Any overlanding access challenges during the shutdown?

• HTML tutorial

Biker Eagle

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Chelsea, AL, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Culbertson
Member #

Service Branch
Former NOPD LEO
For instance, are the trails/roads open on BLM land, National Monuments, National recreation areas? Only federal land near me is the Talladega NF and the trails were open this past weekend, both foot and vehicular.

Have any of you guys had to alter your overlanding travel plans so far? Impact is hard to judge given the hysteria in the mainstream media.

James Deaton

Rank V

Pathfinder I

I google searched this the other day and read that Zion Nat’l Park has low attendence, and therefore is like having the park to yourself. They said it was clean because volunteers are helping keep it clean.

James

Reactions: Desert Runner

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

From the NPS website for Big Bend National Park: The park is still open but no camping and some trail closures.

• Campgrounds Update 12/26/18
    • Chisos Basin, Rio Grande Village, and Cottonwood Campgrounds are now closed due to sanitation and resource impact concerns.
    • There is NO OVERNIGHT CAMPING in Big Bend National Park at this time.
    • The Rio Grande Village RV hookups camping area, operated by Forever Resorts will remain open.
  • Additional closures update 12/29/18
    • The Santa Elena Canyon Trailhead and Trail has been closed due to resource impact concerns.
    • The Park Road between Castolon and Santa Elena Canyon has been closed due to resource impact concerns.
    • Old Maverick Road is closed until further notice due to resource impacts occurring in and around Santa Elena Canyon trailhead closure.
    • Visitors should be prepared for additional closures without warning.

From the NPS website for my local Chickasaw National Rec Area: While not an overland destination it's still a place my family and I like to camp, luckily we typically don't go this time of year.

Government Shutdown
During the shutdown, Chickasaw National Recreation Area will not provide any visitor services. All campgrounds, restrooms, and contact stations, including the Travertine Nature Center, will be closed. In case of emergency, visitors should call 911.

SomeGuyNamedPaul

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Little Rock, AR, USA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Hurn
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF5DFZ
I must admit the idea of US government shutting down Mother Nature is amusing to me. She was here for a long time before an adolescent USA started fussing about.
Of course I completely understand what’s really happening. The organizations maintaining parks camping areas and other man made nature spots are unable to pay staff.

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
Unlike previous administrations, President Trump’s Interior Department has directed national parks to keep their gates open while furloughing most workers during this latest government shutdown.
We had a camping trip messed up by 2013, but no impact thus far with this shutdown.