First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Hi overlanders,

My camp chair is getting old and here and there seams dissolve and so on. So I am looking for something new before it breaks down in the middle of nowhere.

Currently I have a very cheap one. The funny thing is that I bought it from the supermarket years ago for ten bugs or so and it lastet surpringsingly long.

However, I do not really like the chairs where I sit more in a sofa, I like to be able to sit proper at the table. An upright sitting position would be great and back friendly. Solid. On the other hand small package and reasonable low weight would be great.

So, anything you could recommend?

Thanks,
Bjoern

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
I'm a huge fan of my Frontrunner Expander chair. It's a bit pricey but it folds down to a 1/16th of it's open size making it a great option when you already have a bunch of other stuff to pack for your trip.
Hi Brett,
Thanks. I was looking at that one and it seems to be quite solid and with a good seating position. Have heard some people who had broken parts at these chairs. What is your experience with that?
Thanks,
Bjoern

Reactions: Flying pig

Brett L.

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Long Beach, CA, USA
First Name
Brett
Last Name
LaForest
Member #

Hi Brett,
Thanks. I was looking at that one and it seems to be quite solid and with a good seating position. Have heard some people who had broken parts at these chairs. What is your experience with that?
Thanks,
Bjoern
I haven't used it for very long to be honest so I can't speak to its longevity. It seems well built but only time will tell.

Reactions: El-Dracho

Iceman.Actual

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Cape Coral, FL, USA
First Name
Payton
Last Name
DeMay
Member #

Obvious forenote that this isn’t a true upright chair, the REI Kingdom Rocker has been a dream since I bought it. Durability is amazing and I have been able to rock myself to sleep in it quick a few times.
Downside is the foldable size and even with the sale price right now of $69 it’s a little pricey.

Attachments

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Obvious forenote that this isn’t a true upright chair, the REI Kingdom Rocker has been a dream since I bought it. Durability is amazing and I have been able to rock myself to sleep in it quick a few times.
Downside is the foldable size and even with the sale price right now of $69 it’s a little pricey.
Thank you. That one looks also interesting. I have a foldable table from REI since some years, was not the cheapest but good quality.

Reactions: Iceman.Actual

OutdoorsBen

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Western Massachusetts
Member #

I just replaced my Helinox style camp chair from Amazon (due to quality) with the Front Runner chair. Both packed down small but the Front Runner is constructed better. The butt part is very firm but it's not bad so far. I've only had it for three or four days so no long term "review" yet.

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
I just replaced my Helinox style camp chair from Amazon (due to quality) with the Front Runner chair. Both packed down small but the Front Runner is constructed better. The butt part is very firm but it's not bad so far. I've only had it for three or four days so no long term "review" yet.
Thanks! Yes, I think I will go for the Frontrunner Expander chair. Unfortunately, many shops here do not have it in stock at the moment.

Craig M

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Haslet, Texas, USA
First Name
Craig
Last Name
M
Member #

Hi overlanders,

My camp chair is getting old and here and there seams dissolve and so on. So I am looking for something new before it breaks down in the middle of nowhere.

Currently I have a very cheap one. The funny thing is that I bought it from the supermarket years ago for ten bugs or so and it lastet surpringsingly long.

However, I do not really like the chairs where I sit more in a sofa, I like to be able to sit proper at the table. An upright sitting position would be great and back friendly. Solid. On the other hand small package and reasonable low weight would be great.

So, anything you could recommend?

Thanks,
Bjoern
We were using director style chairs we got at Costco, as they provided that upright seating position. We have since moved to a Rocker style that still doesn't cut off circulation to your legs, but you can sit upright or recline / rock. After having my rocker for almost a year, my wife ended up getting one too. The main disadvantage of the rockers is that they're pretty long when folded up. Everyone who has tried the rockers love them..

IMG_20190413_181602.jpgIMG_20190706_182319.jpg

trikebubble

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Penticton, BC
Member #

I love our Frotnrunner chairs. We spent 10+ years going thru multiple different camp chairs, and settled on these about 4 years ago. Since then they've been everywhere with us, been beaten around a ton, and still perform perfectly. They are not the lightest chair out there, but they compress up very compact and I find them very comfortable. If they walked away today, I'd order new ones tomorrow.

20200719_153205[1].jpg

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Thanks for the good advice! It's great how much good information comes together here!

This is a part of why I like the OB community!

Gone_xtrkn

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Houston, TX, USA
First Name
Brendon
Last Name
P
Member #

We use the REI flexlite macros. I think now they call it “Camp Boss.” Kind of a low bucket seat style but we find them comfortable and they pack down pretty tiny.