Any interest in an Edmonton area meet up?

• HTML tutorial

DaveT

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Member #

Putting feelers out to see how many folks would be interested in a meet up in late August near Edmonton?

I'm still pretty new around here but I'd love to plan a bit of a gathering. Seems like we aren't as dense here in Alberta as in other places so any excuse to round us up doesn't seem like such a bad idea.

I was thinking something more social than technical. Easy to go but more involved than a day trip...maybe a few nights at the Elk Island National Park group camping area. Rates are cheap (less than $5 per person per night), it's close to Edmonton, the group area can hold quite a few people and there's lots to do in the area for any interest, age, or skill level including lots of wildlife, scenery, and canoe rentals at the lake. Plus I figure most of us already have a parks pass...and it's not expensive if you don't. There are even some off road trails north of the park which, I've heard, aren't terribly technical.

Anyhow, chime in if you think this is something you'd like to attend...even if you think you want to come from a lot further away than Alberta. If there's enough interest, I can start making it official. Capacity is 60 people and the minimum to rent the space is 10 people so I can't see why we can't make something happen even if that's only a month away from now.

Last edited:

DaveT

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Member #

I have more information about a group camp in Elk Island park. Hopefully some of this sounds attractive to some of you.

Cost of camping is $5.80 per person per night. The fire permit is $8.80 per night.

If you're not familiar, there are 24 full sites and capacity is 60 people. Firewood is provided, there are toilets, water, a lake, lots to do, and it's very close to Edmonton. Here's a link to the national park website in case you're curious to learn more: https://www.pc.gc.ca/en/pn-np/ab/elkisland

Right now the only good dates in August which are available are the 27th through 30th. All the weekends are booked up unfortunately. 10 is the minimum to book the space so let me know if anybody would want to come and I can make the arrangements.

DaveT

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Member #

Well it might look like nobody is interested. It's also possible that nobody has seen this post. I'm going to take a leap of faith and set up a Rally Point anyhow to help push the message out so stay tuned for that.