Any experience with "Torque Pro App"? | OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY

Any experience with "Torque Pro App"?

Discussion in 'General Overland Discussion' started by Pindal, Dec 6, 2018.

Hi Guest, Become a Member to gain access to the Member Forums, Member Map, Member Calendar of Events, and Rally Point overland trip planner! Click this link "Learn More" for more information!
  1. Pindal

Pindal Rank III

Member #:

Map
    Dear Friends
    I have seen this video and it seemed to me that "Torque Pro App" is an excellent overlanding tool, does anyone else have experience with this App? Does anyone know an option close to this, but for iOS?
    The excellent video of Kevin (Lifestyle Overland)

KD7WCD likes this.
  2. VCeXpedition

VCeXpedition Rank IV

Member #:

Map
    It depends on what type of information you want on a consistent basis, and why.

The Torque App has to use some kind of display (tablet or phone) which takes up real estate in the car, somewhere.

If you want to know key / critical engine information such as RPM, Engine Coolant Temp (ECT), Intake Air Temp, or other signals that are on the Computer bus, you have two options that I know of.
    - Scan Gage
    - Ultra Gage

Both are small, plug directly (hardwired, not bluetooth) into the Diagnostic Port, have been around a while (reliable) and are basically trouble-free.
    Number of signals are fewer, number to display is less, but in my experience more reliable and a no-brainer to get once the unit is installed.

Check your options and decide what you want to know, how often and why.

G'luck, Dan.

3. TerryD

TerryD Rank IV

Member #:

Ham Callsign:
    KT4OZ
    Map
    I use Torque as a tool, not really to constantly monitor anything. It's been handy diagnosing catalytic converter issues with my X as well as other issues with my vehicles.

It's not "real time" so some intermittent issues are harder to spot.

I have a buddy running it as his sole way to monitor the engine in his LS swapped 68 Chevy. He built a sweet mount for the tablet on the steering column.

I think it's worth it. A OBD2/CANBUS scanner is around $40 for a cheap one without sensor monitoring. The app is $5 and the dongle was $10 from Amazon when I got mine. I think that's a pretty good deal.

KD7WCD and Pindal like this.
  4. The other Sean

The other Sean Rank IV

Member #:

Map
    I run it semi regularly in my DD beater car and occasionally in my truck. For the cost, it works great. I do like being able to pick and move what gauges are on the screen. I like having instant MPG and coolant temp front and center on my daily commute.
    It is also helpful to be able to scan and clear a CEL (main reason I have it in the beater, it trips an evap code semi regularly, I just scan, clear it). Nothing worse than being in the middle of nowhere, getting a CEL and having no idea what it is about.

As far as taking up real estate on the dash, most of us have a holder for their cell phone on the dash already.

5. Jimmy P

Jimmy P Rank IV

Member #:

Ham Callsign:
    KG5JLP
    Map
    I didn't know anything about it until I bought a diesel pickup, and then after a steep learning curve I found out that there are a lot of things you can monitor that can highlight potential issues before they become "more" expensive or lead to catastrophic failure. When I found that most of the crucial things could be monitored with torque pro, I was sold. The dongle I got was $20 and $5 for the app and I monitor using my phone. I've also taken it out and used it to troubleshoot my wife's car a time or two, so it's more than paid for itself. As mentioned, I already have my phone on my dash so it doesn't take any extra real estate and I have my gauges setup so my map app can reside in a lower corner. I guess you could say I'm a huge supporter :smile:

The other Sean and Pindal like this.
  6. Chris Jones

Chris Jones Ambassador - US East Region
    Staff Member Moderator Member

Member #:

Map
    I use it to monitor my trans fluid temps.
    I will say this, some people have experienced issues when an OBDII dongle has been plugged in while operating their vehicle. I have had a few mechanics say they don't recommend leaving anything plugged into the OBDII port. But it seems to work ok for me.

7. Pindal

Pindal Rank III

Member #:

Map
    Thank you very much for your interesting comment.

The other Sean likes this.
  8. Pindal

Pindal Rank III

Member #:

Map
    Thanks G'luck, for your answer. I think it's always important to have options and consider them from your budget and your needs.
    The Scan Gauge costs approximately $ 150.
    The Ultragauge, it seems that it has a great variety, from $ 50.
    I also found the ADS 625 Diagnostic Scan Tool at $ 5,000.
    Wow, there are options.
    It seems that the Torque Pro is still a good option for cost and information.

9. Pindal

Pindal Rank III

Member #:

Map
    Thanks Chris. I am also worried about having something permanently connected to the OBDII, but apparently, due to the experience of several, they do not have great inconveniences.

10. Quest4ADV

Quest4ADV Rank III
    Member Supporter +

Member #:

Map
    I've had it for years on different vehicles. I leave my ODBII reader plugged into my Ram Promaster Van all the time. Never had any problems. It came in handy back in August on the first day of a week long trip. The van started throwing error codes and was threatening to go into limp mode. I was able to sort out it was a DEF issue, and filled the tank with a better grade of DEF and clear the code.

Just last weekend I used it to monitor coolant temps on a LR Discovery II was looking at. It was over heating even though the CEL light on the dash wasn't coming on. I ended up walking away from it and probably saved myself thousands of dollars!

11. smritte

smritte Rank III

Member #:

Map
    #11 smritte, Dec 7, 2018 at 6:16 PM
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2018 at 6:21 PM
    I use it for home diagnostics, out and about monitoring and someone in the group having an engine light on. The Dongle you choose is the key though. The one I run is from scantool.net. Mine has the highest refresh rate of the bluetooth dongles. I would rate it close to my Snap On Modis for real time monitoring. This is more than most people need though and plan on spending $100.
    The $20 Dongles work for most people. You can read PID's, clear codes and do basic diagnostics. Most of those you don't want to leave plugged in though.

Scott

EDIT: forgot to add, mine is one of the few that work with IOS.
    https://www.scantool.net/obdlink-mxp/

The other Sean, TerryD and Pindal like this.
  12. KD7WCD

KD7WCD Rank III
    Founder 500 Member

Member #:

Map
    I've been using it for a few years now. I originally bought the dongle to diagnose a check engine type problem.

Once I had it I discovered all the real-time monitoring one can do. I'll set it up on my trailer tablet I use for navigation while I am out on longer trips. The information is more anecdotal than useful. Don't think I would be lost without it but but since it's there I use it.

My 2007 Xterra doesn't have a lot of bells and whistles like some of the newer vehicles out there have. So it never hurts to have access to a little more information about the health of the vehicle while on a trip.

Pindal, Jimmy P and TerryD like this.