Anyone else a fan of electric vehicles??

• Hi Guest, you may choose a LIGHT or DARK theme that works best for you with the "Style Chooser" button at the bottom left on this page!

Cummins_Overland

Rank III

Advocate II

Fairfield, CA, USA
First Name
Bradley
Last Name
Davidson
Member #

For off road and overlanding not really although I am waiting for atlis motors to release their truck, would make for a better grocery getter and for hardware store runs than the mega cab. But more than likely the price will be ridiculous and I'll end up buying another diesel truck for half the cost.

Baipin

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Would I like a BEV overlander? Not yet. Rivian and Bollinger are nice, but for overlanding I feel comfortable when I've got a 700 mile range or so that I can refill in 10-15 minutes. The best solution is the one no manufacturer has yet developed: the series-hybrid approach. Electric motors power the wheels, but an ICE generates electricity to charge the batteries. The ICE can be located anywhere on or in the vehicle. It can even be towed. Diesel-electric locomotives do this all the time. And speaking of those trains, why not use a diesel turbine to serve as the ICE? Bladon makes a compact 12kW micro-turbine already. Scale it down to 8kW and you have an ICE generator with basically one moving part running on diesel efficiency.

Anyone want for a diesel turbine generator hybrid 4X4 with even 100 miles of pure battery powered range and however much range your diesel tank can carry? I certainly would be. The torque from 4 electric motors independently driving 4 wheels according to terrain and traction/slippage would be truly game changing. Not to mention going down a forested path quietly with no fumes.
This is a great idea for the same reason that you and others have mentioned: Daily-driveability. A lot of us daily our rigs (most, maybe? A lot, anyways...) If a diesel-turbine vehicle could run on only batter power for short distances, and you're just running around town; no need to worry about starting up the ICE and wasting diesel. You'd have enough juice to go the few miles to the grocery store and back. From an emissions standpoint, this is almost as good as a purely electric vehicle (assuming that electricity is generated from renewables). I'm sure for a lot of people, the times they go long distances (i.e. overlanding) are a fraction of the times they need to commute or drive less than 100 miles.

Of course, there's the added benefit of, if you wear your batteries down for whatever reason, you've still got gas in the tank - another fuel source - to keep on with your journey. Vice versa if you happen to run out of diesel.

Presumably, no one has considered this because electric vehicles are often seen as a replacement for ICE in the dense urban areas that have/will be banning them, and electric trucks haven't garnered as much focus as other types of electric vehicles (e.g. grocery-getters). Whatever the case, I wonder where this will all head in the future. There have been very recent advancements in aluminum-air batteries. While they're non-rechargeable type one cells, they do have greater energy density than even lithium cells, and are much safer. The recent breakthroughs - as I recall - make mass production more environmentally and logistically feasible (less pure aluminum grades can be used).

Dilldog

Rank V

Pathfinder I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
W
Member #

Realistically I think my ideal would be diesel electric drive. I think it would be easy to mate a generator to say a 500cc diesel. Then do 4 traction motors and use capacitors rather than batteries for quick bursts of added power and to store up power from braking effort. A set up that size would probably be good for most of us, but might need to be scaled up for say a 3/4 or 1 ton pickup, and could probably scaled down for a family sedan.
In trains it takes 1 gallon of diesel to move 1 million pounds 1 mile, thats quite efficient. While I dont think we would see quite that much efficiency in a scaled down system it would be way up there. Also engineering an engine to and allowing it to run at a constant RPM makes the after treatment system work very well, and takes away most of the issues that makes me not a fan of diesel power in my garage.

Reactions: Baipin

BCMoto

Rank 0

Contributor II

SF
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Agloro
Member #

Electric vehicles that are small for around town but im not a fan, why don't they add a charging system to the car? Like a solar panel or something. Im just not a fan because your have to make your trips by charging station. I like being able to carry extra fuel where I go.

Baipin

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

I don't think solar would be efficient enough to charge batteries adequately. I remember reading that if a Tesla sedan were covered with solar panels, it'd only get 6 miles worth of charge on an average day. Now, if that's a camper van, and you're only moving locations every few weeks, then it could actually work. There are also some very small three-wheelers (basically motorcycle size, but with a cabin) that can charge from solar.

For added range, I wonder what you could accomplish with wind generators? People are able to run 2000W RV air conditioners off of them... Might be interesting.