Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Riverside , CA, USA
First Name
Franky
Last Name
Cornejo
Wondering if anyone knew of some good trails off Hwy 395 in Ca.
I'm doing the first night in “Alabama Hills” but I have two more nights.

Any suggesting will help

Flying pig

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Florence, OR, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
sprueill
Member #

Great area, unfortunatly I havnt explored there since I was a kid. On the east side there was a road, south of Lone Pine I believe. Took you to the top of the "white mountains" and followed a cable system to the mine at the top. They mined it and shipped it down the mountain by cable. Put it on a steam ferry across a now dry lake, loaded the wagons and south to LA. "Trail recon" on both you tube and online had a great trail just north on your spot that goes to Funnel lake also. He has gps to help. Good luck and enjoy.

P.s. dont forget to go to "schotts bakery". Best bread you have ever had

Reactions: Boort

KrelleKryl

Rank III

Advocate I

San Diego, CA
First Name
Kristian
Last Name
Andersen
Tons of trails in that area, but many (most) will be closed because of snow. Check out Buttermilks near Bishop and also drive up to Ancient Bristlecone - lots of trails up there that will likely be snow-free (take pretty much any dirt road - all on the MVUM...).

Enjoy - epic area!

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
How far off the 395? Past Kramer junction, turn right at Red Mountain and head over to the Pinnacles. On the way there is an off road area (cant remember the name) Panamint Valley is a short distance from Pinnacles. Back on 395 heading north, your going to be skirting Death Valley. Getting into Lone Pine you have Alabama Hills to the left and Death valley to the right. If you like old school music the "Joshua Tree" album by U2, the tree itself is 20 odd minuets toward the east from lone pine. As mentioned different things though Bishop. Continue up to Mono Lake. On the back side is the remains of the Mono Lake rail road that went from there to Bodi as well as the Tufa (spelling?). North side of Mono, north shore, are the Fissures. Kind of a cool hike. There may or may not still be the town they made for one of the old Eastwood westerns there (Pale rider?) right on the waters edge. Back on 395 to Bodi ghost town. Trivia... almost all the bad guys from the show Bonanza came out of Bodi. Then the town of bridge port. Bakery in town, get the Haystacks....yum.

I know there's more but that's what came to mind while i'm screwing off at work right now.

Forgot to add, not alot of "off-roading" along 395 until you get close to Tahoe. Mostly dirt access tourist stuff and cool history

Last edited: