Anyone ever mount anything UNDER their roof bars?

• Hi Guest, you may choose a LIGHT or DARK theme that works best for you with the "Style Chooser" button at the bottom left on this page!

JeffnMar

Rank I

Contributor II

Oregon
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

So I just installed a rooftop tent on our 2019 Subaru outback. I upgraded to Yakima bar’s and risers since the Suby stock bars Are not really meant to carry more than 150 pounds. As you can tell by the attached picture I have plenty of room underneath the roof top tent which is wasted space , so I was thinking of mounting something under the bars To help with storage... So couple of ideas I am thinking about is adding some Rotopacks for fuel/water ( weight might be a concern though ), Or some larger PVC pipe to hold fishing poles or gear. I have roughly 8 inches of clearance which makes it nice when taking the tent off and saving a bloody knuckle or two .

Any ideas are welcome and I’m curious if anybody else has taken this approach, seems backwards I know, but would like to utilize the space.

BTW... treeline tents are the BOMB , Better than CVT and TEPUI ( my humble opinion) ...

Viking1204

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
S
Member #

I'll be mounting my PVC pressurized water system on top of my Diamondback cover underneath the RTT Rack I custom built! I can also mount storage containers on top of the Diamondback cover and use the RTT Rack to tie them down and keep them from siding off, it's a very versatile system!

Question for you @JeffnMar, what makes Treeline better in your opinion?

RTT Rack Build 2.jpg

JeffnMar

Rank I

Contributor II

Oregon
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

Thanks for the replies thus far , some great ideas Injave not thought of , this group Rocks...

As for my take on the treeline series of RTT . First a little background , I must admit I had a bit of analysis paralysis when doing my research including visiting several showrooms and talking at length to each vendor. I live near Bend, Oregon so very familiar with CVT and Free-spirit tents. It’s not that I dislike Tepui, Free Spirit or CVT but the Treeline RTT had what I was looking for.

After researching and climbing in each of these tents I had my choices narrowed down to a few , non ruggedized ( 3 season ) tents

- Tepui Kukenam Sky
- CVT Mt Rainer
- Free Spirit High Country series
- Treeline Mesquite

All are great tents don’t get me wrong , but here are my deciding factors.

-Treeline has a honeycomb base , the others are layered . The treeline base can carry more weight and has a better insulating value , better build in my opinion .

- The treeline Rainfly has a clear PVC window so you have views out the skylight when the Rainfly is on , the only other tent that had this was the CVT ‘ stargazer’ series .

- the treeline has a ‘rounded design’ when deployed helping keep rain/ snow from accumulating on the tent . When inspecting the other tents and doing walk arounds in person the other tents had areas where their were ‘pinch points ‘ of square design where water or snow could puddle up.

- I went with the larger footprint of 72” by 96” , just wanted more room :) and the tree line had this abailable.

- the tents I mentioned above all come with a 2.5 or 3 inch mattress . The Treeline comes with a 2.5 inch mattress with a waterproof cover where the other do not.

- the rain fly when deployed ‘ surrounds ‘ the front and back doors , with windows. The other tents just cover the top of the front and back doors not the sides( with exception to the CVT). This is a nice touch.

- Cusotmer Service , this is a Canadian company out of Alberta , I found them very responsive to email , almost always replied same day with answers to my questions ( which at times was me getting into the weeds) :) , but they were AWESOME! Even shot some video for me and emailed back .

Price - price point for all these tents were pretty much in the ballpark , I did work with a vendor out of San Francisco that stoped carrying these tents ( not cost effective as these are made in Canada and shipping rates and tariffs made it cost prohibitive) he gave me a heck of a deal WITH free shipping .

For me the devil was in the details and thoughtful design. One can say that all these tents come out of the same factories in China , but from what understand Treeline spent time looking for a good manufacturing plant to adhere to their design and QC , and it shows .

Just my 2 cents and I am extremely happy with the tent , the RUNNER UP was the CVT Mt Rainer , similar build but would of compromised a bit with it .

Reactions: RoarinRow

Echelon

Rank V

Contributor III

Hoping to see the same, we have a tent that covers the whole roof and want to mount a solar panel somehow to our setup. Only space we have room is under the tent or hanging down the side of the car or above the hatch.

Stepsride

Rank VI

Enthusiast II

Palm Harbor FL
Member #

I mounted some C Channel to the bottom of the rack. I put some spongy Molding material to keep if from rattling. I used 2 pins to secure it from sliding out the back of the rack. You can access the table from the back of the vehicle. I got the C channel from Lowes. The table I had was a one piece plastic table. The one issue I had and I resolved quickly with drill was water would build up because I stored the table upside down. This was to keep the legs from slamming into my roof. I wish I can find some pics but I sold that vehicle last year. Sorry about that.

Last edited: