Any lawyers? Can a dealership do this to me?

• Hi Guest, you may choose a LIGHT or DARK theme that works best for you with the "Style Chooser" button at the bottom left on this page!

Dave K

Rank IV

Traveler III

Hayward California, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
K
Ham Callsign
KK6PXJ
If you want the truck more than a fair deal then grab your ankles a receive your....truck.

Sounds like you have the perfect storm of bad decisions brewing. Blank check, no contract, etc., etc. If it were me I would:

Talk with the lender, have them cancel the order. No delivery no deal.

Talk with the second dealer you spoke with after the deal is canceled and be straight up. Tell them exactly what you ordered. They can probably take delivery of that same truck from the factory and cut you a fair deal. Ordering a vehicle will always net you the worst deal you can get as they have a sure sale (typically). Once it hits the lot it is costing them money and they will let it go cheaper as time goes on. The first dealer may just be glad to dodge that bullet once your deal falls through.

Worst case, re order the truck from a respectable, honest dealer (I am not sure this place really exists. Good luck finding them).

I’m no lawyer but it doesn’t take one to see your getting screwed. If your want for the object outweighs your desire for a deal you are on track and there is nothing extra to really do. But, after reading through the above replies I have a feeling you may never truly enjoy your prize with some of these thoughts in your head. Then again, it’s your money so it doesn’t really matter what anyone here thinks.

Good luck.

Reactions: Old Tanker

tbuck12

Rank IV

Advocate III

Chula Vista, CA, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Buckley
Member #

A few more thoughts.... I've been in a position where I have had all the paper work signed and down payment made... But had not taken possession...had to back out ...dealer gave my down payment back and the deal was cancelled. I have also been in a deal where I did all the paper work and trade in, and drove home with the vehicle...1 week later the dealer calls and says they need more money ..cash.. for bigger down payment...I said BS...drove down to the dealer told the gm to f-off and give me my trade in back and cancel the deal....done. Point is dont let them intimidate you..don't let them take advantage. Your only issue is you...in that you really want the truck....it's a bummer but the deal just smells bad, even through the screen of my phone. Hope it works out.

Last edited:

MOAK

Rank V

Advocate II

Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

This entire scenario, though unbelievable and I’m having a difficult time wrapping my head around it, is one of the multiple reasons I will never again purchase any vehicles manufactured, marketed and sold by any one of the old “ big three”. Back in the fall of 2008 we put a 500 dollar deposit on a new VW Jetta.. the crash happened and I feared I may be laid off. We went to the dealership and he refunded my 500 deposit.

I cannot conceive your scenario. You gave them a blank check. They filled in the blanks. They are saying that upon delivery you owe them 14k more. You haven’t stated if the 14k more is the correct price. If it is the correct price then what’s the problem? Other than the fact that the dealership took advantage of someone that, unfortunately, is extraordinarily naive. The actions of the dealership may be immoral, but not illegal .

grubworm

Rank V

Pathfinder I

Thibodaux, LA, USA
First Name
mike
Last Name
c
Member #

I cannot conceive your scenario. You gave them a blank check. They filled in the blanks. They are saying that upon delivery you owe them 14k more. You haven’t stated if the 14k more is the correct price
maxresdefault (1).jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: MOAK

Alpha Out Front

Rank III

Influencer II

Arizona, USA
First Name
Raymond
Last Name
Armenta
Ok, so it has been a while but I finally have an UPDATE. Hopefully this can help someone in the future.

I have not been able to get a hold of anyone at the dealer that could help me. I called every day for five days straight and no response, so I got my lawyer involved. He said that we had what we needed to enter into a lawsuit with the dealer for truck at the price the check was cashed for, but it would take some time, I told him that I would be moving to another state soon and I don't have time. He advised that we jut cancel the deal and get all of my money back. My lawyer sent them a letter last week and last night i got an email from the dealer stating that they have begun the process of canceling the deal an that my deposit would be refunded, no mention of refunding my payments made, my lawyer said he will contact them about it. I have found another truck that is almost the same as the one i ordered and I have the deal lined up, I am just waiting on the cancellation of my order so I can move forward on the deal.

Pretzel

Rank 0

Contributor I

Greenville, NC
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Doetzl
Tough lesson to learn, but if I can offer one more pebble to this pile it's this:

Be very cautious making large financial decisions under the constraints of a self-inflicted timeline.

I'm glad it sounds like you're getting it worked out, and for a similar truck to your original order, that's great!

Reactions: Old Tanker

Scoutrover13

Rank 0

Contributor II

Thomasville, NC, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Parker
I'm glad to here its going to work out as well. Though I've never bought a car on post when I was in I do know a lot of those places on post or right off post were notorious for taking advantage of younger enlistees and charging outrageous interest rates. They were just excited about getting the new shiny whatever it was. This may be different now as this was in the early 2000's, but like my mom use to say experience/knowledge/learning is never free. It will cost you is some form or another.

Alpha Out Front

Rank III

Influencer II

Arizona, USA
First Name
Raymond
Last Name
Armenta
I forgot to post an update. But for anyone that wanted to know. My lawyer was able to fight with the dealer and get me all money back. I ended up finding a 2018 that I just loved at a super great price, so i bought it last week and took it wheeling in Sedona AZ this past weekend. I may start a build thread as I have a ton of parts for the truck that I will be putting on this week.

Old Griz

Rank V

Enthusiast I

North Idaho
Member #

OK, so here is the deal. I ordered a 2019 Ram 2500 in May. I secured my financing for the truck before entering the dealership. I walked in with my blank check and ordered my truck. At this point we did not know what the final price of the truck would be as the ram had just been released for sale that week, but I had a expectation of the price. The dealer emailed me some weeks later with the final price of the truck and it was far less than what I had expected. Fast forward to last week, they emailed me and said that I still owed 14K on the truck and it would need to be paid before I took delivery in Oct. I asked why I owe money because the dealer cashed the check for WELL below its full value of the check and the check would have covered all the cost. They came up with some lies which I had the emails to prove them wrong. Then and about a week later they said that some one had made a mistake and some how cashed the check for the wrong amount. I told them I would not pay the 14k and if they made the mistake they should pay for it. That was last week and I have not yet heard back from them.

I ordered the truck back in May, its now Aug and I have already started making payments on the truck. Does anyone know if they can in any way keep the truck from me?

This is the first vehicle I have ordered from the factory and the dealer told me that I had to pay for it, turns out you don't have to pay until the truck is delivered, I guess lesson learned.
This is one of those deals that would be good for the local TV news to cover. They LOVE to stick cameras and microphones in the face of crooked car dealers

Ripley1046

Rank V

Pathfinder I

Manitowoc, WI
Member #

Another good rule of thumb - never EVER buy anything from a stealership. They're pretty much all thieving rat bastards.
While I totally understand how people have this opinion, there are some dealerships that are decent. They are the minority for sure, but I work for one, so I know they exist. I have nothing to gain from stating this here, and won't even mention who it is or what brand I sell for. I can say with absolute sincerity that I would not work for a dealership that pulled shady deals, or tried to push people into the wrong car/payment/situation. The place I work for has been family owned (same family, though 2 different brands and a few locations) since 1913. We do everything possible to make sure people are buying vehicles that make sense for them, and their budget. I've seen how often we will lose money on a deal for a loyal customer. I've seen how far we will go to fix a problem that pops up after a sale, even if there is no warranty, or legal obligation to do so. Case in point, a friend of mine just bought a 205k mile $6000 car from us, a week later a transmission issue popped up that could not have been diagnosed before it happened, and we are paying another dealer over $2000 to get it fixed for her. There was no question about it. Even knowing that we only made about $200 on the car we sold before factoring in this repair that popped up, there was zero hesitation to make it right. So while I agree that a lot of dealers are sketchy, please don't condemn every dealership. Good ones really do exist.

As for the situation in the OP, I'm glad it worked out for you and everything was resolved. This kind of stuff does happen in this business, and it sucks. At my dealership, aside from an occasional down payment deposit (very rare here) we never take payment in any form until the vehicle is on site and delivered to the customer. At least in my state, any and all paperwork can be done in person or remotely to ensure everyone leaves happy. I can't speak to the laws in other places, but this kind of thing essentially couldn't happen the way we structure our order out deals.

Live and learn I guess. Hopefully this situation helps some others not make the same mistake.

bmwguru

Rank V

Influencer I

Indianapolis, IN, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Pickrell
Member #

While I totally understand how people have this opinion, there are some dealerships that are decent. They are the minority for sure, but I work for one, so I know they exist. I have nothing to gain from stating this here, and won't even mention who it is or what brand I sell for. I can say with absolute sincerity that I would not work for a dealership that pulled shady deals, or tried to push people into the wrong car/payment/situation. The place I work for has been family owned (same family, though 2 different brands and a few locations) since 1913. We do everything possible to make sure people are buying vehicles that make sense for them, and their budget. I've seen how often we will lose money on a deal for a loyal customer. I've seen how far we will go to fix a problem that pops up after a sale, even if there is no warranty, or legal obligation to do so. Case in point, a friend of mine just bought a 205k mile $6000 car from us, a week later a transmission issue popped up that could not have been diagnosed before it happened, and we are paying another dealer over $2000 to get it fixed for her. There was no question about it. Even knowing that we only made about $200 on the car we sold before factoring in this repair that popped up, there was zero hesitation to make it right. So while I agree that a lot of dealers are sketchy, please don't condemn every dealership. Good ones really do exist.

As for the situation in the OP, I'm glad it worked out for you and everything was resolved. This kind of stuff does happen in this business, and it sucks. At my dealership, aside from an occasional down payment deposit (very rare here) we never take payment in any form until the vehicle is on site and delivered to the customer. At least in my state, any and all paperwork can be done in person or remotely to ensure everyone leaves happy. I can't speak to the laws in other places, but this kind of thing essentially couldn't happen the way we structure our order out deals.

Live and learn I guess. Hopefully this situation helps some others not make the same mistake.
I completely agree and work at an honest dealership myself.

Reactions: Ripley1046