Launch Member

Traveler II

Carlsbad, CA, USA
First Name
user
Last Name
name
Member #

I am considering building a 100AH 18650 battery pack for my rig. Currently I have 400w solar (Just finished building), 30A MPPT controller with li support + custom settings 2 x 100amp deep cycle I would like to reclaim some space and weight hopefully also allowing for deeper drain cycle without damage to batteries.

Currently I am thinking ~80 - 100 (depending on capacities) 2000 - 2500 mAH 20A 3.7v cells Higher CR rates just seem too expensive. Anyone have more experience with building such a pack?

Reactions: Road

bmwguru

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Indianapolis, IN, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Pickrell
Member #

I am considering building a 100AH 18650 battery pack for my rig. Currently I have 400w solar (Just finished building), 30A MPPT controller with li support + custom settings 2 x 100amp deep cycle I would like to reclaim some space and weight hopefully also allowing for deeper drain cycle without damage to batteries.

Currently I am thinking ~80 - 100 (depending on capacities) 2000 - 2500 mAH 20A 3.7v cells Higher CR rates just seem too expensive. Anyone have more experience with building such a pack?
I've been thinking about that myself. I have a Renogy 100w solar suitcase and 2 105ah agm batteries and would like a smaller and lighter battery. I am waiting on LiFe batteries to get more reasonably priced. I picked up a great book on Amazon Also look at these.
You can build an 18650 battery bank in just about any shape or size you want and zero soldering. Really cool! VRUZEND battery kit V2.0 – VRUZEND DIY Battery Kit Also look at these youtube channels. This guy is mainly into electric bikes but he knows batteries very well. EbikeSchool.com Then theres this guy who is a wealth of solar and battery knowledge. DIY Solar Power with Will Prowse

Reactions: 1derer

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Check out this guy. He seems to know a lot about Li batteries. DIY Solar Power with Will Prowse
I was looking for another one just like that. There's a few guys out there who have built a number of power cells. The one that came to my mind was buying surplus batteries, testing and building large banks. The guy i'm thinking of built an electric VW bus. The problem is, when he did this, the surplus market price went up because everyone wanted to build their own batteries for a fraction of the cost.
To answer your question, yes a bunch of people have done it, it seems to work and there's loads of info out there.