SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6YB
Anyone else a VE with any of their clubs? I've been pretty out of the loop for in-person ham stuff for a while now.... but I've been hearing ideas kicked around in some jeep and offroad focused groups about doing some 4x4 specific club stuff and maybe even helping out with doing some test administration if enough VE's could be scrounged up.

I haven't looked into it from a paperwork side so I have no idea how well it could work, if at all. Then again I haven't looked into becoming a VE all that much other than a passing thought here and there... Maybe its time to do it? Kinda curious if anyone else has experience with it.. then again I did my extra like 6 years or something so who knows how much I remember of all the other tests before...

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Anyone else a VE with any of their clubs? I've been pretty out of the loop for in-person ham stuff for a while now.... but I've been hearing ideas kicked around in some jeep and offroad focused groups about doing some 4x4 specific club stuff and maybe even helping out with doing some test administration if enough VE's could be scrounged up.

I haven't looked into it from a paperwork side so I have no idea how well it could work, if at all. Then again I haven't looked into becoming a VE all that much other than a passing thought here and there... Maybe its time to do it? Kinda curious if anyone else has experience with it.. then again I did my extra like 6 years or something so who knows how much I remember of all the other tests before...
I’m becoming a VE as soon as I take the time to take the open book test and submit the paperwork. Get in touch with @brien for more information about the Official Overland Bound Ham Club that is in the works. Also your idea is exactly what we are trying to put together here in the Northwest.

rho

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6YB
I’m becoming a VE as soon as I take the time to take the open book test and submit the paperwork. Get in touch with @brien for more information about the Official Overland Bound Ham Club that is in the works. Also your idea is exactly what we are trying to put together here in the Northwest.
That's fantastic! it's awesome to hear that org is sort of taking shape. Most of the clubs around the SF Bay are tech focused so it's really cool to hear of a more outside focused group!!

I think your prob a step ahead on the VE front, I haven't even gotten to that level of research yet.

Reactions: M Rose

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
That's fantastic! it's awesome to hear that org is sort of taking shape. Most of the clubs around the SF Bay are tech focused so it's really cool to hear of a more outside focused group!!

I think your prob a step ahead on the VE front, I haven't even gotten to that level of research yet.
Here is everything you need to know about becoming a VE

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I’m taking the quiz in the morning and sending in all my credentials to the ARRL immediately fallowing. I just re-read the VE manual for the 4th time in a row.

I’m looking for VEs and Amature Radio Operators wanting time be VEs in the northwest to start administering tests remotely through the Northwest. I need to put together a team of at least 4 VEs, but the more the better.

Reactions: Ubiety and rho

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
Here is everything you need to know about becoming a VE
Thanks for the link. I haven’t thought about going after VE credentials in a while.

Reactions: M Rose and rho

rho

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6YB
Thanks for the link @M Rose , I'll toss that on my to-do list for the weekend.

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

@M Rose are the ARRL VEs submitting applications electronically now or still mailing them in?
Do the ARRL VEs do remote testing?

Reactions: rho

J.W.

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Cincinnati
First Name
J
Last Name
W
Member #

I am a VE with ARRL. There are some ARRL affiliated clubs doing remote testing such as NEAR but other VECs such as GLAARG are doing remote testing as well. The best thing is to find out which VEC can accommodate your club and get in contact with them directly to find out how to organize the exams.

The majority of the online tests right now are facilitated using Hamstudy.org and Zoom. I would suggest getting on the Hamstudy Discord Server where there is a wealth of info about the logistics of remote testing.

Reactions: Sparksalot and rho

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
@M Rose are the ARRL VEs submitting applications electronically now or still mailing them in?
Do the ARRL VEs do remote testing?
Yes it’s electronic now. And yes they do remote testing now. But...In order to set up a remote team the VEC has to have conducted 4 testing sessions and have 4 more testing sessions scheduled to receive bulk materials.

When I say remote testing I am meaning Remote locations, not online. The ARRL rules for administering a test via the internet is very intimidating.

Reactions: Sparksalot and rho

rho

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6YB
I am a VE with ARRL. There are some ARRL affiliated clubs doing remote testing such as NEAR but other VECs such as GLAARG are doing remote testing as well. The best thing is to find out which VEC can accommodate your club and get in contact with them directly to find out how to organize the exams.

The majority of the online tests right now are facilitated using Hamstudy.org and Zoom. I would suggest getting on the Hamstudy Discord Server where there is a wealth of info about the logistics of remote testing.
I'll have to check that discord out later, I've been trying to motivate my partner to get her license for a while and looking at the online tests was, uh, interesting to see what they were doing logistics wise.

J.W.

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Cincinnati
First Name
J
Last Name
W
Member #

I'll have to check that discord out later, I've been trying to motivate my partner to get her license for a while and looking at the online tests was, uh, interesting to see what they were doing logistics wise.
No worries. There have been some innovative solutions and it's been fun seeing some renewed interest in the hobby. Check out Ham Radio Crash Course with Josh Nass too. He's out there in LA and has a Youtube/discord with great info for getting your licesne. Might motivate your partner to get going on it. HRCC is just a bunch of people trying to figure out fun things to do with Ham so if you like geeking out on stuff, it's a good place share ideas.

• Love
Reactions: M Rose

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
...cool to hear of a more outside focused group!!...
Ill just throw out SOTA as a way to get the more outdoorsy people motivated to get licensed and active. I think promoting that program will help show people there's essentially an ongoing contest that combines elements of overlanding, hiking, mountaineering, and ham operations.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
No worries. There have been some innovative solutions and it's been fun seeing some renewed interest in the hobby. Check out Ham Radio Crash Course with Josh Nass too. He's out there in LA and has a Youtube/discord with great info for getting your licesne. Might motivate your partner to get going on it. HRCC is just a bunch of people trying to figure out fun things to do with Ham so if you like geeking out on stuff, it's a good place share ideas.
I’ve learned a lot from HRC. I watch them almost daily.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Ill just throw out SOTA as a way to get the more outdoorsy people motivated to get licensed and active. I think promoting that program will help show people there's essentially an ongoing contest that combines elements of overlanding, hiking, mountaineering, and ham operations.
I’m going to send you a DM Dillon.

I agree, SOTA is a great opportunity to get out and explore, social distance, and have a great time.

There is so much that the Ham Radio Hobby has to offer. And 90% of it all fits into Overlanding.

ARES/RACES, SkyWarn, MARS, SARS are just a few examples of organized ham radio operators who have to be ready to move on a moments notice and be able to communicate over great distances... I am personally ready to move out at any given moment in under an hour and be completely self sustained for up to a month.

Back on topic.

I have been talking with a couple of other VEs (non OB Members) through the Inland Northwest, and I have their support to put on tests in their communities for small OB only groups.

rho

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6YB
SOTA is great, I've sort of been aware/watching/part of it for a while, but I haven't been super active with it because dragging a radio up hills can be a bit of a pain if I'm mountain biking or running. I haven't found it to be super active with A back burner thing for me has been to get an HF QRP digital set up going, but who knows when or if I'll get around to it.

Reactions: M Rose and Dilldog

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
SOTA is great, I've sort of been aware/watching/part of it for a while, but I haven't been super active with it because dragging a radio up hills can be a bit of a pain if I'm mountain biking or running. I haven't found it to be super active with A back burner thing for me has been to get an HF QRP digital set up going, but who knows when or if I'll get around to it.
I'm going to do a little write up and introduction to SOTA so we don't completely derail your thread here. I'll post it tonight, but short version I'm having success with a 2meter HT.

rho

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6YB
I'm going to do a little write up and introduction to SOTA so we don't completely derail your thread here. I'll post it tonight, but short version I'm having success with a 2meter HT.
I'll look for it when you get it up!

Reactions: M Rose and Dilldog