Australia
First Name
Corey
Last Name
Fisher
Member #

Have been vego for a year now and have found it really easy when camping!
Heaps of veg pastas and curries

No mean means heaps more room in the fridge for beers too ;)